Try Something New!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2006

      "A contented person will be happy just about anywhere."

      * * *
      SIMPLE SWEET-N-SOUR MEATBALLS

      1 (14-oz) can pineapple tidbits or chunks, undrained
      1/4 cup brown sugar
      2 tablespoons cornstarch
      1/2 cup water
      1/4 cup cider vinegar
      1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more to taste)
      1 family meal-sized portion of freezer meatballs
      1 (5-oz) can water chestnuts, drained and thinly sliced
      1 green pepper, cut in strips

      Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving syrup. In medium saucepan,
      combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Blend in reserved syrup, water,
      cider vinegar and soy sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until
      thick and bubbly. Carefully stir in meatballs, water chestnuts,
      green pepper strips and pineapple. Heat to a
      boiling. Serve over hot cooked rice. (5 servings)
      * * *
      "If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by
      realizing that you are the author and everyday you have the
      opportunity to write a new page." ~~ Mark Houlahan

      "Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep
      you from love." ~~ Leo Buscaglia
      * * *
      Try Something New!

      Sometimes our lives are so predictable, we don't stop to
      realize that there is nothing special going on. We just do the same
      things day after day, clean the house, walk the dog, watch TV,
      study, even eating the same old meals. I recently had a project I
      was working on that was a gift for my granddaughter who is soon
      going to back to California when her Daddy comes home from Iraq.
      I'm really glad they will be together, but I will miss her greatly.
      I decided that, using the scraps from a quilt I'd made her when she
      was born, I would make her a photo book of all the people she
      loved. Since she is only one, a regular paper book wouldn't do. So
      I bought supplies and put the photos on fabric. I ran into some
      problems, but I kept working at it until I figured a way it would
      work.
      I could find no instructions on the internet for a project
      even remotely close to the one I was doing, so I was completely on
      my own, with a bit of help from the ladies at the fabric store.
      While it didn't turn out perfectly, I do know next time how I can
      make it much better.
      But the real bonus was in doing something creative. It was
      just something different in the middle of winter when going outdoors
      is not the first thought in my mind. I realized how much I love
      being creative.
      My husband is a real creative guy, too. He is constantly
      inventing some great ideas for the street rods he builds. Some of
      the ideas he comes up with amaze me. It started when he was a kid.
      He learned to do mechanic work, and weld, and all the things you
      need to know to really make some innovations to a custom car. When
      he was a kid, he got some scrap lumber and built a shed. His dad
      thought it was a pretty nice shed. When he got home from work the
      next day, the shed was gone. Richard had sold it for $75. His dad
      was just a little put out! But back in those days, you could buy a
      running car for $50 or $75 dollars. A kids got to do what a kids got
      to do! He also worked for next to nothing at a neighborhood garage
      after school, just to learn. This was when he was only about 12 or
      13 years old. And he learned so much! If his parents had given him
      everything he wanted, he may never have learned all he did. Their
      TV was an old black and white with lots of "snow". It was such an
      effort to watch it, that no one really wanted to.
      When you find yourself in a rut, which we all do from time
      to time, try to mix it up a bit. Try a new recipe out on your
      family. Take a class. Buy some tools. Do a kit, even paint by
      number. No, your first attempt won't be perfect, but you will learn
      how to do it better!