After the Drought

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007

      After the small drought we were having, the rain was such a
      relief! I took a walk through the yard enjoying the drops of rain
      that congregated on the Lady's Mantle and the Hostas. The plants
      were probably enjoying the moisture more than I was, but I was
      thinking they looked so much more healthy and happy. No amount of
      water from the hose can do what the rain can do. Life is like that
      too, isn't it?

      We go through the droughts- the hard times- to find out
      just how tough we are. Some of us just wither and never really come
      back. Sometimes the blows come from nowhere. None of us go through
      life without a tragedy or two. We can't hold them back. But some of
      us come back tougher than ever. We roll with the punches and take on
      the world, no matter what comes along, and find that we have grown
      smarter and stronger. Sometime it's the arm of a good friend around
      our shoulders, our family, or a spark in our career that acts like a
      fertilizer that gives us a bit of energy we didn't have all on our
      own. That's why we be that fertilizer to others when we are not in a
      drought.

      And then comes that rain. After a long drought we don't
      believe it can happen, but it does. It always comes. Refreshing and
      cool – lifegiving, a second chance. We may be hanging on by our
      fingers but we just can't give up. Never give up. No matter how bad
      it gets, there are those who have weathered worse. We keep on going
      even when we can't see the rain cloud just beyond the horizon.

      Here are some simple ideas to weather the drought – Laugh!
      Anytime you can laugh it's a boost of energy. Cry. Sometimes we
      just have to cry. There's no running from a good cry. Let it out.
      It's better than holding it in. Take care of yourself. What is
      healing to you, may not be healing to me, but you know what they
      are. A cup of tea, a chocolate sundae, or a walk on the beach, a
      nap – do what it takes. Alone time or friend time - get what you
      need. Even when you don't think there isn't enough time – squeeze it
      in. Somehow, someway find what you need. But be careful! We can
      tell ourselves a lot of things are good for us that only destroy us
      slowly. Eat healthy. Find a healthy hobby like gardening. And
      helping others takes your mind off your own problems. Be your own
      best friend. And when the rains come, be ready for all that new
      growth. You'll be glad you did. Just don't give up. That good `ol
      rain might be just around the corner, but even when its not, it will
      come. You can simply depend on it!

      * * *
      Beauticians Don't Exist!

      A lady went to a beauty shop to have her hair fixed up. As the
      beautician began to work, they began to have a good conversation.
      When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the beautician
      said : "I don't believe God exists." "Why do you say that?" asked
      Cheryl who had MS. "Well, you just have to go out in the street to
      realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there
      be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God
      existed, there wouldn't be suffering or pain. I can't imagine a
      loving God who would allow all of those things." Cheryl didn't want
      to argue. The beautician finished her job and the Cheryl left the
      shop. Just after she left, she saw a woman in the street with long,
      stringy, dirty hair - not groomed at all. Cheryl turned back to the
      beauty shop and said to the beautician: "You know what? Beauticians
      do not exist." "How can you say that?" asked the surprised
      beautician. "I am here, and I am a beautician. And I just worked on
      you!" "No!" Cheryl exclaimed. "Beauticians don't exist because if
      they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair, like that
      woman outside." "Ah, but beauticians DO exist! What happens is,
      people do not come to me." "Exactly!"- said Cheryl. "That's the
      point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don't go to Him
      and do not look for Him. That's why there's so much pain and
      suffering in the world."

      * * *

      "There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when
      they are shown, those who do not see." -- Leonardo da Vinci

      "The people in your life are like the pillars on your porch.
      Sometimes they hold you up, and sometimes they lean on you. Sometimes
      it's enough to know they are standing by." -- Merle Shain

      "The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes
      from within -- strength, courage, dignity." -- Ruby Dee

      * * *

      A friend recently let me sample a bite of his key lime pie. I'd
      never had this before and that one bite was delish! Here is an easy
      recipe I found, you might want to try, but if you have a favorite,
      please send it in so I can try it! Or any other cool summer time pie
      you love!(thesimple_life@...)

      Simple Key Lime Pie

      1 can sweetened condensed milk
      4 egg yolks
      1 c. key lime juice
      Green coloring (opt.)
      Mix ingredients together. Beat 1 egg white stiff and fold into the
      above mixture. Pour into baked graham cracker pie shell. Beat 3 egg
      whites and gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cream
      of tartar. Spread over filling, forming peaks and bake at 350 degrees
      until egg whites are golden brown. Or just use whipped topping on
      top!

      columns.