Welcome to June!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2006

      "When you are content to be simply yourself, and don't compare or
      compete, everyone will respect you." Lao-Tzu

      Thoughts on the Immigration Problem:

      "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who
      comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself
      to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else,
      for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of
      creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the
      person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an
      American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says
      he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at
      all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have
      room for but one language here, and that is the English language...
      and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to
      the American people." ~~Theodore Roosevelt 1907
      Most of us are immigrants or came from immigrants. We are
      not against immigration. Not even close. However, for reasons of
      national security – something our ancestors fought for – we choose
      to have laws regarding those entering our country. Do we want
      criminals, or possible terrorists to enter our country? It has been
      reported that as high as 33 percent of our prison population are
      illegal aliens, and 36-42 percent of illegal aliens are on welfare!
      We spend billions of our tax dollars annually to subsidize people
      sneaking into our country. Also, if 12 million Americans are trying
      to find work, are aliens only doing work that Americans won't do?
      Not a chance.
      Could we enter other countries without the proper paperwork
      and then receive government aide? Why should our country be any
      different?
      We are not against other people coming to our country, we
      just want to make it legal and proper. A woman sent an e-mail to the
      government of our country. "Let's build a moat along out borders,
      and use the fill to re-build the levees along our coasts. Stock the
      moats with Florida alligators. Any other problems you need me to
      solve?" Don't we wish it was just that simple?

      * * *

      A few weeks ago, I reported about planting the potato peelings from
      the last of a bag of potatoes. I used a knife to peel the potatoes
      more thickly than a peeler would, but the potatoes already were
      sprouting. While the potatoes and eggs boiled on the stove for a
      nice big potato salad, I dug a trench and planted the peelings in a
      few moments time. Nothing to lose, right? Every last plant has
      sprouted. Not one didn't come up. There won't be and wasted potato
      peelings around here in the spring again!

      * * *

      "Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble
      art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the
      elimination of non-essentials." ~~Lin Yutang

      "Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve.
      He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." ~~ Leonardo da
      Vinci

      "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems
      longer." ~~Albert Einstein

      Simple Cornbread
      This is my friends's sweet cornbread recipe that must be at least 50
      years old. This bread bakes up so light and fluffy, it's more like
      cake. It just falls apart.

      1 c yellow cornmeal
      1 c sifted flour
      1/4 c sugar
      1/2 t salt
      4 t baking powder
      1 egg
      1 c milk
      1/4 c vegetable oil
      1/4 t parsley or other desired seasoning (optional)

      Mix dry ingredients. Add egg, milk and oil last. Bake in an 8-
      inch ungreased square pan at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a
      toothpick comes out clean. Leftovers make a great stuffing for
      chicken or turkey.

      I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find
      out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to
      find out there is. – unknown

      ps, I love to hear from all of you! have heard from Austrailia,
      UK, And many others, recently. If you have a question, comment, or
      just want to say HI, please do! thesimple_life@...