Slow Down!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006

      "Miss!" an older woman called to me at work, "Can I go inside to
      check out?"
      "Yes, but you can check out right here, too." And I pointed to the
      cash register.
      "But I have been waiting a long time!" she pouted.
      "It's up to you," I said.
      It was a beautiful day. The birds were singing, the flowers
      were simply glowing after a few days of rain, and the breeze was
      warm. As I walked away, knowing she'd only been there a couple
      moments, I smirked to myself. Maybe there was a real good reason
      this woman was in a hurry. But she was retired. Now I know retired
      people have important things to do, but it struck me that there were
      worse things you could be waiting for. She was in a beautiful
      place. She wasn't on a gurney waiting for an operation. There was
      no train barreling toward her on the tracks. There was no fire, no
      accident, no obvious reason for hurrying. Why not just enjoy the
      few minutes to notice the birds, a beautiful child, or the bright
      summer colors just waiting to be taken home from the nursery?
      The next day, a truck barreled around me only to have me
      catch up to him at the next light. His big hurry didn't get him
      anywhere faster.
      I'm guilty of the same thing, at times. Much of the time,
      aren't we in a hurry to get nowhere? Why do we rush around when we
      really don't have to? Why not drive home slower? Notice the newborn
      calves with their mothers in the fields, wait patiently at the
      light, or really notice a sunrise? We hurry because it's a habit.
      Now why is that? Are we hurrying to not be late? Get up a bit
      earlier, or make your lunch at night. Leave 10 minutes sooner. Put
      dinner in the crockpot. Planning ahead helps, but when it comes
      down to it, let's decide to live life in the slow lane instead of in
      a rush. Just take our time whenever we can. Relax. There is
      usually nothing that important to make us hurry to miss out on the
      beauty! I try to think that if something happens, it happens for a
      reason. Take every chance we get to meet new people, or remember
      that taking it slow might just be the few seconds that keeps us from
      an accident at the next intersection or other near miss.
      * * *
      "Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning can give a sense of
      quiet in a crowded day-like writing
      a poem or saying a prayer." ~~Anne Morrow Lindbergh
      "Disgust and resolve are two of the great emotions that lead to
      change." ~~ Jim Rohn
      * * *
      SIMPLE GARDEN REFERENCE
      When a friend purchases a new Perennial plant, she copies the front
      and back of the tag with her printer and places it in a 3-ring
      binder. She also uses the clear plastic sheets to keep them nice.
      She records the Date, and where in the garden it was planted, and if
      it was a gift, who gave it to her. It makes a great reference for
      what plants that she has. She also has a photo section in the back
      from photos she has taken, or magazine photos of ideas she likes.

      SIMPLE RUEBEN CASSEROLE

      16 oz. corned beef slices, 1/4 in. thick and cut into pieces
      15 oz. can sauerkraut, rinsed to remove some salt and drained
      12 Slices Mozzarella or Provolone Cheese
      8 slices rye bread, torn or cut into bite sized pieces
      1 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
      1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

      Preheat oven to 350*F. Place the corned beef into greased, 12"x8"
      baking dish. Dot beef with Thousand Island dressing and spread
      sauerkraut over top. Cover all with sliced Mozzarella cheese. Toss
      rye
      bread pieces in melted butter or margarine and spread over cheese.
      Bake
      at 350*F for 30 minutes. Serves 6.

      Simple Dame's Rocket

      If you have a cottage garden, you won't want to be without
      Dame's Rocket. Often confused with phlox, their evening fragrance
      alone, similar to lilac, will knock your socks off. Not only that,
      but their pretty lavender blooms are one of the first perennials to
      blooms in early summer, right after the bulbs are finished with
      their show. Dame's rocket is very easy to start from seed, or get a
      few plants from the neighbor! They are not usually found growing in
      pots at a nursery, (why, I don't know), but they are a great plant
      for your garden. Grow 2-3 feet high. Cut back for a second bloom
      later in summer. Now, how's that for a great plant?