Turning 9-11 Around

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2006

      We all remember where we were on 9-11. A friend at work was
      riding his motorcycle. He got a call on his cell phone and went
      right home. When he saw the second plane hit, he knew it wasn't an
      accident. It was too shocking to comprehend. But then a newscaster
      reminds us that more than 40,000 die each year in car accidents.
      9-11 has left us all unchanged. We couldn't do anything to stop the
      terrorism that came our way on that fateful day. But we can do a
      lot if we listen to what that day tells us.

      Hatred, the fuel for 9-11 is within all of us. Not on that
      level, but it is there. Life is too short to harbor that in our
      hearts. If we could just use the memory of that awful day to kindle
      a love in our hearts for those we dislike, or to change a bad habit,
      then that day will not be wasted. What if just one person makes a
      decision to not drink and drive. What if just one person decides to
      hug their child instead of yell at them. Maybe one person will do
      the right thing. What if we hug a person we can't stand, and
      surprise them, letting go of the hurt. Quit smoking, plant a
      garden, give something away, love instead of hate, pay it forward!
      What if we used our spare time to help someone in need – just an
      hour or two. And then let's say "I'm doing this for 9-11." That is
      how we overcome terrorism.

      But nothing will happen, and this is the key - until we look
      inside and acknowledge the need for change. No one can do this for
      us. Oh, they try. They tell us what is wrong with us, but not
      often what is right, don't they? But until we see what we need to
      see, there will be no change.

      Just one little change, multiplied by hundreds, or thousands of
      people who say, "I want to make a difference, go the extra mile."
      But we say, "It's not up to me, I'm just one person." Not true.
      One person can make a huge difference. One person who decides not
      to drink and drive may change the lives of three people he otherwise
      might have killed. But it doesn't end there. What about the
      children those three people might have had. One mistake can alter
      generations to come. We do make a difference, a great difference.
      We have the power to become the most enthusiastic and positive
      person we know! And that's how we turn evil to good.

      * * *
      Cauliflower (just like) Stuffed Baked Potatoes

      1 package frozen cauliflower* (16 ounce)
      8 oz cream cheese, softened
      8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
      4 green onions, chopped
      1/4 t salt or to taste
      1/4 t pepper
      3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
      Paprika - optional

      Cook the cauliflower until soft, about 8-10 minutes; drain very well
      and break up florets a bit with a spoon (keep cauliflower a little

      Put in a greased 8" x 8" baking pan or 2-quart casserole. Mix in the
      cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Dust top
      with paprika, if desired.

      * * *

      Jack frost will be sneaking up on us soon. Smoke already
      curls from our chimney on cool evenings. We will clear the garden,
      and get it ready for next spring. We are still "putting by".
      Before it's too late have that last cook out on a warm weekend
      afternoon. Invite all your friends for a pot luck. Enjoy the
      leaves as they turn. Slow down and enjoy the colors. Watch the
      tractors as they gobble up the corn. Plant some mums. Spice up
      some cider and carve a pumpkin. Don't let this beautiful season
      pass you buy.

      * * *
      "You can learn many things from children. How much patience you
      have, for instance."~ ~Franklin P. Jones

      "The world is a looking glass, and gives back to every man the
      reflection of his own face. Frown at it and it will in turn look
      sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind
      companion." ~~William Makepeace Thackeray

      Keeping it simple,

      Please contact Sheryl with recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life/