What color is Autumn?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007

      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. (Leonardo DaVinci)

      I hope you have had time to notice the awesome fall colors.
      I was driving to work the other day, and I noticed that there are
      colors out there that don't even have names! So I tried to name
      them. It was difficult. The names we have for colors don't even
      come close, and it's almost impossible to describe them without using
      other color names or fruit names. You try it! It's not that easy.
      There was peachy pink, hmmm. I'll call that sunset. But then I'm
      using another word already invented. Now, what would I do to make up
      a name that doesn't exist? Smarly? Peank? No, peach and pink don't
      really combine to make a good word. What would you and your family
      come up with? I'm really glad I wasn't Adam, who had the job of
      naming things! No wonder he lived so long. And did Eve help him, or
      did he finish that before she came along?

      A friend of ours, Carl, has been given a few months to live.
      He is told he has inoperable brain cancer. But he has accepted his
      situation. Every once in a while, I think how fortunate I am. I
      don't have a fatal diagnosis – not yet. But Carl is happy and going
      on one day at a time, putting all his loose ends together. He has
      made all the arrangements that will make life easier for his wife.
      But, who is the lucky one? In our human thinking, we wish we could
      keep Carl with us. We cannot imagine heaven, and so we are often
      afraid of it. But we shouldn't fear it. Carl will just get there a
      little ahead of us. But Carl reminds me to savor every possible
      moment. When I'm at work I really enjoy the folks I work with. Work
      is home away from home, and I work with exceptional folks.

      All this to say, spring or fall, no matter when or
      where, `Ain't life grand?' I don't want to ignore fall because I
      know snow will follow, and though I'm not a fan of winter, I do love
      its beauty. I don't want to rush through life without noticing the
      names of things.

      A man said to me this week, "Every day is great and some are
      better." I couldn't agree more. It's fall! Have a hayride, a
      bonfire, a cookout, a bike ride, a hike – go camping – whatever it is
      that you love to do and don't miss this beautiful time of year! It
      doesn't last long.

      * * *
      "Everyman's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers." --
      Hans Christian Anderson

      * * *

      SIMPLE PUMPKIN PANCAKES

      1 c flour
      Pinch baking soda
      2 T sugar
      1/4 t cinnamon
      1/8 t ginger
      1/8 t nutmeg
      1 egg well-beaten
      1 1/4 c milk
      2 T melted shortening
      1/2 c canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato, cooked

      Combine flour, soda, sugar and spices. Combine egg, shortening,
      pumpkin and milk; add to flour mixture, beating until smooth. Bake on
      hot, lightly greased griddle, turning only once. Serve hot with
      butter and syrup or powdered sugar.

      columns.