Simple Fall Brilliance~

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2007

      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. (Leonardo DaVinci)

      Arching over our road is a canopy of brilliant colors. I
      don't know how people could live where fall colors do not bloom
      season to season. They miss out on a beautiful spectacle.
      Under the canopy, a plume of gold points down the road;
      another orange torch flames as sunlight reaches through to set it on
      fire. Another tree, bright red, stands sentry against the afternoon
      sky. Spring is great, summer is wonderful, and fall? Fall is
      amazing. Daily the colors turn competing with each other for
      attention. And they get attention from me. I love to drive and see
      God's beauty, watching the variations of gold, the reds fading to
      pink.
      Another piece to Autumn's puzzle is the garden produce. Last
      night we had a baked Buttercup squash. When you scoop out the pulp
      and mix it with just a touch of brown sugar and margarine, it's hard
      to believe that it was just a seed a couple months ago! No fall
      dinner is complete without winter squash, weather acorn, buttercup,
      butternut, etc.
      Whatever are your favorite things of fall, make sure you
      don't miss it! Driving right around our area are some lovely views –
      don't let them slip by unnoticed. There's still time for one last
      picnic, one last fall cruise, one last cook out.

      * * *

      Art is collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the
      artist does the better. --Andre Gide

      Chocolate Chip Streusel Coffee Cake

      streusel:

      1 c brown sugar
      1/2 c chocolate chips
      1/2 c walnuts, chopped
      2 T flour
      2 t cinnamon
      2 T butter, melted

      mix all in small bowl and set aside.

      coffee cake:

      1 pkg. yellow cake mix
      8 oz. sour cream
      3/4 c water
      3 eggs

      combine all ingredients, mix well, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
      spread 2/3 of batter in greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. sprinkle
      half of streusel mixture over cake. add rest of batter and sprinkle
      with rest of streusel. bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes. serves
      16.
      * * *

      "I have discovered that the people who believe most strongly in the
      next life do the most good in the present one." -- C.S. Lewis

      "Life is a big canvas, throw all the paint on it you can." -- Danny
      Kaye

      columns.