" Really Simple" for Singles, part 2.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006

      "Really Simple" for Singles – part 2

      5. Find great friends. From high school, college, and on, you
      have a great
      chance to find truly great friends who will be around for your
      lifetime. Cherish that.
      However, friends can be toxic, too. There's a big difference in
      a friend who thinks that new top looks great, and a "friend" who
      leads you into trouble. If you are feeling manipulated and
      controlled by anyone in your life, step back and evaluate if this is
      a healthy relationship. Be a leader, not a follower. Never be afraid
      to get counseling at anytime in your life – it's not just for
      married people. Or have some in-depth conversations with close
      friends. Saves money on therapists, but can really be beneficial.
      Really think and listen. We talk about fashion, sports, the
      weather, why not set aside some time to talk about what really
      matters? Brave people ask good friends `what really bugs you about
      me?' and are willing to think about the answer. You decide if it's
      a simple pet-peeve, or something important. We can all benefit from
      feedback. The healthiest people I know are willing to ask for help,
      even if it means making a few inner changes. We are all better off
      to have an impartial person to talk to once in a while to talk
      things over with. Family members also may not be the best sources
      of information and advice.

      6. The idea that we are in a "progressive society" and that
      casual sex can be safe is a myth from Hell. Men and women are only
      fooling themselves when they fall into this trap. Multiple partners
      take away from the chance that you ever will find `true love'. You
      will be dragging around baggage for the rest of your life that you
      could have done without. I've seen this happen to men as well as
      women. They think being alone is so terrible, so they fall
      into "love" again as soon as one relationship ends. They also end
      up with diseases someone "forgot" to mention. (A friend told me
      through tears one day that she'd gotten a life-long STD from her new
      husband! How's that for "true love" – (Opps, I forgot to
      mention????)!

      Take 2 pieces of tape. Stick them together. Now pull them apart.
      Keep doing that. Does the tape lose its stickiness after a while?
      Of course. Same with casual sex. Pretty soon you wouldn't know
      true love if it ran over you. You will always be seeking "the
      perfect person" who doesn't exist. Take time off from
      relationships. Become your best friend. Enjoy hobbies. Find out
      who you want to be. Chances are you will find someone, but better
      to be single and happy than stuck in a relationship that drains
      instead of fills you with joy. Also, remember being in a
      relationship is just as much about being the right person, than
      meeting the right person. Don't be hasty! The longer you date
      someone, the better chance you get to know the "real them". It's
      also an important idea to get to know their family, and watch how
      they get along.

      7. While you are finding out who you are, find out what you believe
      about the world. Nail down your belief system. When you are firm
      in your beliefs, you won't be swayed by every idea that comes
      along. Someone told me recently that man just needs religion for a
      crutch. Is it so hard to believe that we as humans have a creator
      who loves us and has a plan for each of out lives – if we only ask
      Him. Just imagine – God wants to talk personally to each of us!
      Looking at the intricacies of nature I can only conclude that it is
      the case. Visit churches and congregations to find where you want
      to fit in, and don't just go where your family has always gone.
      It's our job, as humans to find God. He's already found us.

      Next week: Simple Life for Families…
      * * *
      "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is
      then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We
      should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner
      spirit." ~~Albert Schweitzer

      * * *

      Softener Stretcher

      My friend is a stay-at-home mother of two boys. She stretches the
      clothes softener to the maximum. Into a large plastic tub with a
      good tight seal, she places one capful of softener and fills the
      rest of the tub with approximately two cups of tap water. Then she
      dips a cheap sponge into the solution and throws it in the dryer
      with the wet clothes. By doing it this way, it takes her about 18
      months to use a standard bottle of softener.

      Simple and Easy Turkey Leftovers

      How many turkey sandwiches can you eat when there are pounds of
      leftover turkey? Here's an easy leftover recipe. Layer stuffing,
      potatoes, sweet potatoes, turkey, mashed potatoes, even green beans,
      or anything that is leftover. Top with gravy. You could even top
      with shredded cheese, if desired. Heat in the oven or microwave.
      (Cover in the oven, so it won't dry out.) We love this. All you
      have to do is add a salad or coleslaw!

      Please share recipes, questions, comments and simple living ideas
      that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... Join the online
      newsletter to print recipes and look up previous columns: