Recipe for Life

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2007

      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. (Leonardo DaVinci)

      Trust like a cake recipe...

      A daughter was telling her Mother how everything was going
      wrong. She's having a hard time in algebra, her boyfriend broke up
      with her and her best friend is moving away.

      Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake and asks her daughter if
      she would like a snack, and the daughter says, "Absolutely Mom, I
      love your cake."
      Here, have some cooking oil," her Mother offers. "Yuck" says her
      daughter. How about a couple raw eggs?" "Gross, Mom!" "Would you like
      some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?" "Mom, those are all yucky!"
      To which the mother replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad all by
      themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they
      make a wonderfully delicious cake!

      Usually, though, it's not God that puts the bad stuff in, it's
      the choices we make. Would you put a tablespoon of pepper in a
      cake? Or how about worms or dirt?

      But we do it to ourselves all the time. We let alcohol consume
      our lives. We choose partners who don't have the same values that we
      do. We take the lazy way out of life. We make people around us
      miserable and then wonder where our friends went! We can take a deep
      look at our lives and see where our choices are not good ones. We
      can take the simple route and make good choices for ourselves.

      God works the same way. Many times we wonder why He would let
      us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when
      He puts these things all in His order, they always work for good!
      There's always a good lesson to learn. We just have to trust Him
      and, eventually, they will all make something wonderful!

      * * *
      Free Heat!

      A man wanted to burn wood to heat his house for `free'. His new
      woodburner cost him $1500. His neighbor gave him some free wood. It
      was huge trunks from some trees that had to be removed. "Great!" he
      thought. So, he bought a chainsaw for $400. then he needed a pickup
      to haul the wood. Once he began cutting the wood, he realized he'd
      need to split it up. He bought an ax. Wow, was his shoulder sore
      that night. He saw an ad in the newspaper for log splitters. The
      large one was only $1599! Then he needed a shed to stack the wood.
      How's that for free wood?
      * * *
      Girls (or Guys) Day Out!

      Call the friends. Are you around family all the time and
      never get a break? Or maybe you are alone most of the time? Take a
      day and just get out! Have lunch together. Go shopping (even if you
      don't spend a dime) at thrift stores! Or just go for a walk. Or try
      something exciting that you've never done. Go kayaking, or fishing,
      or maybe a weekend camping trip! Go to a really funny movie, or have
      a campfire. They sky's the limit – just do it!

      ~Fall Apple Crisp~

      If you love apple pie, but don't love all the calories, make
      Apple Crisp, instead! Who cares if it doesn't have a crust? Like
      eating just the filling.
      And, it's even easier this way.
      In other areas around the country, it might not be so easy to
      find apples, but we have some great apple trees right on our
      property. Or you can just drive along the roadsides and find apples
      on almost any country road. Not even the deer will miss a few of the
      apples you picked, and to be sure, ask permission if there are any
      houses nearby. My neighbors just laugh and say, "Help yourself!"
      Peel some apples, and quarter. Remove the core. There are lots
      of gadgets you can use, but I just use a paring knife and peeler.
      It's just as fast for me.
      Fill a bowl and mix together some brown sugar and cinnamon, and
      a few tablespoons of flour. I add a little water too, to make the
      apple crisp kind of syrupy.
      For the crispy topping, you can mix oatmeal, a little more
      flour, more cinnamon, and some melted margarine or butter. Add some
      walnuts or pecans, if you like. Sprinkle on top. Bake 45 minutes to
      one hour at 350`. The apple crisp must be bubbling before it is
      done, to thicken the syrup. Serve warm or cold with cool whip, or a
      scoop of ice cream! (My dad likes cheese with his apple pie). This
      recipe works great with Splenda brown sugar, too.
      For a fun fall outing, invite some friends. Have everyone bring
      their favorite chili recipe, and have apple crisp for dessert! A
      great fall party. The kids will love running in the fall leaves with
      the dogs. You can have a hay ride, as well, or go for a walk.

      columns.