This Old House

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005

      When we bought our house, it was nothing more than an old
      house in the middle of no-where. The yard was a hay field that
      hadn't been in mowed in years. Hunters had been using the house
      during hunting season. There were a few cans of stew in the falling-
      off-the-wall cupboards. The wiring was old, the windows needed to
      be replaced. The roof leaked pretty severely, in places. The garage
      was 20' X20' and just the right size for a model A. It looked pretty
      forlorn, but a lot of elbow grease and a few buckets of paint, some
      donated by a friend, and it began to come together. The repairs
      didn't happen overnight. Neither did the neglect.
      The roof didn't begin to leak buckets overnight, but tiny
      drips. The weeds didn't take over the lawn in a day. The garden
      didn't become overgrown in a week. The cobwebs weren't built in a
      month. It all could have been prevented with a little maintenance.
      Holidays were made for celebrating, but who wants to
      celebrate by themselves? We are meant to spend celebrating together
      with family and friends we love. Who cheers you at work? Who brings
      you coffee everyday? Who meets you for lunch? Who makes your life
      special just by being there? Relationships take maintenance, too.
      When was the last time you celebrated your relationships?
      Hugged someone just for the good of it? Thanked them for something
      special they've done? Forgave them for doing something that
      irritates the dickens out of you, but didn't really hurt anything?
      Brought them a gift for no special reason? Surprised them with
      something they'll never forget? Asked for forgiveness for your
      neglect or criticism? Made them a plate of cookies?
      Don't wait until the roof leaks severely, or the windows
      leak, or the yard is overgrown. If you do, it may be too late.
      When we neglect each other, the one we hurt most, is ourself. We
      deprive ourselves of joy by forgetting one of the greatest gifts God
      gave us - the gift of each other.
      * * *
      "The only rock I know that stays steady, the only
      institution I know that works, is the family."~~ Lee Iacocca

      "The family, that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite
      escape, nor in our innermost hearts never quite wish to."~~ Dodie
      Smith

      "Friendship is three parts love and seven parts forgiveness of
      sins."~~ Langdon Mitchell

      * * *
      Simple Holiday Breakfast

      Do everything the day before for a simple Breakfast even you will
      enjoy!
      Make juice and get the coffee pot ready to go the evening before.
      Have the table set, too. Do everything possible the night before.
      Make breakfast casserole and put in refrigerator until morning.
      Have bread for toaster, muffins to warm, or rolls to pop in the
      oven. In the morning turn on the coffee pot, bake the breakfast
      casserole and/or rolls.

      Simple Crockpot Coffeecake

      1 can (20 oz) apple pie filling,1/2 t cinnamon, 3 T brown sugar,
      Nuts – optional,
      Batter Ingredients: 1 yellow cake box mix, 2 eggs, beaten, 1/2 c
      sour cream, 3 T softened butter or margarine, 1/2 c evaporated
      milk,1 t vanilla, 1/2 t cinnamon

      Combine first three ingredients (and nuts if using) in a small bowl.
      Combine batter ingredients; mix well.
      Grease or spray the inside of a 4 qt slow cooker. Spread about half
      the apple mixture in the bottom of the pot.
      Spoon 1/2 the batter over the apple mixture. Spoon the remaining
      apple mixture over the batter, then cover with remaining batter.
      Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Turn heat off, leave
      cover ajar slightly, and cool for about 15 minutes. Invert on a
      plate and serve. To make this really simple, plug into a timer, and
      set to be ready in the morning!

      Simple Breakfast Casserole

      1 1/2 lbs. hot sausage, cooked and drained
      3 cups milk
      3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
      9 eggs, well beaten
      3 slices white bread, crumbled
      1/2 Tsp dry mustard
      Combine all ingredients in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Refrigerate
      for 3 hours up to overnight. Cook in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.