What are you "Panning" for?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007

      LIVING WILL INFORMATION

      While a man was watching the Superbowl yesterday, he and his wife and
      got into a conversation about life and death, and the need for living
      wills – during half-time, of course! During the conversation he told
      her that he never wanted to
      exist in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and taking fluids
      from a bottle.
      She got up, unplugged the TV and grabbed the beer out of his hand!
      -sent by one of my favorite readers, my cousin Dawn, from Lansing MI

      * * *

      Remember hearing of the great Gold Rush? Men traveled across the
      country, or by sea, leaving homes and families for a chance to strike it
      rich. I wonder how many really did? A few did, of course, but I wonder
      how it changed their lives. Were their lives really changed for the
      better?

      They risked life and limb traveling over treacherous lands in search of
      treasures. Some made it. Some never did. If they did make it to
      California, they lived in tents and shacks. They had to buy supplies,
      and fire, violence and disease swept through settlements. In the
      beginning, it was almost easy to find the gold, which ran down the
      streams. Big strikes were found many miles away from each other,
      causing small rushes as news was carried from camp to camp, and men
      eager to find a new chance to strike it rich. Merchant ships bringing
      supplies to San Francisco were left abandoned by their crews, also in
      search of riches, and turned into floating restaurants, saloons, and
      boarding houses while San Francisco was being built. Some made their
      fortunes as businessmen and builders without ever setting foot on gold
      fields. Some ships were later even turned into landfill!

      One result was California becoming a part of America, and then becoming
      a state in 1850, sooner than it ever would have, due to the population
      explosion.

      We all pan for things, too. And we may be "panning" while the
      real gold is all around us. Our families, for one. How often do we
      realize the wealth that is our family? A friend's son was home from
      a training school for several weeks. When I saw him, I asked each time
      how his son was doing. "Oh, he's off with his friends." Was
      always the answer. I encouraged him to take his son for lunch. After
      his son left, I asked if he'd gotten to take his son to lunch.
      "No, he was just too busy." Too busy to go to lunch with his
      dad? He missed an opportunity to spend time with one of his biggest
      fans. I wish he knew how highly his dad speaks of him. How proud his
      dad is of him. One day, I hope he will.

      But we all pan for things that, in the long run, will never really
      matter. Achievement is one thing. But we all chase the wind, at times.
      That job that pays well is not the answer if you have to work 60+ hours
      a week. No big house, new car, or expensive vacation is worth
      sacrificing your family. It's the simple things that matter, being
      there when your child takes her first steps, taking the grandkids to the
      beach, watching the smiles on their faces when they discover a lady bug,
      or find a worm. We make these moments happen when we slow down and let
      them come to us.

      * * *

      "Before you can inspire with emotion, you must be swamped with it
      yourself. Before you can move their tears, your own must flow. To
      convince them, you must yourself believe." ~` Winston Churchill

      "Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most
      deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which
      says, `This is the real me,' and when you have found that
      attitude, follow it." ~~William James

      "Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession
      is what you were put on earth to do with such passion and such intensity
      that it becomes spiritual in calling." ~~ Vincent Van Gogh

      * * *

      If you are enjoying the seasonal "Pumpkin Spice Creamer" that
      came out with this past holiday, you might try simply using an extra
      teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of powdered creamer, and a small sprinkle
      of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger to make your coffee taste like a holiday
      for only pennies instead buying the creamer. Or, keep a small container
      already mixed. Flavor to taste and enjoy any time of year. Add a few
      drops of mint flavoring and cocoa or chocolate syrup for the peppermint
      spice flavor. If you haven't tried them, they really are yummy!

      * * *

      One 12-ounce can of soda contains 9 teaspoons of sugar. That is equal to
      about 1/4 cup of sugar and the average American drinks about two cans a
      day, equaling 1/2 cup of sugar and 300 calories of negative nutrition.
      Get out your measuring cups and put 1/2 cup of sugar in it. Would you
      give this to anyone you love? These are empty, and expensive calories.
      Get used to drinking water, milk (good for the kids), tea, or water with
      a lemon or orange slice. Who says everything we eat has to be sweet?
      Save soda for a rare treat.

      <mailto:thesimple_life@...>

      columns: