The Power of Song and Smile

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007

      I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the
      favor of the kings of the world. ~~Thomas A. Edison

      At work a week ago, I had to enter a meeting room full of
      executives, not once, but three times! Talk about being nervous! I
      had to enter the room to consult with one of the members. I quickly
      and quietly as possible finished my business and got the heck out of
      there! No, I didn't trip, and hopefully didn't have broccoli between
      my teeth, or have a huge grease spot on the back of my pants, and I'm
      glad. But as I left the room, one of the girls in the room gave me a
      nice warm smile. Her smile put me right at ease, when I hadn't even
      realized how nervous I was. That smile got me to thinking. How
      often is someone who feels out of place just in need of a nice warm
      smile? Maybe you work in a hospital, insurance agency, or are a
      check out girl. Just one friendly smile can put someone at ease when
      they didn't even know how nervous they were. What a simple thing.
      Thanks, Denise, for your lovely smile!

      * * *

      While doing some gardening work at a job site, there were
      some folks who we "normal" people refer to these days
      as "challenged". A group of girls walked toward me and they were
      all making music. You couldn't call it a song, you couldn't catch
      the melody, and the words didn't make sense, but it was music none
      the less. It was kind of between humming and singing. Kind of like
      the music in the morning that the birds make. But it let me know
      they were happy. It was pleasant, and sent the message that all was
      well in their world. In fact, how many "normal" people I know could
      use a song in their day. I love to hear someone whistle as they go
      through their day. And as I often sing my why through the day, I've
      been told a couple times not to quit my day job, but who cares? Let
      the world know everything's okay. Who's "normal" now?

      * * *

      Simple Pizza Salad
      1 pound spiral macaroni, cooked and drained
      3 medium tomatoes, diced and seeded
      16 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
      1 to 2 bunches green onions, sliced
      3 ounces sliced pepperoni (or your favorite meat – like ham)
      1 chopped green pepper
      3/4 cup vegetable oil
      2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
      1/2 cup red wine vinegar
      2 teaspoons dried oregano
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      Croutons, optional
      In a large bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, Cheddar cheese, green
      onions and pepperoni. In a small bowl, combine oil, Parmesan cheese,
      vinegar and seasonings. Pour over macaroni mixture; toss to coat.
      Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Top with croutons just
      before serving if desired.
      Yield: 16 servings.

      * * *
      No matter what country you are reading this from, you might be aware
      that the 4th of July is upon us, Independence Day, here in the United
      States of America. Please join us while we celebrate, to take a
      moment and be thankful for all our many blessings. We are so
      blessed. May we all meet as one heart to pray for peace in the world
      and the end of hunger, hatred and violence. Peace begins in each
      heart. Pray for the safety of the military, trying to bring peace to
      the world. Be reminded again of the heritage we have, those who
      fought and died for our freedom.

      columns.