Famly Gone Wild!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007

      Family Gone Wild!!!

      We met some `bikers' a couple years ago near Alpena. Now these
      were not your ordinary bikers. These tough bikers were really tough
      bikers - like none I've ever met before! Actually, it was a guy and
      two girls – mom, dad and daughter! They were finishing up the
      adventure of a lifetime. The have been traveling around the
      perimeter of the US, (the lower 48) on – bicycles! This great
      adventure had spanned nearly 20 years.
      When their daughter was 3 years old, this couple started peddling
      in Wisconsin, traveling west. She rode along in a little trailer
      behind mom or dad. When she was 8 she started riding her own bike.
      Now, 19 years later, they were finishing the last leg of the trip –
      Port Huron to Minnesota -their daughter now 22. They rode up the rest
      of the coast of Lake Huron, through the straits of Mackinaw, and East
      around the eastern tip of the U.P., up to Sault St. Marie around the
      shore of Lake Superior and on to Wisconsin. They were debating going
      to Isle Royale when we met them.
      They rode in all kinds of weather, up mountains, across rivers,
      alongside oceans - and fixed a few flat tires along the way. One
      year, mom's bike was stolen. Bummer.
      They took the winters off from their trip, traveling only in the
      summer. But they did finish and had quite an education along the
      way! They saw lighthouses, wildlife, accidents, and had a few bad
      restaurant meals and met some very interesting people.
      What is it you have always wanted to do? You might want to
      start small. Bike around a lake, visit every state park, climb
      Sleeping Bear Dunes, canoe a whole river from beginning to end.
      Drive to Alaska! Whether you pick a huge goal like the family I
      mentioned, or a more workable goal – do it! When you make the
      decision to see that it happens, you can make it happen. Your goal
      might take 20 years, it might take a lifetime, but who cares! It's
      never too late to start!
      * * *

      Easy Recipe – Shrimp Verde! Sent to us from Ann in Belleville, MI
      (near Ann Arbor) She notes that this recipe tastes like a million
      bucks, especially if you have fresh herbs!
      2T olive oil
      2 cloves garlic
      ¼ c chopped green onion
      1 lb. Fresh shrimp, peeled and deviened
      ½ c Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
      ½ c freshly grated Parmesan cheese

      Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute garlic and scallions. Heat
      briefly, but do not brown the garlic. Toss in shrimp and saute until
      pink and opaque in the center. Stir in parsley and heat through.
      Remove from heat and pour into a serving dish. Sprinkle with grated
      Parmesan cheese. Serve over angel hair pasta, or homemade linguine.
      What's your favorite easy recipe that you can send in? Send it to
      thesimple_life@....

      * * *

      Travel Tip – when traveling with a friend, family, or spouse, pack
      half your clothing in each suitcase. That way if luggage gets lost,
      you still have some clothing to wear!

      * * *

      "It all comes down to this -- joy is the result of the choices that
      you make. If you are choosing to be thankful and learning to be
      content, then you are opening your heart to that joy."~~Sally Clarkson

      "The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes
      from within -- strength, courage, dignity." ~~Ruby Dee
      * * *

      In the Garden:

      Some annuals act like perennials when they reseed yearly and come
      back. Many annuals will do this when given a chance. They might
      need some help. Learn what the tiny sprouts look like when they come
      up. Keep them watered to give them a good start. Don't be afraid to
      move them where you want them. Annuals usually move easily – just
      water well!

      columns.