Happy Mother's Day!

    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2006

      I talked to a mother of a six-year-old the other day. I was
      telling her about my kids and grandkids. "I wish my mother was like
      you," she said.
      "Why do you say that?" I inquired.
      "My mother is a pot-head. I won't even let her baby-sit my
      daughter. She can't even remember her own granddaughter's name!"
      We aren't all blessed with great moms. None of them were perfect,
      but most of them tried their best. As they said, parenthood is the
      only occupation that comes without a manual. And that's just with
      the easy kids. What does a mother do when her child gets cancer, or
      has a terrible accident, or any other calamity that can beset a
      child? How about when you get them all bundled up to go out and then
      they tell you they have to go to the bathroom? Or when your 3 year
      old throws up in the back seat on the way to grandmas and you have
      to stop and buy another outfit? There are so many variables and so
      many different things a parent has to deal with, no manual could
      cover.
      There are the 24 hours shifts, the hard bleacher seats, the last
      minute science projects. And then there is the "family factor".
      Everything from discipline to recipes, to how to make (or not make)
      a bed is learned behavior. We learn all kinds of things without
      even realizing we are "learning" something. We pass them on just as
      easily.
      How many generations does it take to break a bad habit, or start a
      new one? It really only takes one – one person who recognizes it
      and wants to change.
      One young mom realized that she was doing a lot of yelling at her 2
      darlings. She never thought she would be that way, but at the end
      of the day, when she was tired and stressed, that was how she
      handled difficult situations. She wanted her home to be full of
      love, safety, and positive encouragement. At night she would go and
      watch her sweet little children sleeping and wonder how she could
      have ever lost her temper with them. She decided to really work at
      being patient. She prays a lot. It's a daily battle, as all parents
      know. But one day at a time, she is making progress. That's the
      best we can do. Being a parent pays no salary, health insurance, or
      vacation pay. A few hugs when our kids forgive us for doing our best
      is the best we can hope for. But it's worth it. Our kids deserve
      it.
      Happy Mother's Day - everyday!
      * * *

      "In the garden of life, a Mother is the most beautiful flower of
      all."

      Simple Applesauce Cake

      1/2 c butter or Marg
      1 c brown sugar
      1 c applesauce
      1 c all-purpose flour
      1/2 t salt
      1/2 t baking powder
      1 t baking soda
      1/2 t cloves
      1 t cinnamon
      1 t allspice
      1 c raisins
      1/4 c chopped nuts

      Cream butter; add sugar, beat until light. Add egg; beat until
      fluffy. Add
      applesauce; mix well. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder,
      soda, cloves, cinnamon andallspice. Add nuts and raisins. Combine
      two mixtures. Bake in a greased 8-inch square pan at 350` for 40 to
      45 minutes. Frost with vanilla or cream cheese frosting, if desired.

      * * *
      Simple Cleome

      I used to think perennials were the way to go with flowers. When I
      first learned about perennials, I was amazed. Put them in the
      ground and they come back? Year after year! Awesome. However, I
      have some very welcome space for some annuals, as well. Some of
      them are so easy to grow, a child could do it – and should! Cleome –
      spider flower – is one of them. They are gorgeous, showy, and
      tough and easy at the same time. You can buy them already started,
      but if you have a packet of seed, that's the cheapest way to get
      them going. Press them into the soil (they need light to sprout)
      and water. Now all you have to do is keep them moist until they pop
      up. Late in summer you will have great big blooms that last until
      frost. Not only that, they will reseed themselves for next year if
      you don't chop them down and cart off all the stems! Weed the spot
      early in spring, and when temps reach 70` start watching. They will
      be popping up soon. Grow in the back of the garden, because they can
      get tall. Pinch back early for shorter, fuller plants. How easy is
      that? They mix well with other pastels and come in pink, purple,
      and white. Plant in a group for a sea of color. Now how simple is
      that?

      Ps, send in your favorites thesimple_life@...

      Keeping it simple,