Serious Garden Problems!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2003
      July 22

      The Simple Life

      Happens every summer. The sun is shining, clothes hanging on
      the line. There is a gentle breeze blowing and one glance outside
      tells you there is trouble. Dark clouds are descending. The race
      is on! I dash out the door to quickly grab the dry clothes off the
      line before they get another rinse. 3 minutes later and I have won –
      this time. No sooner do I make it into the house than the clouds
      begin to hurl their moisture toward earth. Just one small simple
      battle won. Tonight the battle was between my husband Richard and
      the storm. Barely got the lawn mower parked in the garage before
      the deluge descended. We have been getting plenty of rain in these
      parts. Ought to help the lake levels back up a bit.

      * * *
      Simple Fun
      It was late one night when the phone rang. The desperate voice
      of a friend was calling. "Sheryl, can I talk to you –
      confidentially?" Certainly the earth-shattering trouble I was about
      to hear about was way out of my league, but, what the hey, "Sure,
      you can talk to me", I answer with sincerity, in a hushed tone,
      dripping with concern.
      My friend rushes head-long into the terrible details - "You
      know that columbine plant I showed you a couple weeks ago?" I can
      stop holding my breath! At least it is not a blue Himalayan Poppy
      or a rare and expensive Golden Weeping Asian Oak from the rain
      forests of Tibet. What a relief! "Go on", I urge, now that the
      biggest part of the story has been divulged.
      "Well, remember I told you it hadn't yet bloomed? I was
      planting some other flowers and decided to just yank it out of the
      ground!" She exclaimed.
      I gasped. "Really!?" Knowing that any self-respecting gardener
      must be extremely desperate to just yank a plant from the garden.
      "You will never guess!" She was tormenting me now. "Grubs! –
      the whole plant was infested! What do you do about grubs?"
      "Grubs?" I am shocked. I am also at a loss of advice. "I
      think we will have to call in the professionals for this one! This
      is not a problem I have dealt with. This is way beyond my level of
      expertise. I'll get back with you after I have called in the team."
      I tell her.
      "10-4." She hangs up.
      I glance around to make sure no one is lurking. Everyone else
      is in bed, I am in the clear. I go to my "garden chain" list and
      set up a conference call, dialing the secret numbers.
      "Team, we have a live one! – Grubs!"
      I hear simultaneous gasps coming from my colleagues. "Yep,
      grubs on a columbine."
      "Oh, my! - My Aunt Phyllis had a problem with that once. Any
      other victims?"
      "None yet, but will be conducting further testing at daybreak."
      I advise.
      "Just to be sure we will consult with the real expert," one
      colleague advises. "Our Secret Weapon – the Internet!"
      We hang up and log on. I go straight for Google.com. I
      type "grub" in the search box. Hundreds of links to information
      sites pop up. After our final consultation we find that grubs are
      immature June bugs. They eat roots and bulbs of garden plants.
      Wasps are natural grub enemies and mole problems often indicate
      grubs. Constantly moist soil also attracts the beetles to lay their
      eggs under mulch. It seems that there are some chemicals available
      for grubs such as Sevin or Diazinon can be applied, others advise to
      use some diluted dish soap, and cultivation can work if infestation
      is in a limited area (birds will gobble up grubs).
      I call back my friend. I tell her to dig a few test spots to
      look for further signs of trouble, also to keep an eye out for
      damage to other plants.
      It's all in a days work.
      * * *
      Simple Ideas
      I saw a young mother in a restaurant with a good idea
      recently. She put 2 quarters in front of each of her three
      children. She told them that if they were well-mannered during
      dinner, they could spent the money in the sticker machines on the
      way out. I thought it worked rather well. The children were very
      well behaved and each spent their quarters after dinner. If you
      don't like this idea, you might like to improvise.
      * * *
      "Wrong is always wrong, even if everybody's doing it; and right is
      always right, even if nobody's doing it." ~ Ben Heany

      "The essential conditions of everything you do must be choice, love,
      passion." ~Nadia Boulanger
      * * *

      A cool treat for a hot day - Orange Julius – The kids will love
      this one!

      6 oz can frozen orange juice concentrate

      1 cup water
      one half cup sugar
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      8 to 10 ice cubes
      1 cup milk
      Blend well in blender and serve.
      * * *
      Simple Wisdom
      The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-
      scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a
      well-watered garden, like a spring, whose waters never fail. ~
      Isaiah 58:11

      Keeping Summer Simple,