Simple Kindness

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2007

      "Did you hear what I said?" came the loud, sarcastic voice of
      the man loading his truck next to us as he spoke to his wife. Why
      didn't he say, "Honey we need to leave room for the spare tire" in a
      nice voice or a hundred other things that wouldn't have been mean.
      She probably hadn't understood what he meant in the first place. She
      said nothing, likely to keep the peace. Kindness doesn't take any
      more time – just patience.
      Over the weekend while we were in a restaurant, a table close
      to us was discussing an open house. "My nephew's open house is June
      9th. I think it's a Saturday."
      "No, June 9th is a Friday. I'm positive of that because
      I have such a busy week I know exactly which day is which. The 9th
      is a Friday," said woman #2.
      "Oh, hmmm I just assumed it was a Saturday," said the first
      woman. Then the conversation went on to other things. It just so
      happened that I also had an open house on the 9th, and was almost
      positive it was on Saturday, but let it slip from my mind until the
      next day. I remembered what I had overheard and went to check the
      calendar. Sure enough, the 9th was – you guessed it – Saturday!
      Why didn't lady #2 say – "I'm pretty sure the 9th is a
      Friday," or "I think the 9th is a Friday," but the way she said it
      left no room for error, even though she truly was wrong. She made
      herself look bad just because of the way she said it!
      Kindness. It only takes moments. And we save ourselves the
      embarrassment of being wrong. But why do people jump to say things
      in a nasty way first, rather than just being kind in the first
      place. Sure, we are all guilty of this, at times, but hopefully not
      on a regular basis.
      Once while having dinner out of doors I mentioned that it was
      so nice `dining alfresco'.
      "'Dining alfresco!' That means `dining naked'!" A fellow
      diner exclaimed.
      "No, I think it means dining in the fresh air." I replied.
      "No, no, no, it means dining naked!" the man adamantly
      exclaimed. I later found an article that referred to dining alfresco
      and it meant exactly "dining outdoors, outside, external"
      or `uncovered' – which I suppose could be `naked'. But I had been
      right. Unfortunately the man who so rudely told me I was wrong left
      more of an impression than the wonderful outdoor meal.
      Let's take mean sarcasm and put-downs right out of our
      speech. We may never know when we may be wrong and will look the
      fool. We don't have to put the other person down and make them feel
      like a fool to be right.
      Sometimes it is easier to let it go, but it wouldn't hurt to
      say, "Let's check the calendar", or "I didn't understand what you
      meant.", or let's check the Thesaurus. If you have a chance to show
      the other person you are right, do it then. That's not bossy or
      arrogant – it's assertive. If there are people in your life you are
      afraid to make a point of something find an assertiveness class in
      your area and take it. It's good for all of us to not let the bully
      get away with it.

      * * *
      "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." --Anais Nin

      "Other people's opinion of you does not have to become your
      reality." -- Les Brown

      * * *Simple Recipe* * *
      Our simple recipe comes to us this week from Juanita, who
      lives south of Nashville Tenn. Thanks for sharing Juanita! Juanita
      says she struggles with the fast food enticements as well, but is
      trying to cook healthier at home.

      Chicken Rigatini

      4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to tenderize
      8 oz can tomato sauce
      4 oz can mushroom pieces and stems
      1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded

      Put the chicken on a foil covered baking pan. Top each piece with
      about 2 T. tomato sauce, season with oregano, salt and pepper,
      followed by mushrooms, and top w/ cheese. Bake in 350 oven for about
      20 minutes, or until juices run clear. (I usually serve this w/
      buttered noodles and steamed broccoli or a green salad.)

      Don't for get to send in your favorite simple recipe!
      (thesimple_life@...)

      OR!!! Do you have a garden question? Write in! We will all try to
      help! (thesimple_life@...)

      ~ In the Garden~
      It only takes a couple bags of potting soil and a few lumber
      scraps to make a nice little garden. You can grow some lettuce,
      onions, a pepper and cherry tomato plant, a few radishes to have a
      small salad garden. Put one of these where they only get morning sun
      for broccoli, and cabbage, plant who like it cool. Water daily and
      fertilize as needed. Organic right at home! Put it together with
      your kids, or borrow the neighbor kids and get them interested in
      gardening!

      columns: