Simple Family History

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2007

      The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to be
      happy!
      * * *

      "Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own
      nature into his pictures." --Henry Ward Beecher

      This past week was a lot of travel, and a lot of fun for me.
      On Friday I traveled to Port Huron, the town I graduated from for a
      class reunion. Since I have a lot of interest in family history, I
      also spent the afternoon trying to track down family information in
      Sandusky Library.
      If you want to start finding out information you need a big
      pad of paper, a pen, and just start with what you know. I wrote down
      my own name on a genealogy chart and went back from there. I went to
      my parents, great-grand parents, and kept going as far as I could.
      One person suggested a binder for each branch of the family. I found
      dates, grave records, and I am still going, looking for information
      about the area they lived (Fremont Twp.), where they homesteaded.
      From there the information goes to Canada, New York, and back to
      Germany before that. Your family can share a subscription to
      Ancestry.com, and share the password and other genealogy sites. When
      the dates match, often other branches of your family have put
      information in you didn't know, and then you don't have to
      backtrack. It's like finding more pieces to the puzzle!
      When discussing this with my cousin Kathy at a family reunion
      on Sunday, I found out she's been to Herkimer County New York where
      our family had their own fort in the 1700's and fought several
      battles with the Indians, who were paid by the French to kill and
      destroy American-English settlements.
      Often there are books about the area your relatives settled.
      Museums, genealogists, historians and librarians can often be a good
      source of information. The internet has really speeded up the way we
      do research. Reading a book about family research will give you lots
      of ideas where to look. Old family papers are often the best source
      of great information, but not always available.
      I have been to yard sales and auctions where papers and
      photos were in free boxes because no one knew how they related to
      their family. How sad! If you have some of these, take the time to
      read and organize these. It can be a legacy your grandchildren will
      thank you for one day!
      Older relatives are the most valuable resource, of course.
      What they can remember is the greatest wealth available. My mother
      remembers a lot, and we plan to spend an afternoon with my great
      aunt, so see what we can find from her.
      I drove past my great grandparents home in Sandusky. The man
      who now lives there invited me in, and I took a few photos. It was
      like going back in time to enter that home when I hadn't been there
      since I was four years old! They were only the third owners of the
      home my great-grandfather built.
      My cousin and I plan to spend a few days next week to go
      through all our information, and see where we are. Later when we
      have found all we can, we dream of a trip to Germany to go even
      farther in our family history! Of course, this is only one of many
      family branches. You may find cousins living nearby that you didn't
      know you had. You can have everyone bring what they have to a family
      reunion. You can make copies of papers and photos for everyone at
      one place. What a fun hobby!

      * * *

      APPLE CHOW-CHOW

      1 gal. quartered apples 1 gal. quartered green tomatoes
      1 bunch celery 2 green sweet peppers, seeded
      1 qt. quartered onions 2 red sweet peppers, seeded
      2 cups. sugar 1 tsp each; allspice/ cinnamon/ cloves
      1 qt. cider vinegar salt to taste
      Directions:
      Grind the vegetables and apples. Combine the ground
      ingredients in kettle, then stir in the sugar and spices, mixing
      well. Add the vinegar, then bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring
      occasionally, until tender. seasoning with salt. Pour into hot
      sterilized jars and seal.

      columns.