Creativity!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005

      "Every human being is the architect of his own future"

      "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."
      Ecclesiastes 9:10

      Where do your opinions come from? Human beings are Homo
      Sapiens which means thinking man. There was a time, and not too
      long ago in history, when expressing an opinion different from those
      in power could cost you your life. A man in 1543, Nicholaus
      Copernicus published his opinion that the sun, not the earth was the
      center of the solar system. He paid the price for this opinion with
      his life. Thomas Edison was asked by a colleague, "Why do you
      persist in this folly? You have failed more than 9,000 times."
      Edison's quick reply? "I haven't even failed once; nine
      thousand
      times I've learned what doesn't work.
      Often we as humans let our past experiences dictate our
      futures. We've had dream stealers tell us what we can and
      can't
      do. (Ex. "Your father is a farmer and you will be a farmer.")
      Imagine if Mother Teresa had looked at the staggering number
      of poor and shrugged her shoulders in defeat. We all have a choice
      to pursue contentment over exploration.
      In Vienna, during the 1800's, women were dying in high numbers of
      blood poisoning soon after giving birth. Hungarian physician, I. P.
      Semmelweiss began insisting that doctors begin washing in chlorine
      water before entering the maternity wards. The annual death rate
      fell from 459 to 45. He was driven out of Vienna and ostracized by
      his colleagues.
      When we begin to use our minds in exploration we are often
      met with criticism from those around us. Several of my cousins have
      chosen to homeschool their children. They all met with criticism,
      but you couldn't meet a collective group of great kids. What
      amazes
      me about these kids is their wisdom. They have been taught to
      think! New ideas are stepping stones to critical thinking and
      creative living. What a novel idea. The oldest of these kids are
      attending college and earning high marks. What if we lived in an
      environment that encourages expressing creative ideas, instead of
      having fear of negative criticism.
      Empathy is a critical factor in developing a healthy
      attitude toward life. Mother Teresa used empathy by putting herself
      in the shoes of the poor. Rather than accepting their plight in a
      fatalistic way, she saw that helping them could change their life
      for the better. Such as the phrase "Give a man a fish he eats
      for a
      day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime." Parents and
      teachers have a tremendous capacity to teach our children to fly or
      clip their wings.
      A neighbor gave us an old travel trailer to haul away. When
      my husband brought it home, he realized that it wasn't in good
      shape
      to be on the road, but still in reasonable shape. As we walked
      around the trailer, checking the doors and windows, our minds began
      to wander. My mind wandered to using the lumber to build a
      greenhouse that I have been wanting to build. Richard's idea was
      remove the frame and use it to build a small trailer to pull to car
      shows. When we began talking we combined and expanded our ideas. I
      realized that the trailer itself could become a greenhouse. Richard
      suggested we add more windows. Then he said it might be nice to
      paint the whole trailer with flowers. I liked that idea and began
      envisioning what it could look like. I saw a wooden table to hold
      my seedlings. We threw ideas around like a tennis match,
      alternately accepting and rejecting different ideas. We decided to
      give our idea a couple days to settle. More ideas flowed. Keeping
      in mind that he wanted a trailer as a result, and I wanted a longer
      growing season for vegetables.
      (Who wants to pay $1.29 for a zucchini when they grow at home for
      free?)
      When we give each other the freedom to explore our minds and
      ideas, we are living in creative simplicity and rejecting
      negativity. Let the ideas flow.

      * * *
      "To lose one's life is a little thing and I shall have the
      courage to do so if it is necessary; but to see the meaning of this
      life dissipated, to see our reason for existing disappear, that is
      what is unbearable. One cannot life without meaning." ~~Albert
      Camus

      "It is never to late to be what you might have been."
      ~~George Eliot
      * * *
      Simple Dry Rub for Chicken, Ribs, or Brisket

      1 T ground black pepper, 1 Tground white pepper, 1 T sugar, 2 t
      cayenne pepper,
      2 T chili powder, 1 T cumin, 1 T garlic powder, 1 T brown sugar, 1 T
      ground oregano, 4 T paprika, 1 t dry mustard, 1 T celery seed, 1 T
      salt

      Thoroughly combine all of the ingredients. Rub the mixture into the
      meat, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or
      overnight. Grill, or roast the meat. Store leftover mixture in an
      airtight jar or in the freezer.

      * * *
      In the Garden:

      Frost is imminent in our region. Pull tomatoes out of the ground,
      shake off dirt and hang upside down in cool area protected from
      frost. Tomatoes will slowly ripen on the vine, giving you tomatoes
      for several months. A couple old windows put together can give you
      a "cold frame" to grow your own lettuce, etc. Or protect
      your
      garden from slight frost by covering plants with old blankets during
      the night until there is a hard freeze.
      Remove geraniums from soil. Shake off dirt. Cut back to 6".
      Place in a brown paper bag and store in a cool dark place until Feb.
      or March when you replant and water and they will grow again.

      Send in your ideas for prolonging the growing season to
      s_simons@...

      ps, HI to all who wrote in the last couple weeks. I really
      appreciate the ideas and encouragement!

      Hope you are enjoying our lovely fall weather. Celebrate the colors!