Courage and Summer Strawberries

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2006
      "The simple life is thinking like a kid, but working like an adult.
      Enjoy yourself!"

      * * *
      Courage
      With our soldiers at war, Memorial Day is just past, and the Fourth
      of July just around the corner, why not have a conversation about
      courage with your family? The kids might be surprised to discuss
      an "adult" topic, and be happy to have you take their opinions
      seriously. You will definitely be surprised to hear their ideas and
      answers.

      What is courage? Who can be courageous? Do we know anyone who has
      been courageous? Saved someone's life, or risked their life to help
      or save someone else's life, or fought for an idea? Is it courage
      when the soldier does their duty to their country despite doubts and
      fears? Can you be courageous and afraid at the same time? Everyone
      can think of a person they think of as courageous and why. What are
      things we can all do to be courageous every day? Does it take
      courage to do the right things every day?

      These quotes might give you some ideas:

      "Courage is simply the willingness to be afraid and act anyway."~
      ~Robert Anthony

      "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half
      to death." ~ ~General Omar Bradley

      "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with
      potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with
      consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
      ~ ~Maya Angelou

      Holidays are a day to set aside our political differences.
      It's a day to remember the men and women throughout history that
      have had the courage to face circumstances most of us can't even
      imagine. We don't celebrate these holidays to have a picnic, or
      watch the fireworks – we celebrate our freedom on these days and we
      remember the sacrifices others have made to bring us that freedom.
      That's why we have the picnics and the fun - to remember why we can
      have them.

      * * *

      Simple Cool Cottage Cheese Salad

      1 *20 oz. can crushed pineapple, UNDRAINED
      1 *large (or two small) boxes raspberry gelatin, DRY (regular or
      sugar free)
      1 32 oz. container cottage cheese (regular or low fat)
      1 12 oz. container whipped topping, THAWED (regular or lite)

      Mix UNDRAINED pineapple, DRY gelatin and cottage cheese together.
      Fold in
      whipped topping. *Any flavor combination can be used. It is
      delicious with mandarin oranges and orange Jell-O. Firmer fruits add
      more texture to the salad but it is delicious either way.
      * * *

      Strawberry Season!!!

      When I was a kid, my mom was a teacher and had summers off.
      One thing I can remember doing nearly every year was to go to a
      strawberry farm and pick berries. We'd go early to avoid the hot
      sun. It was kind of fun to walk among the rows and look for all the
      red-ripe berries. We'd eat a few, but it was more fun to fill the
      berry buckets. It' didn't take too long to fill a case. Then we'd
      go home and start to clean an slice the berries to make jam and put
      the rest in the freezer for strawberry shortcake or other strawberry
      desserts during winter. I still love to pick berries, but like to
      grow my own even better.
      Jam can be made by cooking, or making no-cook freezer jam.
      Everyone sort of has their own favorite. You might want it in jars
      without using freezer space. Reduced-sugar or sugar free are other
      options.
      Strawberries need lots of water, and can be grown in a
      garden, or containers. If yours are in containers, remember that
      strawberries need about double the water of garden plants. They
      also need fertilizer. Many stores were selling strawberry hanging
      baskets this year.
      Garden grown strawberries need mulch and lots of generous
      watering, as well. Experiment with different kinds of plants to
      learn your favorite. And, most important, let the kids help. They
      will love it!

      Keeping it simple,