Simple Appreciation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20 7:25 PM

      "Kindness is to people as the sun is to ice"

      Mike and Julie were married, but they both felt their family
      was in a rut. They each thought the other was to blame. They would
      come home from work and start nagging each other about chores, and
      nagging the kids about homework. But one day something set off a
      chain of events that turned everything upside down. Mike said to
      his daughter, "You look really nice today, honey." She asked her
      mother later, "What's got into Dad?"
      More strange behavior happened a few days later when
      Julie was doing laundry. "Let me do that, honey, go take a break."
      Julie's mouth dropped open, "Th-th-thanks." But then, "Mike, what do
      you want?"
      "Nothing at all, just go take a break." She grabbed her
      latest book and headed for the porch, but it was hard to
      concentrate.
      The next day Mike took his son and his friend for ice
      cream. Everyone was wondering what was up with dad. He brought home
      flowers for his wife and pizza on a Friday night. And something else
      strange was happening. Everyone was trying harder. Their daughter
      was dressing nicely instead of her sweatshirts and jeans. Their son
      was doing his homework right after school. It didn't happen
      overnight. The kids still slacked off sometimes, but then one day
      another thing happened.
      Julie said to Mike, "You know Mike, I want you to know how
      much I appreciate you. You work hard at work, and you come home and
      work hard too. It was just one small thing, but it really changed
      their family. It all started with a simple word
      called "appreciation".
      * * *
      "You will regret many things in life but you will never regret being
      too kind or too fair." ~~ Brian Tracy

      "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as
      two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand. Simplify, simplify."
      ~~Henry David Thoreau

      * * *
      Simple Workout
      In order to retain good posture and build strength in my arms and
      shoulders, I plan to increase my exercise by holding a 5-pound
      potato sack in each hand, extend my arms out from my sides, and hold
      them for one minute.

      After a few weeks, my plan is to increase to 10-pound sacks.
      The goal is to work up to 50-pound sacks. When I can do each
      successfully for one minute, I then plan to put a potato in each of
      the sacks!

      * * *
      This weekend, how about a family night? I remember when we
      were kids, my mom and dad had a hamburger and shake night. We
      didn't have a blender or a shake machine, so mom made a big bunch of
      chocolate shake right in a big mixing bowl with her old Sunbeam
      mixer. I can remember thinking "Wow, just like McDonalds!". (yes,
      there was a McDonalds, then. Do something to surprise the kids.
      Is pizza your favorite? Do a search on the internet for copy cat
      recipes. Just do one simple thing, and do it together. Then, how
      about a game or a puzzle? Look at old photos or plan this years'
      vacation!

      Simple Onion Ring Dipping Sauce

      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      2 t ketchup
      1 1/2 t prepared horseradish
      1/2 t parsley
      1/2 t granulated sugar
      1/2 t lemon juice
      1/4 t ground cayenne pepper

      Combine all ingredients in a plastic refrigerator bowl. Cover and
      chill for at an
      hour before using.