Morels and More

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006

      This is Morel mushroom time in MI. Twenty and more dollars
      a pound to buy, but they could be lurking right in your back yard.
      I've found them under my clothesline, and behind the house. I have
      been told that it is impossible to create the right environment for
      morels to be domesticated.

      If you find so many you need to keep them for later, drying
      them is probably the best solution. Placing them unrinsed on a
      screen in the sun is best. Moisture will affect their chemistry,
      making them hard and dark. You can cut them in half to check for
      bugs, but the sun will clean them. If you see dirt, try to brush it
      off. You can also dry them indoors, but heat and light work best.

      Try to use a basket or mesh onion or orange type bag for
      collection. Hundreds of thousand of spores can fall off the
      mushrooms as you walk through the woods, sometimes taking up to 5
      years to germinate into an actual mushroom. You won't miss the
      spores from the mushrooms, but you will miss them from the woods.

      Morels are delicious rolled in flour and fried, or chopped
      in eggs, or in omelets. You can also make them into a delicious
      mushroom soup. But even if you romp in the woods is "unfruitful",
      there is so much beauty you might not even notice coming home empty
      handed.

      This time of year, the woods are simply unfurling.
      Wildflowers are blooming, the wintergreen are in fruit, ferns are
      unrolling their fiddleheads. For anyone who enjoys nature, this is
      a trip into nature that you won't forget. Take the kids and see
      what they will point out. Fox holes, chipmunks, turkeys, and
      songbirds. There is no limit to what you might see. And if you do
      find a few of the sometimes elusive morels, all the better!

      * * *
      "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about
      things that matter." ~~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
      "Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make
      happiness impossible." --St. Augustine
      * * *

      Simple Asparagus Parmesan
      A quick and easy asparagus that is sauteed, and topped off with
      Parmesan cheese."
      Prep time: 5 minutes
      Cook time: 10 minutes
      Ready in: 15 minutes
      INGREDIENTS
      1 TBSP butter
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1 lb. fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
      3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
      DIRECTIONS:
      Melt butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
      Add asparagus spears, and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10
      minutes, or to desired firmness. Drain off excess oil, and sprinkle
      with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
      Note: the butter can be substituted with extra olive oil. Yields 5
      servings.

      If you don't have an asparagus patch in your backyard, you can.
      Asparagus is very easy to grow, and takes very little care. You
      might be able to get some from your neighbor, or you can look for
      roots at a nursery or feed store. This time of year it is
      mouthwatering fresh from the garden, or steamed, or in a casserole.

      Send in your best garden hint to be printed in the next issue!

      thesimple_life@...

      Can't wait to hear from you!