Summer Simple Fried Chicken

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2003
      The Simple Life

      Reunions. Food, fun, family, frolicking, and did I mention
      food? We've had several in the past couple weeks and you just can't
      beat `em, can you? New recipes we can't wait to get our hands on,
      and old standbys that we just can't pass up. Once a year we get
      together to swap stories from the last year, get caught up on the
      newest members of the family, retell stories from our family
      histories, and play a few games of volleyball in the hot sun. Funny
      thing is, I have yet to attend a family reunion of any family I know
      of that doesn't have an undercurrent flowing through the day.
      Someone says something to hurt someone's feelings, does
      something someone doesn't like, etc. etc., and they bring that
      baggage to the gathering. Have you noticed it too? The only sure
      thing is that every year there will be an issue about something.
      Families mean feelings. Remember the Hatfields and the McCoy's?
      Most of us don't even remember what the disagreement was about, but
      we know there was a family feud that lasted over a hundred years and
      even deaths! It's hard to know what to do, sometimes. Do we take
      sides, or keep out of it - speak up, or shut up? Another almost
      surety is that we are not going to change anyone by our words or our
      actions. Aunt Polly will be as opinionated as ever and Uncle Harold
      will still cut into the food line for seconds before we've had a
      chance for even one bite. Can we overlook each other's faults? Of
      course, there are some things that are better off not forgotten,
      too – when it has a bad effect on others.
      A wise cousin of mine and I were having our yearly
      conversation. She mentioned that even though her mother had had a
      difficult childhood, she refused to pass that legacy on to her
      children. She put a halt to the cycle by refusing to draw her
      children into her past hurts. I'm sure it was hard for my aunt
      leave the past in the past, but she did so with a heart full of love
      for her children. I admire that. There may not always be a way to
      bury the past in the past, and sometimes it may not even be a good
      idea, but just maybe once in a while we can let bygones be bygones
      by closing the door of pain and stepping through a door of healing.

      * * *
      Simple Quotes
      'Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.
      Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is
      to keep your mind young.' ~~Henry Ford

      Gratitude is born in hearts that take time to count up past mercies.
      ~~Charles E. Jefferson
      * * *
      Simple Wisdom
      "Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and
      through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place."
      2 Corinthians 2:14

      Simple Recipes

      It's apple time here in Michigan, and I just picked my first bag of
      transparent apples. They are still just a bit on the small side,
      but they will be great in pancakes, applesauce, or apple bread – no
      matter how I decide to slice `em.

      If you have a really good apple recipe that is a bit different from
      the norm, please send them in for some variety! How about apple
      salsa, or a unique way to preserve apples? Send them to:
      thesimple_life@...

      If you have another good from the garden recipe you can share with
      us, send them in too. We love `em! (New recipes, that is!)

      * * *
      I made some really good fried chicken this week - by accident! I
      was getting over a cold and not overly ambitious, but the chicken
      was already thawed out and I was hungry for fried chicken. I was not
      raised in the south, so fried chicken has not always been my forte.
      My husband loved it! Here's how our conversation went. "Boy this
      is the best fried chicken I've ever had!"
      "Really!" I exclaimed.
      "Well, it's the best fried chicken that you ever made." He quickly
      revised.
      "Aw, come on! That's not saying much. Which is it?"
      "It's definitely the best chicken you've ever made."
      "Oh brother, that's barely a compliment! Are you sure it's not the
      best chicken you ever had?"
      "Well, it might be, but I really don't know for sure." …

      Men! He still doesn't see the difference. Later that night in the
      potato patch (looking for potato bugs) - "Honey, was that the best
      fried chicken you ever had, or not?" – Some subjects are never laid
      to rest and never answered! (I think he's claiming the 5th!)

      Yummy Fried Chicken

      2 cups pancake batter
      ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
      as desired: 1 tsp salt, garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning,
      oregano, etc.
      Mix pancake batter according to directions, adding bread crumbs and
      seasonings. You want the batter thick. Dip pieces well into batter
      and lay on a cooling rack over foil to catch the drips to let the
      batter adhere to the chicken for a half hour. Heat oil in skillet
      to medium low (about 300 degrees). Fry chicken for 25 minutes,
      turning every 5 minutes. Check for doneness by piercing the thick
      part of the meat. Juices should run clear. You might have to fry
      in two batches. Add some mash potatoes and mushroom gravy and you
      just might hear that you've made the "best chicken ever". (But just
      don't bet on it!)

      Keeping Summer Simple,

      Sheryl

      http://www.geocities.com/thesimple_life.