Simple Home Building

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19 8:30 PM

      "Spring is when life's alive in everything." ~~ Christina Rossetti

      "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every
      time we fail." ~ ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

      If you were to build a new home, would you use the cheapest
      materials and buy good insurance, or would you use quality materials
      to start with? We laugh, but it's not really funny. When it comes
      to families, too often we give little thought to how to start a
      family. We date the first person that comes along and think that
      building a family with that person will all work out. We give no
      thought as to what their values are, what kind of nurturer or
      provider they will be. And probably our biggest mistake is not even
      knowing who WE are! Who do you want to be? What kind of career do
      you want to have? Having a family is fulfilling, but so is a career,
      and the career is often a greater part of your life! When that last
      child walks out the door to make a life of her own, you are on your
      own again, as well. Sure there will be visits and grandkids, most
      likely, but you or you and your spouse, are almost back to square
      one. It's like starting over again, and there are a lot of years to
      go.
      So the most important question you can ask starting out
      is "Who do I want to be?" You must know this before you can ask the
      question "Who do I want to spend my life with?" "How many kids will
      we have?" "Where will we live?"
      And before the kids start coming, its good to ask, "What kind
      of parents will we be?" Borrow nieces, nephews, or neighbor's kids,
      if possible. Get some practice.
      What are your family core values going to be? Talk about
      this way before the two little words "I Do" come into the picture.
      If she smokes a little pot or he drinks a little too much, or has job
      issues, or a temper, or any other obvious defect, walk away while you
      are still intact. It's not worth it. Partying might be cute in high
      school, but it's not cute when it comes to having a family-
      responsibility is.

      Here are some simple core family values to think about –
      · Faith. Does this person share my religious values?
      · Doing the right thing. Is this a person I can trust? Is she
      a person who I can count on to do the right thing when the rough
      times come along?
      · Giving Back. Is this a person who will give or take when it
      comes to your family? Can you imagine this person cleaning up after
      a child with the flu?
      · Is this person interested in building strong family
      relationships?
      · Is this person really a person I can count on to give 110 %?
      · Will this person respect me as a person to fulfill my dreams?
      · Is this person strong enough to be a parent to our children,
      or a friend, because kids need parents, not just another "buddy"!
      · Is this person flexible enough to take change in stride?
      · Is this person financially responsible? Does she have a
      savings account? Does he depend on his family to bail him out in
      tight times? Is she a person who would be willing to work on her own
      flaws when necessary?

      Don't use the excuse "Well, nobody's perfect." Don't compromise.
      A young man in the armed services was sent to Kuwait. He wrote to
      his grandmother, "This is really boring. All I do day after day is
      guard the sand!"
      Grandmother wrote back, "Guarding the sand is good." Often
      family can be as boring as guarding the sand. There are diapers, and
      fixing dinner, and mowing the grass and doing an oil change. There
      are also lots of good times. Doing the right thing is not always
      fun, but it feels good in the end.
      * * *

      "How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply
      important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage
      ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most." ~~
      Stephen Covey

      Simple Oatmeal Cake
      Stir together:
      1 c quick oats, 1-1/2 c boiling water

      Set aside. Cream together: 1/2 c butter or oleo, 1 c light brown
      sugar, 1 c sugar, 2 eggs

      Sift together: 1-1/3 c flour, 1/2 t baking soda, 1 t cinnamon

      Add to cream mixture and oats. Bake in 350` degree oven in greased 9
      X 13 cake pan.
      Topping
      On stove top mix: 1/2 c butter or margarine,1 c brown sugar,
      1 c nuts, 1 c coconut, 5 T evaporated milk. Bring to boil till sugars
      melt. Pour over cake, put under broiler till coconut is toasty.

      columns: