Fall Trip, Helpfull Hints!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2006

      "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a
      bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
      ~George Eliot

      I try to think happy this time of year. I love the bright
      red of the maple trees that have lost their chlorophyll for another
      year. And each day the colors get brighter. Fall starts officially
      this week. There is a special deer hunt for teens this weekend.
      Fall color tours are starting. But the weather report is also for
      cooler weather, at least for a few days. I wonder, will the cool
      weather stay? Have we had our last day in the 80's? Even our last
      day of temperatures in the `70's are numbered. We must enjoy this
      weather while we can.
      There is still plenty of time for hiking, biking, and all
      kinds of sports. Why not catch a football or soccor game on the
      weekend? To have even more fun, get the kids and grandkids together
      for a game of touch football in the back yard. Why not!
      And don't forget to take a drive and see the scenery around
      our area. There are little signs with maple leaves with numbers in
      our area. It's easy to follow the numbers and see the different
      areas. Fortunately the gas prices are coming down for the moment.
      Pack a picnic, (don't forget the pickles) or try out a new place
      you've never eaten before and make it an afternoon. While you are
      out an about, there are plenty of museums – almost every small town
      has one – or antique shops, or other attractions. Take time to stop
      and visit one or two. You might find a favorite. If the day turns
      out great, you might plan a last day at the beach. If it rains, try
      the mall or a movie! Or, you might combine a trip with finding out
      something about your ancestors. Stop at a library or cemetery to
      find where their grave or home was or is. Take some photos and
      document it for future generations.
      Or, maybe just a girls day out. Or a mom and son, or Dad
      and daughter day. Take your pick! The sky's the limit! Just don't
      let this beautiful fall weather pass you by!
      * * *

      "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
      carry it with us or we find it not." ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Handy Hints!

      Reheat Pizza: Heat up leftover pizza in a non-stick skillet on top
      of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the
      crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking
      channel and it really works.

      Expanding Frosting: When you buy a container of cake frosting from
      the store, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double
      it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same
      amount. You also eat less sugar/calories per serving.

      Newspaper weeds away: Start putting in your plants; work the
      nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers put layers around the plants
      overlapping as you go cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds
      will get through some gardening plastic they will not get through
      wet newspapers.

      Flexible vacuum: To get something out of a heat register or under
      the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to
      your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

      Reducing Static Cling: Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your
      slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works
      with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of
      slacks and - voila - static is gone.

      Foggy Windshield? Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser
      and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub
      with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!
      Conditioner: Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's a
      lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth.
      It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but
      didn't like when you tried it in your hair...

      Goodbye Fruit Flies; To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small
      glass fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of
      dishwashing liquid, mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the
      cup and gone forever!

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl

      Please contact Sheryl with recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns: