A grandmother is Born

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14 5:48 AM

      Learning to be a Grandmother

      My grandmothers always had peppered gray hair, except for my
      great grandmother Dafoe, who had the most lovely long and pure white
      hair which she kept properly in a bun. She wore those lace-up black
      shoes with the chunky heels. I was very young, but I remember her
      beautiful home, her spick and span white kitchen and her good
      cooking.
      My Dad's mother Grandma Sergent was a wonderful grandmother, and she
      always kept her cookie jars full for the grandkids to raid. I can
      remember her saying that we'd spoil our appetites, but I don't
      remember her ever telling us to put those cookies back. I don't
      remember her ever relaxing. She was always bustling about the
      kitchen, and she had a great smile and was always quick to laugh.
      My mother's mother Grandma Spencer, was an exceptional baker, as
      well as cook. Her specialty was caramel cinnamon rolls, and I have
      never had an equal anywhere. They were always perfect.
      I suspect the secret to all their cooking was the love they added
      to their recipes, because there was never any doubt that any of my
      grandmothers loved all their grandchildren. I know I didn't
      appreciate it then, but looking back, I can see that everything they
      did was done with a full helping of that secret ingredient.
      Last year, I knew like most grandmothers, that in a few months I was
      going to become a grandmother. At first, I didn't think about it a
      lot, but I after a while, I started looking toward the children's
      clothes department when I was shopping. Several months before, I
      started squirreling away some little outfits. We knew our little
      grandbaby was going to be a girl, and there are just so many cute
      little girl clothes. They just seemed to jump in front of me at the
      store. Strange.
      Then the call came. Today was the day. Joy was laced with sadness
      that my son Andrew, in the Marines, was unable to be here for
      Aubriannah's birth. I was there when my kids were born, and it was
      something I wouldn't want to miss. But still, knowing that her
      birth was imminent, I was quite unprepared for the moment I saw
      her. I was simply stunned. There was a new life in the world. I
      had no idea how that moment would affect me. Not only had a baby
      been born, but a grandmother was born.
      I had always thought how silly my children's grandparents were.
      Talk about spoiling! But in those small seconds as I met her I
      could finally understand. Maybe part of being a grandparent is
      thinking you have a chance to make up for all the regrets you had
      with raising your own kids.
      For whatever reason, which I am still unable to completely
      understand, I was overwhelmed. Nobody warned me! I looked into her
      future and saw another kindergardener calling her names, or pulling
      her braid. I saw her fall on her bike, or having a broken heart and
      for just one second I wanted to protect that small child from ever
      feeling pain. But as quickly as I thought it, just as quickly I
      knew it was impossible. I began to see her having a friend, riding
      that bike, and maybe even baking cookies with her grandmother
      someday. Now for the first time, my kid's grandparents didn't seem
      so silly at all. In fact, I was the one who felt silly. But silly
      or no, she was here, I was a grandmother, and I do know how to bake
      cookies, so maybe that's one thing I'll get right. And, I'd wager,
      her parents are going to think I'm one of the silliest grandmother
      there ever was!

      * * *
      Another 28 quarts of tomatoes canned today, and still more
      to come. The hot summer and keeping that garden watered, really
      brought on a bumper crop. Apple trees are loaded. Those who are
      interested in canning, making pies, and jellies, or freezing are in
      bliss. Anything that can be put up at home is so much healthier.
      There are no additives or preservatives. What is in that jar you
      put there. You know there were no sprays or insecticides. Not to
      mention the savings. A quart of applesauce or tomatoes is worth $2
      each. Sure helps to stretch out the grocery budget. If you haven't
      done a garden before, you might want to plan one for next year.
      There are lots of things that are easy to grow. Ask yourself which
      ones you would use the most. Green beans are easy. Ask your local
      gardeners which ones they recommend. Start small and add one item
      each year. You might not recognize the taste, it will be so good!
      * * *

      "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and
      working together is success."~~Henry Ford

      "The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may
      also be only the beginning."~~Ivy Baker Priest

      "It is amazing what can be accomplished when nobody cares about who
      gets the credit." ~~Robert Yates
      Simple Oatmeal Apple Cookies
      3 chopped apples, peeled and cored. ¾ c marg. or butter. 1 1/2 c
      brown sugar, 1/2 t salt, 2 eggs, 1 t Cinnamon, 3 c oatmeal, 1 t
      soda, 1 1/2 c flour, 1 t vanilla. Mix and drop on cookie sheet.
      Bake 350` for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

      Still keeping it Simple,