Finding Summer!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005

      ~~~The location of paradise has far more to do with the person than
      the place.~~~
      * * *

      Even though summer has been here for a while, its easy not to
      notice. Sure we notice its too hot, or raining, but sometimes we
      hardly notice summer has actually arrived. We just go from season
      to season without much notice. One day we are hauling in firewood,
      the next it seems we are planting seeds in the still-cool garden,
      but we haven't really noticed the change. Is it because we have
      seem them come and go so many times we take them for granted???…
      You Haven't Noticed Summer Yet if…

      1.The air-conditioner is so loud you can't hear the birds singing
      early in the morning from your bedroom window.

      2.You haven't noticed a hummingbird fly because you are eating
      breakfast inside and not on the deck.

      3.You haven't helped one of the kids (or grandkids) find a stick for
      roasting a marshmallow on. (Speaking of marshmallows, have you made
      your first S'more yet, with a creamy light brown marshmallow melting
      the chocolate Hershey bar into the graham cracker?)

      4.You haven't stood outdoors with a grandchild – braving the
      Michigan Bird (mosquitoes)– long enough to watch the first stars
      come out and listen to them say – "Look! There's another one!"

      5.You haven't woke up with a slight little kink in your back from
      sleeping in the tent and been glad you did.

      6.You haven't been delighted to discover some baby Foxglove
      seedlings peeking out from behind the fading Forget-me-nots in the
      garden.

      7.You haven't gone for a swim in the local pond, or even stuck in
      your big toe yet!

      8.You haven't bent to pick a wild strawberry from the field and let
      the wild-berry taste remind you of the strawberries you used to find
      when you were a kid.

      9.You are still eating meals in the kitchen because its too much
      work to carry everything outside or take the picnic to the park.
      What's on your list for summer? Have you noticed? It's here !!!

      ~~~ Simple Book Wisdom ~~~

      "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on
      Treasure Island . . . and best of all, you can enjoy these riches
      every day of your life." ~~Walt Disney
      "These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on
      the shelves." ~~Gilbert Highet

      Peaches 'n Cream Dessert

      3/4 c flour
      1 t baking powder
      1 pkg. vanilla pudding mix (small)
      1/2 t salt
      3 T butter or margarine
      * 1/2 c milk
      * 1 egg
      * 1 can (20-oz) peaches; drained, reserve juice
      * 1 pkg. (8-oz) cream cheese
      * 1/2 c sugar
      * 3 T reserved peach juice
      * 1 T sugar

      Combine flour, baking powder, vanilla pudding, salt, butter, milk
      and egg in a bowl; beat 2 minutes. Pour into greased pie plate.

      Drain the peaches, saving the juice. Mix together the cream cheese,
      ½ cup sugar, and the peach juice. Spread the peaches in pie plate.
      Spread cream cheese mixture over peaches within 1 inch of edge.

      Mix 1-Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over pie
      top. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Serves
      6.

      "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it
      connected, in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil
      government with the principles of Christianity." ~~ John Quincy Adams

      ~~Simple Gardening ~~
      Instead of buying expensive plants next year, try starting them
      from seed – right now! Many of the expensive perennials that you
      might buy someone else started from seed for merely pennies and sold
      it to you for many times what they have invested. It's not hard to
      start plants from seed. Here's how I do it.
      Pick a container – doesn't need to be anything special. It can
      be plant trays you bought your plants in, paper cups, or about
      anything that has drain holes in the bottom. Fill with potting
      soil. I use potting soil mixed with peat moss. Wet soil well. Do
      this first. Some potting soils are resistant to moisture and take
      some mixing. Plant your seed. If they are very tiny, you don't
      need to cover them. Keep moist until they sprout. I just leave
      them on the workbench in my potting shed. After they have sprouted
      I move them to a shady place in the garden, say under a tree, until
      I transplant them to the garden or a larger pot. Just make sure to
      not let them dry out.
      Next year you can walk past all the perennials at the garden
      center and smile smugly at all the dollars you have saved!