Simply Fun Marriage

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2006

      "There is just not enough fun in marriage!" a woman
      commented to me recently. I couldn't agree more. It seems every
      week that I hear of someone I know who is divorcing. Once upon a
      time they loved each other. Many of them had children together.
      They had dreams together, plans. But what happened?

      Life, that's what. Responsibility, bank accounts, sickness,
      mortgages, grocery bills and kids who start out so cute, but can
      also pull parents in all directions. Most can be good things, but
      somehow they can also crowd out the just plain fun. When was the
      last time you really had fun with your sweetie? Do you even think
      of them as your sweetie, or were you just thinking to remind them to
      take out the trash? Griping and complaining are not fun. So why do
      we married folk spend so much time doing that instead of the fun?
      Life is way too short.

      A girl at work who is engaged got roses at work for Sweetest
      Day. None of the married woman. Oh, I know, just another date
      someone made up to remember. So what! Make up your own day!
      Surprise your lovey. Don't wait for a holiday. And you don't have
      to spend a lot of money, but sometimes spending a little money
      doesn't hurt. Once in a while you have to think big. Or little.
      Either way. One woman asked her hubby what he did with his teapot
      he used to throw his change in. He told her he switched jars. When
      she asked why he told her with a twinkle in his eye, that he was
      saving for something special. I sure hope so! Just the thought of
      a surprise is exciting! A good time together is nearly always much
      less expensive than an attorney!

      One day this summer, my sweetie and I headed out for a
      drive. We just wandered where the road took us. We took turns
      driving, exploring. We stopped and ate, went to yard sales where we
      both found some bargains, visited a light house, antique shops, and
      talked to some interesting people. We just ambled. And it was
      quite late when we arrived home. We saw places we'd never been
      before. It was my favorite day of summer (well, almost!) We do
      this every couple weeks. It's not expensive, but it is a day of
      simple adventure. Last week we were given some huge old antique
      windows. Now we are building a greenhouse. We enjoy working on
      projects together and it inspires teamwork. Whether it's a project
      or a fun day, it is fun!

      Whatever is fun for you – do it! Find something you love to
      do together. There is something you must enjoy doing together. If
      not, remember back to the romance days. Sports events? The beach?
      Table games. Do something new and don't be afraid to try. Maybe
      you can take turns picking something new. You will be glad you did,
      and it may help you move just a bit closer to my parents (Neil and
      Carolyn Sergent) who are almost to the 50 year mark in `07! Still
      having fun camping and traveling after all these years.

      * * *
      "We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts
      are conscious of our treasures." ~~Thornton Wilder

      "Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things
      happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will."
      ~~Norman Vincent Peale

      ~Simple Whole Wheat~
      We've changed from enriched white flour (ha! enriched – that
      means they took the good stuff out, and tried to put something
      back!) to whole wheat for mostly everything. Ever made a whole
      wheat buttermilk pancake? You better try one! They are delicious.
      And there is whole wheat bread dough mixing in the bread maker right
      now. It's so much better for you. Just try replacing the same
      amount whole wheat flour for white. Also, I found 50# of whole
      wheat at Gordon's Food Service (a restaurant supply) for less than
      $14. I put the extra in the freezer or a tin. You might have to
      request it. In most grocery stores whole wheat is more expensive
      than regular flour, even though it requires less processing. My
      husband Ricky told me that when he was a kid and his mother made
      home-made bread, that whole wheat was what people used because it
      was cheaper! Even whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are yummy! If
      you family is not ready for a big change, try using half for a
      while. It's so much better for you!

      ~Super Simple Baked Potatoes!~

      Did you know you can bake potatoes in a crock-pot? Wash potatoes,
      wrap in foil and put in the crock-pot. If you have time and want
      the skins extra moist, coat in butter, oil, or margarine before
      wrapping.

      Cooking times may vary depending on how many you are cooking.
      Cooking 6-8 potatoes, low for eight hours works great. If there are
      up to 12 potatoes in a crockpot, you may need to put them on high
      for the first two hours, or the last two hours, depending on what
      works for you.

      Cooking potatoes in the crock-pot won't dry out them out or burn. An
      extra hour, is no problem. Even most people who don't usually prefer
      baked potatoes, admit they are moist and good this way. Try using
      leftover potatoes to make and freeze or make into twice-baked
      potatoes.

      Please share recipes, questions, comments and simple living ideas
      that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... Join the online
      newsletter to print recipes and look up previous columns: