~Holidays Made Simple~

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2005

      ~The location of paradise has far more to do with the person than
      the place.~

      Holidays Made Simple

      Not many people want a stress-filled holiday. No one sits down
      to say, "Hmmm, let's see, how can we make a stressful holiday?"
      But, we can all have a stressful holiday, if we don't plan ahead.

      Set a date early. Do it the year before, if necessary. What
      day is most everyone available? You might not be able to get
      together on Christmas day, but does it really matter? It's the time
      together, not the when, that matters. And, you might get to help at
      a special dinner if you're not busy with family, which is a double
      blessing. Or, maybe the whole family could volunteer to help at
      holiday dinner for people, maybe at your church, for those who might
      be alone. That way you can have a nice family breakfast or late
      dinner together and work together to help others. A great example
      for the kids.
      Holidays are traditions, not just food. Play a game of
      charades, or monopoly, or look at old family slides, don't just eat
      a big meal and watch football. Interact with each other, laugh, go
      sledding, or go for a family walk, anything to make a memory.

      Gifts: Spending money is not the idea behind gifts. One year
      I gave three people a gift of a bread machine. I had bought them
      all at second hand shops or yard sales (I got one for myself, too!)
      One was brand-new in the box, they all came with the directions for
      how to use them. None were used more than once or twice. That's
      not cheap, it's practical. Another friend has a closet where she
      stores things she cannot use anymore. Something that doesn't work
      for her anymore might be just the idea for someone else. She told
      them all ahead of time what she would be giving for gifts and spent
      her time making a nice match for her friends. Maybe it's a vase a
      friend always loved, or a portrait that they admired. After a while
      it's nice to change the scenery in your home anyways. I have been
      given a gift that I admired from a friend, that was something I
      always admired at her home, and when she was done with it, she gave
      it to me. It was one of the most special gifts I received because
      it had a history.
      If you are going to exchange gifts, draw names early. If you
      want to surprise someone the next time you are at their home, look
      for something they really can use. Do they need a new toaster, a
      dustbuster? Is there a job you could do for them? Sometimes these
      make the best gifts! Or, like another family I know, they give
      special gifts at birthdays, not on busy holidays. Another family
      spends money on a trip, not gifts.
      Food: At most of our family gatherings, everything is pot-
      luck. No one cooks the whole meal or cleans up alone. Some
      families go out to dinner, and that may work for them, but we all
      enjoy bringing our own favorite dishes. Even the kids enjoy helping
      set the table, or putting the dishes in the dishwasher. That way
      everyone can do something fun together quicker. We do have our
      special family dishes that we enjoy each year.

      **********
      "Winners are those people who make a habit of doing things losers
      are uncomfortable doing." ~~Ed Forman

      "When you accomplish a goal, don't cross it out. Instead,
      write `victory'
      next to it and move on to the next one. This way, whenever you have a
      bad day, all you have to do is to review your victories to feel good
      about
      yourself." ~~Jack Canfield

      "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of
      your heart." ~~ Ps. 37:4

      Simple After-Shave

      After-shave lotion ingredients are water, alcohol and scent.
      To make your own, fill an empty bottle of after-shave lotion with 20
      to 30% rubbing alcohol and the rest with water. Then, add a few
      drops of your favorite cologne to the mix. Shake it and it's ready
      to use! It costs a fraction of the store bought after-shave lotion
      and does the same job.

      *********

      Simple Quick Garlic Bread

      We always buy our buns and bread at the outlet store. When we
      make hamburgers or hot dogs for a meal, we always end up with extra
      unused buns. I freeze these and pull them out when it's spaghetti
      night to make garlic bread. I spread on butter, garlic powder and
      salt and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Or for just a
      couple, you can use a toaster oven, or horizontal toaster.

      PS- send in your easiest home-made or frugal gift ideas and we will
      pass them on to our readers.

      thesimple_life@...

      IT's that Simple!