You Can be too Rich!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2007
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes
      happiness

      Simple Pot Roast

      I was at the grocery store the other day, and there was a sale
      on roast beef. Now who doesn't like a nice pot roast once in a
      while? However, it was already late afternoon, so no time to put a
      roast in the oven or crockpot, right? But then I remembered my
      pressure cooker. Barely more than a half hour and there could be a
      nice roast beef dinner on the table.
      We peeled some potatoes and carrots while the roast was searing
      on each side. Put 2 cups water in the pan, then dump in the
      vegetables, and, of course lots of onions and some onion soup mix.
      Put the lid on tight, and put on the pressure valve. Now, I wanted
      to make sure was doing it right, and exactly how long to cook it, so
      I looked around for my manual. No dice. So, turning my laptop on
      within about a minute and a half, I had the recipe. I did a quick
      Google search for `pot roast recipe pressure cooker'. That's why I
      love the Internet. Google is like having a worldwide encyclopedia at
      your fingertips. You can search points of interest in Tibet, learn
      how to play a game, or find directions to build just about anything.
      I'd probably go without morning coffee, but not my Internet. You can
      find more than you want to know in no time!
      The first recipe I found was exactly what I was looking for.
      Two cups of water was the right amount, and it suggested 40 minutes.
      I set the timer, and quicker than it takes to watch the evening news,
      we were eating the most delicious, fall- apart pot roast you can
      imagine! Now even if I hadn't had the Internet, I had guessed
      right. But I think 40 minutes was too long, so next time I will try
      35. Tomorrow's dinner will be stew from the leftovers.
      Now, I'm not suggesting that you run out and get a pressure
      cooker. That would be easy, but not so simple. Just hang on until
      you are at a yard sale next spring, or visit a second-hand store.
      That's where I got mine, for a couple bucks. Now when you think
      after work meal, most Americans think fast food and unhealthy, or all
      day in the crock-pot.
      Crockpot is a great alternative, too. When you get it all in
      the crock-pot the night before, (put it in the fridge!) all you have
      to do in the morning is plug it in. Pull out a salad bag and you've
      got a nice healthy meal. You can do a pot roast, stew, pea or any
      soup, even lasagna, etc.
      But don't forget about trying a pressure cooker. Chicken, beef,
      pork, anything that takes a long time, can cook up in no time, even
      stew in 15 minutes or less.
      I'm all for decluttering, and getting rid of all you don't need,
      but if you have the discipline to go to yard sales and not buy what
      you don't need, you can really find some great deals. Books for a
      quarter, sets of dishes for $5 (I haven't bought a new set of dishes
      in 30 years, but I love changing sets), dressers for $10, and one of
      my favorites, a corner hutch for $40, that is really cute. Why pay
      full price? But I go to a lot of yard sales where I leave with
      nothing, and that makes me happy, too. I know I didn't buy something
      that I don't need. The fun is in the hunt, but only if it's useful.
      (If you just have to dust it, it's not useful!)
      * * *
      Yes, You can be too Rich!

      We stopped to see some cars for sale at a home. When we'd been
      there, the house was lovely, the landscaping superb. This time, it
      was all in a shambles. Oh, it was still a nice home, but there was
      so much "stuff", that it seemed there was no room to put it all.
      Things lay here, there, everywhere. Where once there was a lovely
      estate, there was now a jumbled mess. There were several used
      vehicles that she mentioned needed a part. There were boats,
      snowmobiles, campers, and all sorts of toys, but nothing put away –
      and they were still buying more, telling us of what they were getting
      soon.
      It isn't that they don't have the money. They could have easily
      hired a couple students to rake the leaves off the lawn, trim the
      hedges, and weed the bushes around the buildings. But it hadn't been
      done. Instead of having things put in their place, as it had been
      last time we were there, everything was askew. Broken lawn mowers,
      snow blowers, and tools seemed to set where they'd broken. There
      seemed no reason, except that life had just gotten too busy. They
      told of all the "clubs" they were in, and all the activities
      they "had" to participate in. All I could think of was their things
      controlled them. They were not in control. The indoor swimming pool
      area was littered with toys, and "stuff", while the pool filter
      needed repair! Pools, while nice, require a lot of maintenance.
      Find out before your purchase how many hours a week it will take.
      Maybe you can't afford the time. Don't let things get away from you.
      Take care of them when they need taking care of, and when you spend
      money, remember the time it takes to repair, and take care of
      things. Things need to be winterized, and kept up. If you don't
      have the time, you will have to hire someone to do it for you –
      unless you decide not to take care of them, and then you might as
      well not buy them in the first place.
      * * *
      Foot Fungus Treatment: Rub your feet with hydrogen peroxide and let
      it dry on there. Reported to work well - better job than tree tea
      oil.

      Brown Recluse Bite
      Recently a lady was bitten by a brown recluse spider, and didn't
      realize it for about a week. At that time it had grown too large to
      use a Band-Aid on it. She started researching herbal remedies for bug
      bites. Mostly Lavender or Tree Tea Oil was recommended. She decided
      to use both. She put a generous amount on some gauze and put tape on
      to hold it in place and changed it usually once a day. The next week
      she could hardly even find the spot!! She never had to go
      to the hospital.

      Shelling Pecans
      Put the unshelled pecans in a big pan, like a Dutch oven. Cover them
      with water, add a dash of salt. Bring them to a boil. Let boil 10
      minutes, drain in a colander until cool. They will shell easily and
      whole.

      * * *

      "The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your
      problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the
      ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own
      destiny." ~~ Albert Ellis

      We may pass violets looking for roses. We may pass contentment
      looking for victory. ~~Bern Williams

      "Each today, well-lived, makes yesterday a dream of happiness and
      each tomorrow a vision of hope. Look, therefore, to this one day, for
      it and it alone is life."~unknown

      columns: