A Walk in the Garden

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2006

      I took a walk in the yard tonight, after the rain of
      yesterday had dried off sufficiently. One of my cosmos plants that
      came up from seed, hasn't even had a chance to bloom yet, and here
      it could frost any day. I hope not.
      The Hollyhock blooms have traveled up the stalks, now in
      their very tip top flowers. The fall asters are at the height of
      their blossom. Pink, purple, and lavender and white, they
      brilliantly compete to outshine the red maples. The clematis, that
      has put on a spectacular show all summer, which was planted on a
      hunch, still pours forth its blooms, daring Mr. Frost to come
      nipping. The garden looks sad, spent. A few pumpkins and tomatoes
      are still on the vine, slowly turning color, the remainder of a
      plentiful summer. A few summer squash have grown too large sit
      forlornly; withering.

      Foxglove (still blooming) and shade-loving Impatients have
      found a corner that they are really flourishing in. It's hard to
      say which I love the most. I love it when a combination really
      comes together, and the plant shows you how happy it is to be there,
      by growing huge and vibrant.
      My little friends, who have given me company, in such a
      friendly way, never cross but only with smiles, nod gently as I
      pass. I will miss you, I think. Soon. Jack Frost will come along
      and turn to brown all but the hardiest of plants. Snow will soon
      cover them; protecting them like a cool blanket. But though the
      tops die back, there is quiet power underneath. The same power we
      possess during hard times. The strength that brings us through the
      hard times.
      And then comes spring bursting through the cold mud. And
      the cycle begins again, bringing back our friends for another
      season. Just as the sun once again comes back into our lives after
      a rainy season.

      * * *

      I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not
      only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. ~~
      C. S. Lewis

      Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but
      they have never failed to imitate them. ~~James Baldwin

      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them
      master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. When we
      do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our
      life, or in the life of another. ~~Helen Keller

      Simple Pizza Soup!

      Add in a crock pot in the morning,

      ½ lb cooked hot and spicy sausage
      4 tomatoes
      carrots green pepper and onion chopped
      ½ or whole can (28 oz) spaghetti sauce
      ½ t oregano
      ½ head cabbage, chopped finely
      Add any of your favorite pizza topping combinations. I am going to
      try ham and pineapple next!
      Add one can mushrooms last 15 minutes.
      Simmer all day. Drop shredded cheese on top to melt into serving
      bowl. YUMM! Enjoy with some warm home-made whole wheat bread.

      * * *
      Free Information
      Did you know you don't have to spend a buck to call information to
      find a friend's phone number? Just dial this FREE alternative. 1-
      800-FREE-411. You may hear an advertisement, but the call is free!

      SECRET TO REALLY DIRTY CLOTHES (from Dollar Stretcher Tips

      My husband works heavy construction and often comes home with dirt
      and oil all over his clothes. After trying a number of laundry aids,
      I found one that works great and his clothes come out clean! The
      secret is Dawn dish detergent that I buy at a discount price at
      Sam's Club. I add about a tablespoon along with regular bargain
      detergent. It works like a charm!
      * * *

      Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person,
      of the ways in which he or she is unique. ~~Annie Gottlieb

      * * *
      Lemons Help Prevent Kidney Stones

      If you've had or know anyone whose had kidney stones, well,
      it is awful! Lemons are loaded with citrate - an acid that prevents
      kidney stones by binding to crystals in urine and hindering them
      from growing. Try squeezing half a lemon into each glass of water
      you drink through the day.

      Keeping it Simple,

      Please contact Sheryl with recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life/