Bluebird house project

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 10:46 AM

      The Bluebird House

      Last week the weather was really nice here in Michigan, but
      it was still pretty muddy to get a lot of garden work done, and we
      are sure to get more frost, so I had it in my head that I was going
      to build some bluebird houses with some wood scraps I had left over.
      It was a nice day to take the saw, and the tools to the greenhouse
      and work out of the wind. I was about to change to another little
      job but when I walked through my backyard, there were my bluebirds,
      already back from the south! Bluebirds are different than Bluejays.
      Bluebirds look more like robins, with the male a very brilliant blue,
      and a redbreast. The females are paler in color. They were
      investigating the bluebird house I already have in the backyard. I
      sat on my patio with the dog and we watched them flit around for a
      few minutes, and then I decided I'd better get my new birdhouses
      painted and hung so they would have more homes available.
      Bluebirds tend to nest back in the same area they've been to
      before. They like areas near fields and eat worms, bugs and
      generally the same diet that robins eat. They like fence lines where
      they can perch and watch for things to eat. In their natural
      habitat, they like to nest in hollow trees near fields, so that is
      why they like wooden box houses, because it seems like a hollow
      tree. They like the entrance holes for their houses to be 1 ¼ inches
      round.
      Well, I got the houses painted and out on the posts, and I
      don't know if there will be more bluebirds yet (they are kind of
      shy), but there are a few more homes available.
      The tulips, grape hyacinth, narcissus and daffodils are all
      getting ready to bloom. The tree buds are bursting; ready to pop
      open. Even the grass is turning green and growing. The spring rains
      are bringing their moisture to bring us back to summer. For those of
      us who love to garden, it's just in our blood, isn't it? We can't
      wait to get our hands in the dirt, pulling stray weeds and
      rearranging things.
      While it's still early, I like to think over my yard and
      decide what changes I'd like to make this year. I have flower pots,
      birdbaths, and other accents that I like to change around. Even
      gardens can be changed for a whole different look. Vegetable gardens
      don't have to be in straight rows anymore! Whatever you want to do
      to jazz up your yard, you don't have to spend a lot – just use your
      imagination and a little elbow grease. It's fun, simple, and good
      exercise. Using rocks, plants from the neighbors, and even a flat of
      annuals from the local greenhouse (with a couple vegetable plants
      mixed in), anyone can have a small garden for next to nothing. So
      don't think you are not a gardener. Ask for some advice from the
      local garden center, they will be glad to help – and dig in! You
      will find that green thumb after all – it's that simple.

      Note: If you want to build a bluebird house like I did, just do a
      search on the internet. Type in: bluebird house plans, or something
      similar, and you will have many different plans to choose from! Then
      you can print and build your own bluebird house, just like I did!
      * * *

      Simple Cracker Onion Pie ~

      1 c. crushed saltine crackers 2/3 c. butter, divided 2 large
      onions, thinly sliced 4 eggs 1 c. milk 1 t. salt 1/2 t. black
      pepper 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, combine crushed crackers
      and 1/3 cup melted butter. Press over the bottom and up the sides of
      a 9-inch pie plate that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray,
      forming a crust.

      In a large skillet, over medium high heat, sate the onions in the
      remaining 1/3 cup of the butter for 12 to 15 minutes or until the
      onions are tender. Carefully pour the onion mixture into the crust.

      In a medium-sized bowl, use a fork to thoroughly beat the eggs,
      milk, salt and pepper; pour over the onions. Sprinkle the cheese
      over the top and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden
      and the center is set. Let stand for 5 minutes then cut into wedges
      and serve. 6 to 8 servings. Note: I used whole wheat crackers for
      this, and when they are available, I will try this with Vidalia
      onion. This was really good!

      * * *

      "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
      matter." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

      "Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the
      undertaker will be sorry." -- Mark Twain

      "When we carve out a niche for ourselves in our imagined future, and
      decide that we won't be happy until we achieve it, we can only feel
      threatened and anxious over anything that stands in our way." -- Nido
      Qubein

      columns: