Simple Easter!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006

      Spring does it to us every year. We should be used to it,
      after all we live here in good ol' Michigan. She just plays with
      us. A warm day, then cloudy, or cold and windy. Maybe a bit of
      snow and then another kiss of sunshine. Hide and seek. Snowbanks
      in shady areas are still melting. But when the sun comes out – look
      out! It's like a nice warm hug. This week warm temps are on the
      way, just in time for Easter.
      Easter is a big hug for all of us. Easter is when God
      reached down to earth and showed us all how much He loves us. And
      each Spring we are reminded. So many love to display Easter in
      their yard. How about a cross with our displays, to remember the
      love God gives us all year long, but especially at Easter.
      There are many religions in the world. Many religious
      celebrations. But there is no religion, other than Christianity,
      where God reaches down and with the sacrifice of his son, shows His
      love to the world. That is worth celebrating. I find that amazing.
      How is it that God is not so frustrated with the utter stupidity of
      the human race that he hasn't abandoned us all? But instead He only
      knows how to love. No matter how bad, and ridiculous we are, He
      continues to love us.
      We all have questions and doubts about our faith. But
      Easter is really all that matters. I hope you can attend an Easter
      service with your family to remind us what it's all about. Sing the
      good old hymns, "For the Beauty of the Earth", "Amazing Grace",
      Oprah, in her magazine always has a column "What I know for sure."
      I don't know how much we can know for sure about anything. People
      hurt us, talk behind our backs, expect too much, weather lets us
      down, life can let us down. But this I know for sure, God cannot
      let us down. Only we can let him down. It's all up to us.
      We are willing to take risks all the time – speed, thrill rides,
      bungee jumping (!), but when it comes to faith, we just sit on the
      fence. Take a leap of faith, or just wiggle your toes in the
      water. Either way, God is waiting to give you a hug.
      And amidst the fun, the Easter bunny, the chocolate eggs, I hope
      you can talk with your family about what really matters in our busy
      world- Easter. Sometimes it's just that simple.

      * * *

      "As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding,
      mistrust and hostility to evaporate."~~ Albert Schweitzer

      "One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it."
      ~~French Proverb

      "We write our own destiny . . . we become what we do." ~~Chiang Kai-
      shek
      * * *
      In the Garden
      Our daffodils are just budding. Buds everywhere are just about
      ready to burst open. Last year we added some flowering trees to the
      yard, and I am anxiously awaiting the first colorful spring blooms.
      As soon as the yard is dry enough to walk on, I can't wait to get
      back to planting.
      Taking photos of your yard can be lots of fun. Each year you can
      take more photos of your progress. It can help you get ideas of
      changes you want to make, as well.
      I collect magazine photos I love, and keep them in a file folder.
      That way when I am looking for ideas, I can find the ones I love
      quickly. You could also put them in a binder.
      Our Rhubard is coming up. Can't wait for that first pie of spring,
      can you?

      * * *
      I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love…1
      John 4:16
      I knit you together in your mother's womb…Psalm 139:13
      I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love…1
      John 4:16
      Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand…James 1:17
      Because I love you with an everlasting love…Jeremiah 31:3
      * * *
      Simple Easter Cake

      Mix a yellow or white cake mix according to directions. Add 1 can
      mandarin oranges chopped. Bake as directed in 2 round layers, or a
      9x13. Add one box vanilla pudding mix to an 8 oz container cool
      whip. Add 1 small can chopped pineapple. Frost cooled cake.
      (Thanks for the recipe, Mom)

      To Copy recipes or look up past recipes or columns, go to