It's Simple - Put up or Shut up!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2007

      "The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to
      be happy."

      "Put Up or Shut Up!"

      A coworker told me her husband is always complaining about
      his job. "I almost hate to go home", she said. "I hear it all night
      long, `I don't like this, and I don't like that'. I get so tired of
      listening to it all." My friend is usually upbeat and happy, but her
      hubby is a real downer.

      "Put up or shut up!" I commented.

      "What was that?" she asked. "I never heard that before!"

      "Put up or shut up," I repeated.

      "I'm going to use that!" she exclaimed! "I love it!"

      Can you imagine wanting to go to work to get away from the stress at
      home? Many of us do. Or many of us are the complainers in the
      family, oblivious to what we do to our families. We all know these
      people – whine, whine, whine.

      However, whining can be a good thing! Yes, whining is good
      for us – but only to a point.

      Every once in a while my husband and I think of moving. We
      live in a house in the country, surrounded by farmland and woods.
      But the woods are not on our property. But they are beautiful. We
      don't have any close neighbors, so except for the "flatlanders" who
      like to come up from the cities and bring their noise with them,
      tearing around the countryside in snowmobiles, and four-wheelers, we
      live in relative peace and quiet. We garden, go camping, take lots
      of day trips, and enjoy having friends over for a campfire – that
      type of thing.

      Our taxes are low, there is a big garden, a nice cozy old
      farmhome. We don't live close to town, so running out of milk is not
      a good thing. We enjoy sunsets and sunrises, and presently huge
      drifts of white frosting covering nearly everything in sight. Come
      spring – a few weeks hence – we will have mud for a week or so,
      depending on the rainfall. My little car will look like I've been
      mudbogging. But move? Could we find anything we really loved more?
      Doubtful.

      So if you get my drift, the nasty things about where we live,
      sometimes seem to outweigh the great things. Humans who want to go
      fishing are pleased to find a nice fat earthworm under a rock, but at
      other times that same worm is just yuck. Can you think of anything
      you can't find something to complain about? If you drive an SUV, you
      probably like the size and nice ride. You probably complain about
      the mileage. If you drive a compact car, you like the mileage, but
      dislike the "sardine can" feeling. If you live in a mansion, you
      probably have to hire people to help take care of it. If you live in
      a small house, there may be much less maintenance, and time involved
      in the care of things.

      So dissatisfaction can be a good thing! What is the
      big `bug' under your skin? Go ahead, complain! But then mentally,
      or with paper and pen, figure out the pros and cons. Ask yourself,
      what is it that I like or dislike about whatever it is you are
      complaining about. Complaining can be our vehicle for change, or it
      can be our `whining ground'.

      Hate your job or your house, or your car? Change it! If you
      find yourself whining about it, you just need to decide if you want
      to do the work to change it. If not, quit complaining! Go back to
      school, get a new job, buy a different car – but we don't want to
      hear about it. And teach your kids how to change things, not
      complain about them. Brainstorm for something better. Do something –
      or nothing - but just quit complaining! Please! And if you have a
      husband or friend who won't quit complaining – give them a copy of
      this~ It's on me!

      * * *

      Ones first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one´s last
      is to come to terms with everything. ~~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
      We don´t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a
      journey that no one can take for us or spare us.~~ Marcel Proust
      I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can
      say is they must change if they are to get better.~~ Georg Christoph
      Lichtenberg

      Simple Eight Layer Nacho Dip

      1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
      1 T taco seasoning mix
      1 c sour cream
      1 c chunky salsa
      1 c shredded lettuce
      1 c Mexican-style shredded cheese
      1/2 cup sliced green onions
      2 t sliced pitted ripe olives
      1/2 c chopped tomatoes

      Layer in order preferred and serve with baked chips or snack
      crackers, or tortilla chips. Makes 6 cups

      columns: