No Fear!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2006

      - Emmanuel Kant wrote his finest philosophical works at age 74.
      - Verdi at 80 produced "Falstaff" and at 85, "Ave Maria."
      - Goethe was 80 when he completed "Faust."
      - Tennyson was 80 when he wrote "Crossing the Bar."
      - Michelangelo completed his greatest work at 87.

      - At 90, Justice Holmes was still writing brilliant American Supreme
      Court opinions.

      My grandmother, Dorothy Jacobs, was only in her 50's when
      she lost her husband. She had helped my grandfather through various
      business ventures, but now she was on her own. She went to Michigan
      State, and earned her teaching degree. She did her student teaching in
      Guatemala. Was she afraid of starting over? I'm sure she was. Can
      you imagine sitting in a classroom with teenagers, when you are in your
      late `50's? Talk about a fish out of water. But she did it.
      She taught school until she retired. She was loved and respected by her
      students. Many wrote loving notes at the end of the year and when she
      retired. Did she know fear. It's a certainty. But she conquered
      her fears. After retirement, she traveled the world, met a very nice
      and loving man, Vernon, and they began their adventure, and continued to
      travel the world. All because she put her fear behind her.

      Don't ever let age or fear conquer your dreams. All
      dreams start with one footstep in the right direction.

      * * *

      "No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your
      right to grow."~~Alice Walker

      Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more
      important than any other one thing." ~~ Abraham Lincoln

      "There is no chance, no destiny, no fate that can circumvent or hinder
      or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." ~~ Ella Wheeler
      Wilcox

      ~Simple Gardening~

      Here in Michigan, gardening is mostly done for the year. But
      getting the garden worked up for next year is a step in the right
      direction. If you found any plants on sale this fall, put them in the
      ground. They will probably survive winter better than if left in a pot.
      You can move them where you want them in the spring. This is a great
      time for bargains. Many place plants are now up to 75% off. This will
      give your plants a head start for next year, and think of all the money
      you will save.

      * * *

      If you bring garden plants or flower plants in for the winter,
      please write in and tell us how you do it! I brought in a moonflower
      plant that is really doing well, blooming like crazy in my south-facing
      bay window. Let us know what works for you! Write me at
      thesimple_life@... <mailto:thesimple_life@...> . If you
      have any greenhouse tips, send them as well. How do you keep your
      greenhouse warm in winter? What grows well in a greenhouse? What do
      you like about having a greenhouse? We will share the tips as they come
      in.

      ~Simple Lunch~

      Whether at home, or at work, an easy lowfat lunch is to have a
      salad with chicken and lowfat dressing, of course. Many fast-food
      restaurants have a small garden salad for $1. I keep chicken breasts in
      my freezer that I bought on sale, of course. I thaw several at a time.
      I like them best cooked on the grill, which only takes a few minutes. I
      like to take a bowl of salad and a chicken breast and a small container
      of salad dressing to work. Nice easy, and filling lunch. Quick and
      easy to fix. When you cut out extra carbs, you really don't get
      hungry! If you must have a cookie, make it a healthy – homemade
      oatmeal cookie with whole wheat.

      Please share recipes, questions, comments and simple living ideas that
      work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      <mailto:thesimple_life@...> Join the online newsletter to print
      recipes and look up previous columns: