“Do the Next Thing”

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006

      A music teacher mom and single parent of two children found
      herself suddenly sick in the hospital with a severe case of
      pneumonia. So severe, in fact, that the pneumonia affected her blood
      clotting ability, which led to the amputation of parts of her arms
      and legs. At first she felt helpless. How could she ever take care
      of her family? Within four months, and lots of determination later,
      putting one task ahead of the next, she came home from the hospital –
      and walked to her house! That was just the beginning.
      The doctor had told her that she could eventually go back to
      work. That was all she needed. She learned to walk again. She re-
      learned how to do many things, including drive, dress, and write.
      She earned another college degree. She did go back to work. She
      did one thing at a time.
      Sometimes we need to "do the next thing". We probably don't
      face any of the hardships this woman faced. But we all have
      something we need to do next. Maybe we need to quit smoking, get a
      better job, or something as easy as pull a few weeds in the garden.
      It often seems overwhelming. But we'll never do it until we start.
      Maybe we need to hear ourselves say, "I can do it". I know you can
      do it! (Write in and tell me what you did!) Whatever it is that you
      need to accomplish – take a step in the right direction and keep
      doing "the next thing". You can do it!
      * * *

      "Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things
      happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will."
      ~~Norman Vincent Peale
      "The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count
      our blessings." ~~Eric Hoffer

      Summer Heat
      Some garden plants can take the heat better then other
      plants. These are great for hot climates or areas of your property
      that are dry and hot all day. This is a partial list to give you an
      idea of what to choose:
      Celosia or cockscomb (Celosia argentea plumosa), Spider flower
      (Cleome hasslerana), Coreopsis (Coreopsis vericillata), Globe
      amaranth (Gomphrena globosa), Morning Glory (Ipomoea tricolor), Moss
      rose (Portulaca grandiflora), Zinnias, Artemesia, Black-eyed Susan
      (Rudbeckia hirta), Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), Blanket
      flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora), Lamb's ears (Stachys byszantina),
      Liatris (Liatris spicata), Shasta daisy (Chrysanthemum x superbum),
      Yarrow (Achillea millefolium). Any hairy stem, square-stem, or
      thick-stem is usually drought tolerant. Many herbs are drought-
      tolerant. For even more drought-tolerance, use good landscape
      fabric and a layer of mulch. Mulch alone can lead to crown rot.
      Using plants like these and mulch, you won't even have to worry
      about watering again!
      * * *

      Taco Casserole

      1lb ground beef
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1 envelope taco seasoning mix
      16 oz tomato sauce
      16 oz whole kernel corn
      2 cups shredded Cheddar
      2 cups Original Bisquick®
      1 cup milk
      2 eggs
      Sour cream, chopped tomato and shredded lettuce, if desired

      Heat oven to 325ºF. Grease rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Cook
      ground beef
      and onion in 10-inch skillet, stirring frequently, until beef is
      brown; drain. Stir in dry seasoning mix, tomato sauce and corn.
      Spoon into pan; sprinkle with cheese. Mix Bisquick, milk and eggs
      until smooth. Pour over beef mixture. Bake about 35 minutes or until
      knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before
      cutting. Serve with remaining ingredients and salsa on the side!

      Keeping Summer Simple,