The Simple Life - Spring!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006

      Spring!

      Everywhere you look, there are robins! In our area that
      means spring. I know there are those out there who had robins all
      winter, but not here. Our bluebirds are back as well. In fact, the
      female blue bird is right outside my bay window right now, pecking
      at berries and seeds and begging me to take her picture. They have
      claimed their home, a barn-wood birdhouse in the back yard that is
      on a post about 7 feet high. When I bought the birdhouse, I had no
      idea that birds, let alone bluebirds, would take up residence for
      the first time in my backyard.
      The prehistoric-like sand hill cranes whose call will attract your
      attention a mile or so away, are soaring all around, enjoying the
      warm weather. Though everything is still that dull brown, in a week
      or so everything will be turning green. But the leaf buds are
      swelling, just waiting for a drink from a good rainstorm.
      I was excited to hang my clothes on the line the other day. The
      warm sun on my face, and by late afternoon, the clothes were soft
      and warm and dry from the spring breeze. I know, it doesn't take
      much to get me excited, but when you can find joy from hanging
      clothes on the line, I guess you can find happiness in just about
      anything. There is happiness in the simple things of life. When it
      doesn't take an amusement park thrill ride to make you happy, then
      you just might have learned one of the secrets to life.
      A simple walk. A pot of homemade chicken soup with tender carrots,
      peas and onions to warm your tummy. Picking a jar of home-canned
      applesauce from the shelf to feed to your grandkids. Having a
      family birthday party. A quiet walk along the road. Raking the
      winter debris from the yard. Mile-high baking powder biscuits, fresh
      from the oven. Washing all the windows to a sparkling clean. These
      are the things that keep life simple and satisfying. When these are
      the things that can add happiness to a person's life, then we have
      found what life is all about. Simplicity.
      * * *

      "Refrain from asking what is going to happen tomorrow, and everyday
      that fortune grants you, count as gain." ~~ Horace

      "There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it
      perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for
      less." ~~Kurt Hahn

      "The power of one is above all things the power to believe in
      yourself. Often well beyond any latent ability previously
      demonstrated. The mind is the athlete, the body is simply the means
      it uses." ~~ Bryce Courtenay

      A woman decided to take a bus through the night, thinking she
      could sleep while she traveled to her destination. However,
      unfamiliar with the area, she didn't realize that the bus was
      traveling along a narrow winding road through the mountains. There
      was not a guardrail to be seen. The bus driver, seemingly oblivious
      to the danger, traveled at breakneck speed, alternating between
      passing precariously on the edge of the road, and slamming on the
      brakes to let others pass. At first she was tortured with fear. But
      then she realized that the bus would either make it or not.
      Like New York Yankees outfielder Mickey Rivers once
      said, "Ain't no
      sense in worrying about things you got control over, 'cause if you
      got control over them, ain't no sense worrying. And there ain't no
      sense worrying about things you got no control over, 'cause if you
      got no control over them, ain't no sense worrying about them."
      So she rested in that thought, leaned her head back and
      relaxed. By mornings light, she felt the bus pulling into the
      station. And she realized that she'd just learned the meaning of
      trust.
      * * *
      Simple Chicken Soup
      Take some cooked chicken. Cut in cubes. Cover with water in
      a sauce pan. Add chicken flavoring such as bullion or base. Add cut
      up carrots and onions and any other vegetable you would enjoy. I
      like to add a can of peas. When vegetables are tender, thicken
      soup, if desired, with flour mixed in water. Or add noodles or
      dumplings. Eat as soup, or pour over piping hot biscuits for a
      chicken and biscuit dish. Great with coleslaw.

      ps. please write in your favorite lifestyle change that "keeps it
      simple". did you quit your job and move to the country, or stay
      home with your kids, or find something that makes dinnertime easy?

      I'd love to hear from you, and will post the answers on our next
      issue!