Hollywood Unhappiness

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes
      happiness

      Hollywood Simple?

      It seems we can't get away from the stories of unhappy celebrities
      when we watch the news. Its as bad as just before an election while
      opponents are trashing each other. We hear it over and over. And
      why do we even care what is going on with these spoiled brats of the
      media? Does anyone get it that most of these people, who may be
      millionaires are NOT HAPPY?

      The more attention they get, the more they seem to want.
      It's really sad. Britney, Anna Nicole, the list goes on and on. How
      many marriages, how many suicides, do they think we want to hear
      about? It's interesting how Anna Nicole wanted to model her life
      after Marilyn Monroe, and it ended just as sadly. But the question
      in my mind is why would anyone want to model herself after someone
      who was so obviously unhappy? Was there anything fulfilling in any
      of their lives? Certainly not worth emulating. Dollars do not seem
      to represent functioning brain cells! So many celebrities seem to be
      acting like hungry dogs just escaped from the kennel. They rush from
      one garbage can to another, looking to be loved and fed and actually
      thinking that the more attention they get, the greater they are. But
      they just can't seem to keep from heaping more and more hurt and
      abuse on themselves, and unfortunately, their children.

      Its so very sad. But even sadder still are the kids who
      watch these icons of maturity and wish to be just like them. Aren't
      they proof that money and fame are just not what makes a person
      happy? No matter how alone a person is, doesn't make a person
      lonely. Finding happiness in ourself is really the only answer.
      Finding something that you do well - your greatest gift from God, or
      learning to do something well, and finding pride in your own
      abilities is what helps a person find happiness. Being a giving,
      instead of a taking person is how a person fills up their soul. Look
      around you at the people of the community – many who are retired -
      who give of themselves to the needs of their community, and you will
      find a happy person. That's what makes a person feel good. To help
      tutor a child to read, to cook a meal for someone in need, to help a
      neighbor – not partying the night away, and finding yourself with a
      headache in the morning.

      I was amazed at a celebrity marriage that took place recently
      in which millions and millions were just poured down the drain to
      have "the best" of "the best" when it comes to a wedding. I cringe
      to think of all the good that could have come from spending that
      money – from just the 2million dollar dress alone (I could get by
      with a100 grand wedding dress, couldn't you?). Fortunately there are
      some celebrities, like Bono who is very giving when it comes to
      humanitarian efforts, or Oprah, who funnels her money into wholesome
      causes, like the girls academy she recently opened in Africa. Or,
      Patricia Heaton, (Debra, from Everybody Loves Raymond) who with her
      husband has opened a movie studio committed to uplifting family
      friendly movies. Its nice to know there are some people who haven't
      been ruined by the glitter of Hollywood.

      But maybe the media isn't really all to blame. We turn on
      the radios, televisions, and internet in our own homes. Would you
      tune into a news station that told good wholesome news from around
      the world, or do you choose the latest gossip? Do you write letters
      to let the media know what you want to hear? If you don't have a
      choice, you still have the choice to simply turn it off. Every time
      we listen, and let our kids listen to Hollywood garbage, or attend
      movies that are not wholesome, we are teaching our values. One young
      mother was telling me that her son loved horror movies. Anything
      done with a chainsaw and a video camera in Texas or anywhere else, is
      not fit for human eyes, especially not the eyes of a child. We are
      what we eat, and we are what we choose to watch.
      * * *

      "When we carve out a niche for ourselves in our imagined future, and
      decide that we won't be happy until we achieve it, we can only feel
      threatened and anxious over anything that stands in our way." -- Nido
      Qubein

      Every kid needs parents, not friends – someone who can say no. ~~
      Sheryl Simons

      "Every single one of us can do things that no one else can do -- can
      love things that no one else can love. We are like violins. We can be
      used for doorstops, or we can make music. You know what to do."
      ~~Barbara Sher

      "The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is made of
      dearer stuff than the one who stays away. " ~Barbara Kingsolver

      SIMPLE CHICKEN MEALS

      2 chicken breasts – uncooked, fat removed
      Veggies of your choice such as mushrooms, sliced potatoes, carrots,
      green beans, onions, zucchini and summer squash slices. Seasoning of
      your choice

      Place 1 chicken breast on a square of foil. Add veggies. Double
      wrap, and bake @ 350` for one hour. Or cook on the grill `til done.

      columns: