~Simple Thanksgiving~

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2006

      ~The location of paradise has far more to do with the person than
      the place.~

      Thanksgiving 2006

      How can spring have passed through summer and Thanksgiving be
      here already? How can my three beautiful children have grown to
      adults? The years of homework, nighttime baths, stories, and walks
      in the woods are over, and then they start all over again, only with
      a new generation.
      Can I possibly be the grandmother of four of the most
      beautiful people I know, Tony, JT, Tianna and Aubrianna? (would you
      guys quit growing so fast?) Tony will be taller than me soon. At
      least they are not too tall for a hug. And Aubrey - I can't get
      enough pictures when you are small and so cute. (I promise to put
      the camera down once in a while so you don't remember me as the one
      who flashes!) If I could find a pill to keep them little, but then
      again, they can't wait to grow up, just like I did. Before we know
      it, they will be looking forward to their Thanksgiving Day and
      seeing their grandchildren.
      We look forward to the pumpkin pie, and the turkey and
      dressing. But that's not all. It just being together that matters
      so much. And missing Andrew in Iraq, of course. All the young
      ones, protecting us, doing their duty, away from their families, are
      missed. We can't wait for their return so that they can join us
      maybe for next Thanksgiving.
      In years past, my family got together in a small apartment,
      wall-to-wall table for us all, but Grandma wanted us there, and it
      was to be our last Thanksgiving with Grandpa. Or, way back in
      Davison, with the grandkids heading to the bedrooms upstairs to play
      and talk, or outdoors to run and explore. (It was so traumatic when
      Grandpa and Grandma moved to Flint, but then that became like home.)
      We also got together often in Caro, at my Aunt Lola and Uncle
      Don's. The creamy mashed potatoes piled high in a huge yellow Pyrex
      bowl, and then after dinner our table games and walks down to the
      river, all of us, on a chilly Autumn day in the woods. If we got
      together at our home in Port Huron, we'd walk to the St. Clair
      River, 5 blocks to Pine Grove Park. Seeing Canada, just a long
      stone's throw away, the Blue Water Bridge, and the river widening
      into Lake Huron, where our favorite summer beach waited- empty- for
      warmer weather to bring us back.
      Maybe that's what Thanksgiving Day is all about. It's not
      the day, it's not where, it's the memories we are making, that last
      through the years like a Christmas window display. Our memories let
      us look back in, letting us watch like time travel.
      What will my grandchildren remember someday, fondly looking
      back? The big turkey on the table? (I still love that Norman
      Rockwell Turkey on the table – even though everyone has to cut their
      meat off the bones.) Our prayer of thanksgiving? Maybe the ping-
      pong tournament on the front porch, a frosty walk in the woods? How
      about a bon fire we had one year, or the pies? Will they remember
      the toys, some left over from their parents, or the book "Where's
      Andy?" that I loved to read to my kids, and now to the grandkids,
      that we know the end to, but still love to read over and over?
      I don't know what they will remember. But I do know that
      all the problems, when money was tight, or the car headlight was out
      because I hit a deer, or any other problems that really didn't
      matter won't be part of the memory. The only thing that matters is
      our time together. Our laughs and hugs and the good times that we
      will remember and pass on like recipes from Great Grandma's table
      long ago. Those memories will always linger, and we will miss the
      old days while we are making new one's each year. It's that simple.

      * * *
      "If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written
      upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old."~ ~James A.
      Garfield

      "The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your
      problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the
      ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own
      destiny." ~~ Albert Ellis

      * * *
      Simple Buckeyes

      Even though we are all cutting down on sugar, we have to have a
      few treats on the holidays. Here is one of our family favorites
      that is so simple. Let the kids help, and make sure they pop one or
      two in their mouths right away. The smaller the balls, the more you
      can eat! Make sure and tell them not to laugh – it's not supposed
      to be any fun. (That way they will start giggling right away!)

      1 ½ c peanut butter
      ½ c butter or marg
      1 t vanilla
      4 c powdered sugar
      1 bag choc chips
      2 T shortening

      Mix PB, marg, vanilla and sugar. Chill for several hours or
      overnight. Form into balls. Using a toothpick, dip in melted
      chocolate and shorteninig. Chill again.

      Please contact Sheryl with recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life/