The Simplest Garden!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005

      The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to be
      happy.

      Memorial Day is so much more than a day off work. There is
      so much history. It certainly is a day to remember. Everyone knows
      someone who has served in the armed forces, to serve our country by
      defending our great freedom – a freedom we too often take for
      granted. Daily on the news we hear of soldiers who have lost their
      lives trying to bring safety and security to their fellow citizens.
      Many of the young soldiers have enlisted since 9-11, when our
      country was attacked by people who have never known the peace and
      freedom we enjoy.
      We are so proud of the young men and women who have risked
      their lives now and in the past. Our memories of those who did not
      return, are a great reminder of the ongoing fight to keep the
      freedom we first fought for over 200 years ago.
      Our country has had much to be ashamed of at times, with
      recent scandals on the national headlines. CEO's that can't be
      trusted, right down to the person who pushes their way through
      traffic, making a hazard for the rest of us.
      Thankfulness is an attitude. The more we remember history,
      we can't help but be better people. We don't have to be in the
      armed forces to be good citizens. Ever notice that person who
      rushes past you on the road, often is right ahead of you at the next
      stop? How far ahead do we really get by all our rushing and
      pushing? Why not let the person with only a few items go ahead in
      the check-out lane? Why not slow down enough to enjoy the scenery?
      How about slowing down enough to appreciate the real sacrifices that
      our fellow citizens have made? There are so many ways to be a good
      citizen, and being a good citizen starts at home, teaching our
      children and grandchildren to have good manners, and not always
      trying to be first.
      Maybe your family could talk about being a good citizen at
      dinnertime. Discuss ways that you see people being good citizens.
      Did you see someone motion you ahead at a stop? Did you see someone
      who was courteous? What is the reward for being a good citizen?
      How can we support our servicemen and women from home? We can start
      by keeping them in our prayers.
      Service is something we can all do, no matter where we are.

      * * *

      "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." ~~Henry
      David Thoreau

      "To work in the world lovingly means that we are defining what we
      will be for, rather than reacting to what we are against."
      ~~Christina Baldwin

      "You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways: if you let if
      consume you, you come out a cinder; but there is a kind of metal
      which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star." ~~ Jean Church

      * * *

      Simple Apple Pie Spice:
      1/4 c cinnamon
      2 t nutmeg
      1 t allspice
      1 t ground ginger

      Mix all spices together and put into an airtight container (or spice
      jar).

      Simple Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
      A nice breakfast for family and friends.

      1 1/3 lbs browned sausage - drained
      5 T chopped green onions
      8 c torn French or any bread
      2 1/2 c shredded mild cheddar cheese
      3 1/2 c skim milk
      1 2/3 c Egg Beaters egg substitute or 7 beaten eggs
      2 t prepared mustard
      1/2 t ground black pepper

      8 servings 4 hours 15 minutes 15 mins prep

      Use a 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
      Prepare it the night before and place crock-pot liner(the
      removable dish) in the refrigerator until morning.
      Let liner warm up a little before cooking. Brown sausage and green
      onions until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat. Spray liner of
      slow cooker with vegetable spray and add torn bread. Next add a
      layer of sausage and then cheese. May add a layer of hash browns. In
      a medium mixing bowl, combine milk, Egg Beaters or eggs, prepared
      mustard and pepper. Pour this over ingredients into slow cooker.
      Cook on High for 3 to 4 hours. Or on low overnight!
      * * *

      The Simplest Garden

      I recently overheard someone say that they couldn't have a
      garden, because they didn't have a tractor or rototiller. Ha! How
      untrue. You can have a simple garden, and very easily, with only a
      shovel, trowel, and a pocket or utility knife for tools! First of
      all, you can plant a great garden in a few bags of soil mix, with
      drainage holes in the bottom. You can also plant a garden with a
      large sheet of plastic (at least 4 mil)! That's right. Mow the
      grass as short as possible. Spread the area with a good layer (4 to
      12 inches) compost, or aged manure, if possible, but not entirely
      necessary. Lay down your plastic, securing the edges. Depending on
      what plants you would like to sow, now cut X's where the plants will
      go. If you were unable to spread that layer of manure or compost,
      you might be able to add a shovelful at each X. Now using your
      shovel, dig a hole twice as large as needed, and plant your plant,
      watering each hole very well before and during planting. Bring the
      plastic close around the base of the plant, and cover with more dirt
      or compost. Finish planting each of your plants, being sure to
      water each well. Now you have a perfect little garden that will
      rarely need watering or weeding!
      Who says you can't have a garden?