Simple Integrity

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2005

      ~The location of paradise has far more to do with the person than
      the place.~

      Shortages, not enough oil refineries -we (most of us) bought
      their excuses. We allowed them to nearly double the gas prices we
      are paying at the pump. Now we are beginning to see that the huge
      oil companies were not digging for oil, but gold, and lining their
      own pockets with it, not ours.

      This past quarter, the big oil companies and all their
      little subsidiaries reported profits in the Billions. In just one
      quarter! Billions. While we are going broke just driving to work.
      Oil companies have scammed their own country – the one they take for
      granted. They have bankrupted airlines and trucking companies.
      They have caused layoffs and closures. They make ENRON look tame
      and Martha Stewart was nothing in comparison.

      Will they do jail time? Will they ever understand how
      deeply they have hurt their fellow Americans? Will they be made to
      pay for the damage they have done? Supposedly they are preparing to
      go before congress to explain their actions. Sure they have a right
      to make a profit, but billions goes far beyond profit.

      While we are indignantly, and for good reason upset, it is a
      lesson to all of us. A woman recently went against something that
      she knew was a rule at work. It wasn't a big deal, and she thought
      it was wrong. But it was a rule. She was warned by her
      supervisor. She still broke the rule. The manager called her at
      her desk. " Did your supervisor tell you not to break the rule?"
      "Yes."
      "If your supervisor tells you something you must follow the
      rule."
      She started to argue why the rule was wrong. Then she realized
      she was wrong. An apology was in order. It took a lot of courage
      to go to her supervisor, but she did. She wanted to be a person of
      integrity. She knew breaking the rule was not a big deal to her,
      but it was a rule. If she was a person who is honest with herself,
      she knew she must follow the rule.
      Most of us will never make billions of dollars, let alone
      millions. But the real riches don't lie in the money we stuff into
      our pockets, but the values we hold in our hearts. Life is not
      fair. There will be stupid rules. But there is always the choice
      for integrity. It's that simple.
      * * *

      "How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking; always by
      doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you
      amount to. And what is your duty? Whatever the day calls for." ~~
      Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

      "All the wonders you seek are within yourself." -Sir Thomas Browne

      Simple Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
      2-1/2 c flour
      2 c sugar
      1 t cinnamon
      1/2 t cloves
      1/2 t nutmeg
      1 t baking soda
      1/2 t salt
      2 eggs, slightly beaten
      1 c canned pumpkin
      1/2 c vegetable oil
      2 c peeled, finely chopped apples

      In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside. In a
      medium bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin and the oil. Add liquid
      ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon just to
      moisten. Gently stir in the apples. Spoon batter into greased and
      floured or paper-lined muffin cups. Fill to 3/4 full. Sprinkle the
      Streusel Topping over the batter.
      Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a
      toothpick inserted in center of each muffin comes out clean.
      Streusel Topping:
      In a small bowl, combine 2 T flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar,
      and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Cut in 2 T butter and mix with fork until the
      topping is crumbly. Makes 18 muffins.

      * * *
      Deer Season Opener
      Here in Michigan, it is the opening of rifle season this
      week. Many hunters I know are eagerly anticipating "The Hunt". To
      some the week is a chance to spend with the buddies eating chili and
      playing cards, leaving work behind. It might be the first hunt for
      some of you. Your hunting blind may be a shack in the woods the
      size of an outhouse that the wind hasn't managed to topple, or it
      may be a carpeted and comfortable mini house, complete with
      satellite TV. How you do it is up to you. But for each of us that
      loads our rifle, and waits in the dark watching for daylight,
      listening to the wind and the squirrels chatter and feeling that
      anticipation take a moment to thank our Creator for the opportunity
      to be in the woods. Look around you and think of all you do have to
      be thankful for – from the rustling leaves to the rabbit in the bush
      to the mighty buck that might pass your blind. Even if you never
      squeeze the trigger, you have experienced an awesome experience in
      nature.
      Native Americans thanked the Great Spirit after the kill,
      and wouldn't think of wasting part of a kill. If you have leftover
      deer meat you can't use, consider donating it to a homeless shelter
      or food pantry.