Fair Week!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2006
      "The simple life is thinking like a kid, but working like an adult.
      Enjoy yourself!"
      Going to the Fair
      Here in Marion MI it's "Fair Week". A fair is a festival
      that is all about fun. There are carnival rides, kids games, the 4-
      H animals and plants and all the judging contests, lots of food like
      elephant ears, a sweet fried bread sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar
      or fruit toppings. There is a country music concert, harness (horse
      racing), magic shows, demolition derby (that's where guys drive old
      junker cars and try to crash into each other), and huge four wheel
      drives that impress us with their amazing feats, or stupidity - not
      sure which, a celebrity cow milking contest, and that is just for a
      start. Just about anything you can imagine is going on at a fair.
      When I was a girl, my parents took me and my 2 brothers down
      to the fair in Flushing, where we lived at the time. It was already
      after dark, which I'm sure was past my bedtime. There was a huge
      beacon light that shone up into the sky, circling around that was
      really impressive. I got dizzy just watching it. I thought we were
      going to see the light! But then there was more. There were pony
      rides (always my favorite), and even an elephant! And all the
      people and music. What magic. Too amazing for words.
      Since then I've attended many a fair. Each one is still
      just as fun. Each year is new and different, and I can't say which
      I love the most. Maybe it's the kids in the sheep judging, or
      watching them wash their big steers and horses, or the draft horse
      pull, or see who won the blue ribbon for the most beautiful quilt or
      garden plant. It might be sitting in the Ferris wheel with my
      husband looking down over the carnival and all the town. I can't
      decide. Guess I'll have to keep going back to judge for myself!
      * * *
      Simple Fresh Salsa:

      2 cups plum tomatoes, diced
      1 small red onion, diced
      One third cup fresh cilantro, minced
      1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
      Juice of one lime (or 1 T lemon juice)
      2 garlic cloves, minced
      Salt and pepper to taste
      For a fruity taste, mix in a few tablespoons chopped blueberries,
      peaches, cherries, or your favorite fruit flavor. Combine all
      ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
      A Garden From Trash
      Printed with permission from Jan Emo
      Before you toss out that leftover cucumber, tomatoes, corn, peanuts
      etc. Save the seeds. When you're snapping beans and you throw away
      the tips, save the seeds. Let them dry out and place in a baggie or
      similar container. When spring time comes, plant them. Ditto with
      potato eyes. I can't stand throwing away melon, watermelon seeds or
      anything. I'm so bad my brother calls me Jannie Appleseed. I can't
      help it though, cause I know you reap what you sow.
      Same goes with oranges, lemons, Mango's, grapefruits, tangerines,
      etc. With the citrus seeds though you have to soak them in water
      overnight before you plant them. Plant them half an inch deep in
      damp soil and cover the top with plastic wrap and place in a warm
      spot. In a few weeks when they start to sprout remove the plastic
      and let them grow.
      Now with Mangos it's a little different. In the middle of a mango
      you'll see a big hairy pit. You have to scrape at it and open it
      gently. Inside is the real pit (seed). Place the pit in a plastic
      sealable bag filled with sphagnum or peat moss and water it. Seal
      the bag and check daily to make sure it stays moist. When the roots
      are a few inches long transplant it to a pot.
      This summer when you are eating that delicious tomatoes remember to
      save the seeds!
      Happy Gardening!
      This article was written by Jan Emo. Jan is a sahm, freelance
      writer and editor of "Lighten Up" ezine. You can subscribe to her
      weekly newsletter by visiting http://LightenUp.notlong.com
      * * *
      The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life
      is to give it away. David Viscott
      * * *
      Simple Tick Removal
      A pediatrician said she believes is the best way to remove a tick.
      There are an abundance of ticks reported in our area this year. It
      works in those places where it's difficult to go with tweezers:
      between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply
      a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the
      soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the
      tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when
      you lift it away. --Hope you don't have to try it!