Things you can only do in summer.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005

      Awaken to the songbirds singing in the yard. Take the kids (or
      grandkids) on a picnic to the beach and play with them in the
      water. Close all the windows in the morning just to keep the cool
      morning air in the house on a warm day. Sit out in the swing
      reading a good book. Enjoy the work you've just put into making a
      new flowerbed. Watch the daylilies open, and smell their fragrance
      drifting in the air. Take a hike through the woods and see how many
      baby animals you can see. Walk barefoot on a beach. Go for a
      Ferris Wheel ride. Visit to an outdoor concert. Sit on a riverbank
      with a fishing line in the water. Sleep in the front porch with all
      the windows open. Hang the clothes outdoors on the line. Pick a
      cherry tomato fresh from the vine and eat it right in the garden.
      Plant anything new in the garden. Reach under a potato plant and
      steal a few new potatoes and put the dirt right back so the small
      potatoes can keep growing. Thank the good Lord for everything green!

      * * *

      "It is up to us to live up to the legacy that was left for us, and
      to leave a legacy that is worthy of our children and of future
      generations." ~~Christine Gregoire
      * * *

      A professor asked his class one day if God created everything that
      exists. Then he challenged the class, "did God create evil?" That
      seemed to have stumped the class. The professor, quite pleased with
      himself, boasted to the students that he had proved once more that
      the Christian faith was a myth.
      Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you question
      professor?"
      "Of course", replied the professor.
      The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"
      "Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"
      The students snickered at the young man's question.
      The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist.
      According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in
      reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to
      study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body
      or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460? F) is the
      total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of
      reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created
      this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."
      The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"
      The professor responded, "Of course it does."
      The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does
      not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light
      we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to
      break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths
      of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light
      can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you
      know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light
      present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to
      describe what happens when there is no light present."
      Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"
      Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already
      said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's
      inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence
      everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but
      evil.
      To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at
      least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of
      God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created
      to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the
      result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in
      his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or
      the darkness ...that comes when there is no light."
      The young man's name? Albert Einstein.

      Simple Sweet Corn in Winter

      Anytime now, our sweet corn will be coming on, tasting better than
      anything we've ever tasted. Here's an easy freezer recipe that has
      well served 3 generations. Like keeping a taste of summer in the
      freezer – just the thing for the middle of winter!

      15 c. sweet corn (cut off the cob)
      2/3 c. sugar
      1/4 c. salt
      4 c. ice water

      Combine in a large pan and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
      Spoon into one-quart freezer bags and freeze flat.

      Fill each bag about half full. Then flatten them and stack in a cake
      pan before putting in the freezer. It doesn't take very long for
      them to be frozen enough to be
      removed from the cake pan and stacked in my baskets in the freezer.

      260 ears of corn will make about 60 quart bags. I suggest you cut
      the corn off out doors on a table, since the corn can spray
      everywhere. Stand the corn in an angel food cake pan to cut, or
      pound a nail through the bottom of a wooden cutting board to skewer
      your ear onto. If you want to blanch your corn first (not mentioned
      in the recipe), blanch in boiling water and cool in ice water
      first. You might want to try it both ways and see which you like
      best.