Keeping Summer Simple

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2006

      Simple Summer

      School's out for summer, and half of our summer is gone. But
      there is still plenty of time to enjoy what we have left, but we
      have to make it a priority. So let's take summer seriously while we
      still can. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it! Lean back
      close your eyes and just think what you would really like to do,
      that you don't often take time for. What would be your favorite
      thing to do?

      Take a day and a good book and just spend it in a hammock.
      Take an inner tube or raft to the lake or river. Just float!
      Canoe trip. Pack a lunch, and don't forget the sunscreen.
      Ride the waves. With all the Great Lakes wrapped around our
      great state (MI), there can be some pretty great waves. It's not
      that far to lake Huron, or lake MI, from here. The waves are better
      on Lake MI when the wind is from the west. This is not a sport for
      small children. But we recently hit a great wave day with waves
      that you could have surfed on. Big Time fun!
      Golf. I'm not a big time golfer, but I have fun doing it.
      I'll be going on a golf outing soon that will be great fun. Even if
      you don't go often, just go for fun with a gang that goes to have
      fun.
      Invite all your friends. Tell them to bring a soft ball
      mit, or even use a whiffle ball set. Just have some good laughs.
      If you are like me and love to garden, that can mean a lot of
      time and work, even on your days off. Then there's always
      housework. The list goes on and on. But don't sweat it. Take some
      time to get together with the girls or guys for a day of whatever
      your favorite activity is, even if its lunch and a movie. That's
      what summer is about – relax.
      Have a picnic. Don't forget the Frisbee and the volleyball or
      badminton net. Do it up right, and don't forget the sweet pickles
      and the off. With all the great little parks around here you could
      plop down just about anywhere and have a fantastic time. Or just
      head for a quiet place in the back yard in the shade.
      One of my friends, and older woman, told me she loves to
      skydive. In fact she's in a club. I couldn't believe this little
      tiny thing would ever be a skydiver. How cool. I'd have never
      guessed. What would you like to try that is completely out of your
      box. Why not give it a shot?
      One of my favorite things to do, is go fishing. Just me and
      the boat, and a few worms and a fishing pole. Or maybe with waders
      on the river. Nothing more relaxing. And you get to keep what you
      catch for supper!
      If your usual idea of fun is just to sit and kick back a
      few, try something you wouldn't ordinarily do. Take off the shoes
      and wade. Don't worry about getting your hair wet or breaking a
      nail, just get out there and have some fun. Summer is too short to
      waste a minute of!

      * * *
      "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and
      in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys." ~~ Antoine du
      Saint-Exupery

      "A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span
      of life, by him who interests his heart in everything." ~~ Laurence
      Sterne

      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." ~~
      Albert Einstein

      "Never forget that life can only be noble inspired and rightly lived
      if you take it bravely and gallantly, as a splendid adventure in
      which you are setting out into an unknown country, to face many a
      danger, to meet many a joy, to find many a comrade, to win and lose
      many a battle." ~~ Annie Besant

      * * *
      Simple Fresh Again

      With as much humidity as there has been lately, its easy to end
      up with something getting a bit stale. After baking and turning off
      the oven, if there are Saltines, Ritz or Graham Crackers or cereal
      that have lost their crispness,
      spread them on a cookie sheet, place them in the oven and close the
      door. After the oven cools, all are restored to original freshness.

      * * *
      Roasted Veggies

      Next time you are out in the garden, pick a few veggies for the
      grill. We roasted whole onions last week, and in the time it takes
      to grill a burger, we had some great grilled onions. Small
      zucchini, summer squash, peppers, potatoes, they're all good. So
      don't stick with just the burgers, go veggie on the grill!

      Keeping summer simple,