Simple January Fun

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2007

      Simple Living Quotes
      Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark
      upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. ~~John Boswell

      "Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The
      way you cope with it is what makes the difference."~~ Thomas Aquinas

      "It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence
      that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us,
      as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts."~~K.T. Jong

      Simple January Fun

      Here we are. January. You can't look out the window on a
      snowy morning without loving the way the snow looks clinging to
      everything creating a winter-wonderland. Especially this morning, when
      the pink early sky reflects across the sky. There was a mist that gave
      the view a spooky look, as well. Nice and warm with the wood stove at
      my back, but starkly white out the window. The green plants in my bay
      window seem not to suspect that only a pane of glass separates them from
      all that cold. Fortunately I don't work today, so traveling in the
      new coat of eight or so inches of white isn't a necessity.

      With several days at home ahead of me, I wonder what will occupy my
      time. A bit of housecleaning goes with the territory. There's
      always that. But not more than a few dishes, and making a few easy
      meals – maybe some chili, or soothing warm potato soup. So, what
      will I do for a couple days?

      I am reading a good book, but that will take care of only another
      hour or so. Hmmm, let's see. I have a bedroom to paint. I already
      spent time in the paint store deciding what colors. For a while I was
      "shabby chic" white, but now I am going for bolder color. I
      like the effect of one bold wall of color, but not too much or it can
      make a room too dark. What the heck, if I don't like it, I can
      always just color over with another coat of paint. That will be a good
      job to get done. And I've been going through our "stuff"
      (c'mon – everybody has stuff!) deciding what to keep, what to
      put in the yard sale pile, and what to junk. Time to clear out.

      There's a great chance for exercise with all that snow, and
      bringing in some wood. Hubby likes to take care of that department, but
      I try to sneak in a few armfuls just for the workout. I've got
      exercise tapes, and a stationary bike, and I think I will head out with
      the cross country skis and the dog. She loves running along, and
      sniffing out a rabbit every now and then.

      A few days ago, I had a hankering to do a puzzle. I pick up one at
      a yard sale now and then. We like to fit the pieces together on an
      evening by the fire.

      How about brushing up on a few Bible verses? A man I talked to
      recently really impressed me with his memory of the Bible. Keeping a
      few flashcards in your pocket each day is a great way to refresh your
      memory in just a few moments a day. You can even look up the verses on
      line and copy them to your computer file, and print them out in a card
      size you choose. Printing them on card stock makes them great for
      pocket size memory cards. I keep a recipe box of favorite verses, filed
      by categories. I started it way back in college, and keep adding to it.

      This is a great time of year to pull out a project you have been
      working on. My friend Betty gets a lot of quilting done this time of
      year. I do quick quilts, not wanting to take the time to hand quilt.
      In fact, I mostly do duvet covers, so that when I throw them in the
      wash, I just wash the outside , not the filling.

      Baking is another thing that is fun in winter. There are a lot
      of healthy things to bake, not just sweets. How about a whole-wheat
      biscuit for breakfast, with a teaspoon full of homemade jam?

      I might also take those berries from the freezer I didn't have
      time to make into jam last summer. A pot of low-sugar jam to pour into
      hot jars will replenish the jam shelf in the pantry. A perfect afternoon
      winter project! There are some gardening projects to get started. Seeds
      to plant, idea books and websites to visit.

      It may be January here in Michigan, but it's a great time to
      get some things done. Just think of all those feelings of
      accomplishment! I'd rather spend a winter day doing these things and
      save my warm summer days for collecting shells on the beach!

      * * *

      Simple, Healthy Mixed-Fruit Smoothies
      2 bananas, chilled
      2/3 cup strawberries or mango slices
      1 (12 ounce) can grape juice or mango, apricot, strawberry, or other
      nectar, chilled
      1 (8 ounce) carton yogurt
      1 Tablespoon honey (optional)

      In a blender combine bananas, strawberries or mango slices, grape juice
      or fruit nectar, yogurt, and, if desired, honey. Cover and blend until
      smooth. Pour into six tall, chilled glasses.

      Why do I write this column? I don't get paid or reimbursed in any way.
      I simply do it for fun and encouragement. Hopefully, encouragement for
      you, and there is encouragement for me, too. I love hearing from
      readers. I love to know where you are from, about you, what you are
      interested in, about your families. No, I'm the only one here, so I
      don't pass any of your info on. I just like to get personal with you.
      Maybe you are a mother with a problem, a grandmother with a prayer
      request (aren't we all?), a gardening question, or have a favoritie
      recipe your family loves, and you'd like to pass it on to "our" family.
      That would be just great. Or maybe I said something this past week that
      really touched your heart. I like to hear that, too.

      I know you enjoy reading this column or you wouldn't be here. If you
      have a suggestion, question, or idea - please write me! I'd like to
      help and I LOVE hearing from YOU!!!!