Rhubarb in Spring

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 6:04 AM

      To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than
      luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not
      respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds,
      babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly,
      act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to
      let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the
      common--this is my symphony. ~~ William Henry Channing

      Go to jail, no cell phones, no work release, no blackberry, no
      computer. That was the sentence an American celebrity recently
      received – 45 days in jail for drunk driving on a suspended license -
      while on probation. She says it's "unfair treatment". I say, just
      maybe the judge cares enough about you to teach you a lesson.
      Fortunately, no one was hurt. Unfortunately some of us don't learn
      without consequences. But when we push the envelope, sometimes it
      come back to spank us. I can't help wondering if she'd had a
      spanking or two when she was young, she might not be in this
      predicament now. I hope she learns her lesson. Only time will tell.

      * * *

      Spring Rhubarb

      There's hardly anyone here in Michigan who doesn't have Rhubarb
      growing somewhere in their yard. It grows almost anywhere in any
      yard, and makes a nice border plant in the sun. If you want some, you
      have a friend who has it, so just dig up some roots and take it home
      and get it going. Mixing in some good compost is a good idea, and
      keep it watered well until it takes off. Water in dry weather. Some
      people don't like it, but we do. Rhubarb has a distinct sour flavor,
      but like anything else, you just might acquire a taste for it It's
      one of the easiest vegetables to grow. I keep the seed heads torn
      off and have rhubarb growing all summer. But it's best in the
      spring. Last night I picked some rhubarb. The stalks are similar in
      size to celery. Cut of the root part, and the leaves. (I throw them
      right down in the garden.) wash the stems and cut in ½ inch pieces.
      If the stems are thick, you can slice lengthwise first.
      Mix with ½ cup brown sugar, 1 t cinnamon, ¼ cup flour. Mix in some
      chopped strawberries, if desired. Topping: ½ c oatmeal, ¼ c flour,
      ¼ c brown sugar, 2 T margarine. Mix, sprinkle on top, bake 45
      minutes @ 350`.

      Nothing tastes like spring like a Rhubarb crisp. You can make a pie,
      but Rhubarb Crisp is healthier with less fat and calories – and
      easier, too! There is a photo of it on the website (below) if you
      want to know what it looks like. You can see the big green leaves.

      ~~~Simple Meal Ideas~~~

      When I get out of work on my way home, there are numerous
      opportunities to stop and grab something quick to eat. There's
      MickeyD's (McDonalds's) as we call it, KFC, Bob Evans, $5. pizzas (my
      first choice), sub shops, and innumerable other possibilities. Some
      healthy, and some not so much. I'd wager a bet that almost every
      country is the same. And every once in a while, I do bring home a
      treat. But I always tell myself "there's good food at home". And
      there is.

      Last night was one of those nights. I could eat the moment I walk in
      the door (or on the way!), but some how there is not as much
      satisfaction in that, as well as spending more money than I need too
      when I've already bought groceries. Even if you have a day off, who
      wants to spend hours cooking? That might be the day you are tempted
      to run for take out. So, for a while I will try to (with your help!)
      suggest some meals that take less than a half hour to prepare – and
      taste great at the same time. Please submit your own great fast
      recipes. Crock pot recipes are good ones too, because you can throw
      something in in the morning, and have something ready when you get
      home. So, here goes. Help me out with your suggestions, and we will
      be helping each other out. My email is the simple_life@....
      Soon we will have two weeks full of fast and family recipes that take
      only minutes to prepare! Then we will be able to put together a menu
      for two weeks at a time and rotate them around

      Today's idea.
      ~~~Simple Goulash~~~

      To make this and other recipes even quicker, cook your burger
      (hamburger, venison, chicken, turkey, ahead with some onion if you
      like, and have some cooked, drained packages of hamburger all ready
      in the freezer. You could do this once a month making two or so
      containers of hamburger and be ready for the whole month. You could
      do the same with macaroni, etc. for easy dishes. Thaw in microwave,
      or pull out of the freezer in the morning.

      I usually make enough for 4 people, so there will be leftovers for
      the next day, or to take to work for lunches. You will have to
      adjust this to fit the number of people in your family.
      ½ pound hamburger cooked, drained with chopped onion and green pepper
      One quart canned tomatoes
      One can – 10 ounces - tomato soup
      2 T tomato sauce
      Salted cooked elbow macaroni, ziti, spirals, etc. Whole wheat if
      possible. Mix together and heat well. Serve with whole wheat bread
      and butter. We often add a can of green beans, or even peas right to
      the casserole, or on the side. Takes only about 15 minutes to
      prepare if you have the hamburger and noodles ready to go.

      columns: