The Simple Life - The Road of Life

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2003
      The Simple Life –

      Each day I get a "Daily Serving" of Chicken Soup for the Soul in my
      e-mail box. Six days a week. I never miss. Often I have tears
      dripping on my shirt, or into my coffee in the morning as I read the
      heartwarming story of the day. Often they amaze me, challenge me,
      or teach me a valuable lesson. Last Friday morning was no
      exception.

      Last Friday morning I opened my "Daily Serving" and was in shock as
      I scrolled down to the story. The story was mine. Last year I had
      a story published in "Chicken Soup for the Christian Woman's Soul".
      That was amazing enough. Now my story "Sunset in the Rearview
      Mirror" was being read by thousands, maybe millions of people around
      the world. But that wasn't what really amazed me. Last Friday was
      May 16th. May 16 is my 8th wedding anniversary. What made the
      hair on the back of my neck stand on end was not that I'd written
      the story, or that it made it in the book, or even onto the "Daily
      Serving" –but the fact that my story appeared on our anniversary.
      Why was that so amazing? Because the whole story was about how some
      of the hard times in my life looked like a beautiful sunset when
      viewed from the perspective of looking back.

      Some may think it an odd coincidence. Not me. Not for a minute.
      Only God knew that was my anniversary. That's how he works. Every
      now and then he lets us know unquestionably, and when we least
      expect it, that He loves us, He cares for us, and He will be with
      us, no
      matter what. Never lose hope!!!!!! He has such incredible plans
      for us, if we will let Him use
      us! Friday was my day. He planned it and I didn't doubt it for a
      minute. Pay attention. Your day may be next!
      * * *
      The Road of Life

      At first, I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the
      things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell
      when I die. He was out there sort of like a president. I recognized
      His picture when I saw it, but I really didn't know Him. But later
      on when I met Christ, it seemed as though life were rather like a
      bike ride, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Christ was
      in the back helping me pedal. I don't know just when it was that He
      suggested we change places, but life has not been the same since.

      When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring, but
      predictable it was the shortest distance between two points. But
      when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains,
      and through rocky places at breakneck speeds. It was all I could do
      to hang on!

      Even though it looked like madness, He said, "Pedal!" I worried and
      was anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He laughed and
      didn't answer, and I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring
      life and entered into the adventure, and when I'd say, "I'm scared,"
      He'd lean back and touch my hand. I gained love, peace, acceptance
      and joy; gifts to take on my journey, My Lord's and mine. And we
      were off again.

      He said, "Give the gifts away. They're extra baggage, too much
      weight." So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving
      I received, and still our burden was light.

      I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He'd
      wreck it; but he knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bend to
      take sharp corners, knows how to jump to clear high rocks, knows how
      to fly to shorten, scary passages. And I am learning to shut up and
      pedal in the strangest places, and I'm beginning to enjoy the view
      and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant
      companion, Jesus Christ.

      And when I'm sure I just can't do it anymore, He just smiles and
      says... "Pedal." - Unknown
      * * *
      YOUR CROSS
      Whatever your cross
      Whatever your paid
      There will always be sunshine.
      After the rain
      Perhaps you may stumble
      Perhaps even fall
      But God's always there
      To help you through it all.

      Keeping the Road of Life Simple,
      Dedicated to the Senior Class of 2003

      Sheryl

      Please let me know your favorite garden flower and why!