Newness of Spring!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2007

      I just love spring! Yesterday we saw new colts and new
      calves that you could tell were just born because the white on their
      bodies was absolutely pure white. What tells them how to nurse, who
      is their mother, when to get up and walk? It's just so amazing! We
      also saw a family of geese. The father was charging toward cars to
      protect his family. If you don't have baby animals, take your kids
      to a farm where they can see some baby animals. This is the time of
      year when everything is new. Enjoy the appleblossoms, tulips, and
      Lupines.

      If you love perennials, you will want to have a few Lupine. Lupine
      can get 3-4 feet tall with striking flower spikes in many colors.
      They bloom early in summer, but when you cut off the spikes before
      they go to seed, they will usually bloom again. In the upper
      peninsula of Michigan, they grow wild in many areas. They need cold
      weather to come back, and will come back for years.
      Butterflies love Lupine, as do hummingbirds and bees. They are a
      staple of a cottage garden.

      I read once that weeding the garden, once it is worked up you only
      have to cultivate the top inch. This past week, I tried it, and it
      really is true! There were tiny seeds sprouting like silver
      threads. As you plant your garden, take a rake, the back of a garden
      rake, a small tiller, or a hoe, whatever works for you, and just run
      it over the surface of your garden. Do this once every two weeks.
      It's not hard to do, and does destroy thousands and thousands of
      weeds, right as they sprout. Get them right in the beginning, before
      you can barely see them, and you will have a much easier time keeping
      them out of your garden. Having a garden doesn't mean you have to
      work that hard, and getting those little suckers before they get big
      is the easiest way to get rid of them.

      Get the kids involved as much as possible, and have fun! A friend of
      mine plants pumpkins with his kids, they sell them out front on a
      picnic table in the fall, and that is their money for new school
      clothes and extras that they need. The kids love it! And dad
      doesn't mind it either. The kids are learning about money, and
      gardening and having lots of fun! There is so much good for kids to
      learn in a garden. They learn to nurture things, instead of
      destroy. Helping mom can jam, and pickles, and all the good food is
      good too! It promotes thriftyness in our society of spending. Don't
      get caught up with your family of all the things that are time
      wasters. Spending time together working together on projects is one
      of the best ways to promote family time and good values.

      When you have the kids friends over to your house, you know what they
      are doing, and usually the kids think what your family does is so
      much fun! I can remember shelling fresh peas at my friends house on
      the picnic table, and eating them, of course. It was so much fun –
      and so simple!

      * * *
      This week I saw a mom entering a store and telling her kids – "if you
      don't behave, we will leave!" When I heard her say that, I told her
      she was was doing a good job. Earlier in the day, another mother
      with three kids was letting them run wild. One little boy was trying
      so hard to get her attention, but she just ignored them, and when she
      did tell them to come back near her, they just ignored her. She
      didn't follow up her direction with action. She should have taken
      them by the hand (gently) and if they stayed wild, she should have
      left. The other mother was giving her kids a second chance to be
      well behaved, and leaving if they didn't behave told them she meant
      business. She thanked me for telling her she was doing the right
      thing. Parents who are doing the right thing need to be
      complimented. Sometimes a little praise can go a long way and help
      build their confidence!

      * * *

      Store clean linen sets inside the set's pillow case. This way, you
      can pull one pillow case from the linen closet and have the entire
      sheet set ready to put on a bed.

      * * *

      Orange Dreamsicle Cake

      Serves 12

      2 Eggs
      1 regular sized vanilla cake mix
      1 can Orange soda pop
      2 packages Jell-O Orange
      1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
      1 cup milk
      2 cups water
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      8 ounces Cool Whip Whipped Topping

      Mix cake mix with orange pop and eggs. Spray 9X13 cake pan with Pam,
      pour batter into pan. Bake 20 -30 minutes at 350 degrees. When cake
      is done, poke holes in the cake with fork sprayed with Pam. Mix 1
      package of orange jello in 1 cup hot water until dissolved. Add 1 cup
      Cold water pour entire mixture over cake Refrigerate for at least 2
      hours. Mix Vanilla pudding mix and other pack of jello together (dry)
      Add 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp. vanilla Mix well, Blend in Thawed cool
      whip, Use this mixture to frost cake! Keep cake refrigerated.

      columns: