  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005

      "The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to
      be happy."

      Yea, yea, yea – they keep saying rain, but it was dry, dry,
      But things still are growing well in the garden. Potatoes are up
      nicely, and the corn is about 2 inches high. Can't you just
      taste some hot, dripping with butter sweet corn? Or maybe you love
      the taste of pancakes with fresh-cut corn slathered with syrup and
      melting butter. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry. Or how about some
      nice fresh-from-the-garden asparagus? Piping hot green beans, or
      melt in your mouth cherry tomatoes, fresh from the vine can make a
      meal. But which is more fun?

      Watering and weeding are thought of as chores, but its relaxing
      to be out in the garden with the hose, pulling a few weeds and
      watching corn grow. Picking is fun, because you can see the work
      you have done is bearing fruit. The eating is great, no doubt about

      Kind of like like, you reap what you sow, and you don't always
      see the results until you've put out a lot of effort.
      * * *

      Graduation is one of the hardest things a parent can live
      through. Oh, sure, we put on happy faces, and parties, and buy
      food, and spend exorbitant amounts of money on graduation
      invitations, photographs, and put even more amounts of energy into
      cleaning, and getting ready for company, but sometime, somewhere we
      all just have to sit and have a good cry over it.

      Sure we are glad our fledglings are fledging, but it's all
      those darn memories that get in the way of a really happy time. A
      stranger looks at this child and thinks "What a nice kid." We look
      at our child and see all those memories rolled into one. Happy
      times and sad, the first gleeful steps, skipping off to
      kindergarden, and the first scrapped knee, bedtime prayers, and
      worrying them through a dreaded – life-threatening illness, real or
      imagined are just some of the things we see as our child moves on
      through life.

      Those first baby cries begin the roll of the memory tape that
      no video camera can capture; each memory different as snowflakes in
      a blizzard. The good ol' days. That's how we think of them.
      Our kids have no idea. They are entering their future. They can't
      wait to spread their wings and fly, and we really are happy for
      them, but what we wouldn't give to watch that grown child be a two-
      year old discovering sand running through his chubby little fingers,
      or their first pony ride all over again. Years and years of memories
      rolled into a tape that can play in a split seconds in our mind.

      So we parents have our good cry and get it over with and put on
      our happy faces, but keep the tissue handy for a couple weeks, just
      in case. And don't worry, it's not over. Not by a long shot.
      We think it's all over, the good ol' days are past, but the real
      truth is we are heading off into a new adventure ourselves. We find
      out that while the kids are heading off to college, we had a lesson
      or two to learn ourselves. And, before we know it, the grandkids
      will be coming for a visit and a new tape begins to record. We
      barely get the tissue wrung out and we realize it wasn't the end of
      something after all, it was just the beginning of something new!

      There IS a life after kids. We were just so busy with them we
      hadn't had a chance to find out. No, don't get me wrong, we
      will miss them often, but there are so many new things to discover.
      We get a chance to be someone new. We are not just "mommy" or
      "daddy" any more – now we get to get on with being a person again –
      and finding out it ain't so bad!

      * * *
      What is Normal?

      "Normal" is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work,
      driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in
      order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the
      clothes, car and the house that you leave empty all day in order to
      afford to live in it.

      * * *

      Can't function without an extra-large mochachino every
      morning,but burning a hole in your budget? Now you can brew gourmet
      joe at home. Add two tablespoons half-and-half with one tablespoon
      chocolate syrup that's been warmed in the microwave and sprinkle
      ground cinnamon on top. Then pour it into your to-go cup of coffee
      and savor every money-saving sip!

      "Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely." --Karen Kaiser

      "The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought
      progress." --Charles F. Kettering

      Still keeping things Simple!