Peace in the New Year

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2006
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes
      happiness

      Peace in the New Year

      Two days ago, Saddam Hussein was put to death. In this day
      and age – our progress of voice command computers, cell phones with
      cameras, automatic faucets - it is still the dogs and children we
      cannot control, that and insane dictators. The thought that the
      United Nations would not become involved with a man bent on
      destroying his own countrymen, is unthinkable.

      When it became known that the former Iraquian dictator had
      reached his conclusion, Northern Michigan neighbors, who had fled
      Iraq with only the clothes on their backs, wept in relief. They felt
      that their homeland would never had progressed toward peace, even
      with the daily violence that we all deplore, had it not been for the
      invasion of peace-seeking troops. They are so thankful for
      the "Western Interference", which they see as the only possibility
      that democracy could ever take root. They are discouraged by the
      ongoing violence, but hopeful that with continued help of self-
      sacrifice that has been shown to them, that one day Iraq may one day
      see peaceful streets.

      I hope that the dreams for their birth-land comes true. Iraq is a
      Hatfields and McCoys gone bad. Where did the violence start? Who
      hit first? Memories of violence cannot be erased. When will the
      bleeding cease? Who will turn the first new leaf? How many
      generations will it take to soothe the wounds of the hearts?
      Forgiveness is the only answer for Iraq, just as it is for us. We
      can forgive, even when we will never forget.

      A newscast recently showed a neighborhood in Bagdad that managed to
      survive the violence. They were Sunnis and Shiites living in peace,
      working to protect each other from the violence that threatened
      their little corner. They are friends, and love each other as
      neighbors should. We should be so lucky.

      I hear of neighborhood skirmishes that shouldn't be taking place.
      One farmer jumping another farmers lease. Kids not treating parents
      with respect. People taking advantage because they "could".

      Life is not fair. But just think if we as humans decided to live in
      peace. If we quit being in a hurry (which seems to cause much
      strife), and let others go first, treat each other with brotherly
      love and kindness, our world would indeed be a different place. We
      talk of peace in Iraq, yet teach our children that taking advantage
      is just "good business". Peace must start at home, before we will
      ever have peace in our world. A well known business (Home Depot),
      has a motto, "Improve Everything We Touch". Talk about home
      improvement! World peace starts at home. Next time you feel like
      yelling at the kids, give them a hug, take a time out. Give
      yourself a break. Take a deep breath. Talk to each other without
      raising your voice. Life is stressful enough. Don't let it in your
      house. Try love – it really does work!

      In this new year, may we all pray for peace, but even more, lets all
      improve everything we touch by setting an example for our children
      by doing the right thing, even if it is "old fashioned"! Pray for
      peace people everyone! Every life deserves to be lived in peace.

      * * *

      Simple Apple Spice Cake

      2 c flour, 1 t cinnamon, 1 t nutmeg, 1 t allspice,1/2 t salt, 1 c
      butter, marg. or oil, 1 ½ c brown sugar, 4 eggs ,1 t baking soda, 1
      T warm water,1 t vanilla, 3 apples - peeled, cored and chopped,1/2 c
      raisins, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 10 inch tube
      pan. Cover raisins with warm water, let soak for 10 minutes and then
      drain. Whisk together flour, spices, and salt. Set aside.
      Cream together butter or margarine and sugar. Mix in eggs and
      vanilla. Stir together soda and 1 T warm water, and mix into the
      sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture, apples, and strained raisins
      until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
      Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. If
      baking in a 9 X 13Cool in pan, cut baking time to 35 to 45 minutes.
      Once cool, shake pan to loosen cake. Turn onto plate, and dust with
      confectioners' sugar.

      * * *
      The world is a looking glass, and gives back to every man the
      reflection of his own face. Frown at it and it will in turn look
      sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind
      companion. ~~William Makepeace Thackeray

      You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have,
      for instance.~~Franklin P. Jones

      Please contact Sheryl with recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life/
      I love to hear from my readers, so please let me know where you are
      from, and tell me whats on your mind!