    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2005

      Imagine for a moment...

      Summer is almost upon us. But, before we know it, it will be
      over. Imagine for a moment what would be your favorite thing to do
      on a perfect summer day. Make a note of it. Can you do it once a
      week this summer? What about once a month?
      My husband and I found a perfect and remote sandy beach on
      one of recent trips. It's a hike to get there, but not many people
      would bother hiking nearly 2 miles to spend a few hours on a beach,
      no matter how beautiful. We plan to visit it this summer,
      hopefully more than once. It would be easy to reach September and
      miss it, though. There are so many other things that could stand in
      the way. We might work on the garden, or be too busy working.
      Often, families don't take time off to play. We set
      impossibly high standards and race around to try to meet them.
      Before it's here, maybe your family can set down together and make a
      list of what is their best idea for their perfect summer day. How
      about spending a day canoeing? Or a week camping? How about a
      fishing trip to your favorite spot? Maybe just a day in a hammock
      with a good book or a game of golf with your son. What ever your
      flavor – it's more than Baskin Robbins when it comes to summer. No
      one has a job so important you can't take the weekends off to play,
      or if you work on weekends, enjoy the weekdays off. However you do
      it, spend your summer days as if there were no tomorrow.

      "We all need encouragement. We can live without it just as a
      young tree can live without fertilizer, but unless we receive that
      warm nurturing, we never reach our full potential, and like the tree
      left to itself, we seldom bear fruit." ~~Florence Littauer

      "Neglect not the gift that is in thee." ~~ 1 Timothy 4:14

      "The secret of a happy and successful life is to be
      content with the abilities God gave and discontented with the use
      you make of them." ~~ Burton Hillis

      * * *

      Simple Coconut Cream Pie
      3 packages vanilla pudding mix (9 oz.)
      5 oz cool whip
      4 1/2 c milk
      1 1/2 c coconut
      1/2 c toasted coconut
      2 baked pie shells

      Mix first 4 items. Pour in baked pie shells and top with toasted
      coconut. Chill.
      Makes 2 pies.

      Simple Pizza Sauce
      1 8 oz c Tomato Sauce
      1 t Dry Oregano
      1/2 t Marjoram
      1/2 t Dry Basil
      1/2 t Garlic salt
      1 t dried onion
      * * *
      Container Gardening Tips

      Plants in containers need fertilizer regularly. Since they
      are not in soil, they need feeding even more. They also tend to try
      out faster, so often need watering once or twice daily, especially
      in full sun. Light colored containers dry out slower than dark
      containers that draw heat. Also, reduce watering by mulching
      plants. Make sure when watering that you completely saturate
      plants. Container soil is actually resistant to water, so it needs
      a good soaking, regularly.
      Rotate plants by turning containers to give plants even
      sun/shade. Bring plants back to full bloom by trimming long droopy
      stems, and deadheading spent blooms. If plants are allowed to go to
      seed, it tells the plant to stop producing flowers. There are some
      new hybrids that do not need deadheading, such as wave petunia.
      Reduce costs of plants by starting with just a couple plants
      and starting some plants by seed. Once the seed get sprouted and
      up, add more plants on your porch and deck when they are ready.
      Keep shade annuals, such as Lobelia with other shade
      annuals. Don't' mix with annuals such as petunias that need full
      sun because their needs are so different.
      In case of mistakes, keep a few extra annuals handy to
      replace any plants that might get too dried out. Put dried out
      plants with any life left in the ground, trim off all dead growth,
      and keep well watered until it perks up again.

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005

        "The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to
        be
        happy."

        There was nothing simple about the terrible hurricane that
        shattered the lives of probably millions of people on the gulf coast
        of our country. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have
        lost loved ones, homes, and most everything but the clothes on their
        backs. Most of us have never known such tragedy. Most of us have
        never gone without a drink of water for more than a few minutes when
        we needed one, let alone several days. We pray that their throats
        will be quenched, and their tummies filled. That their needs of all
        kinds will be met. Many may never see their old neighborhoods
        again, nor their way of life.
        I can not imagine if in one day every single thing that I'd
        spent my life working for simply disappeared.
        I was so happy to see the local Walmart parking lot and the
        volunteers this past week, who worked to fill the semi-trucks to
        take food and supplies to the refuges in the south. In one day, not
        one, but three trucks were filled. Parents volunteered while their
        children watched, and learned to have a heart of compassion. That
        is how our children learn.
        Our country came together during 9-11, and we will do it again.
        I'm
        not so sure that rebuilding a city that is below sea level is a good
        idea, and I'd vote to move it, myself. But to where do you move
        city? For now, we just need to focus on bringing some security and
        peace to so many lives that have been turned upside down. But what
        we can be thankful for, is that even in tragedy, good things can
        happen and the compassion of humans can warm our hearts, and God
        will show us his goodness in many ways. Maybe our true thankfulness
        is what bubbles out in helpfulness to others. Isn't it amazing
        how
        other's trouble helps us notice how much we have to be thankful
        for?
        * * *

        "The world needs all the help you can give by way of cheerful,
        optimistic, inspiring thought and personal example." ~~Grenville
        Kleiser

        "The small choices and decisions we make a hundred times a day
        add
        up to determining the kind of world we live in." ~~Harold S.
        Kushner

        * * *

        Simple Macaroni and Three Cheese Casserole

        Ingredients:

        2 Cups Elbow Macaroni; cooked al dente
        ¾ Cup Parmesan Cheese
        ¾ Cup Asiago Cheese
        ¾ Cup Mozzarella Cheese

        2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
        2 Tbs. Flour
        3 Cups Heavy Cream (or)
        Evaporated Skim Milk
        Salt and Pepper to taste
        ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
        2 Tbs. Melted Butter

        Directions:

        1. Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside 2. Using a
        medium saucepan,
        melt the butter and combine with the flour and stir until a thick
        roux develops. Now add the cream and stir well to combine and make
        sure there are no lumps. Add the cheese and stir continuously so the
        cheese is well incorporated. Add the macaroni and mix well. Season
        to taste. 3. Spray a 9x13 oven safe pan with pan release and add the
        macaroni, top with the bread crumbs mixed with the 2 TBLS. Melted
        butter and place into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for about
        15-20 minutes.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 9, 2006

          Home Simple Home

          "A happy person can be happy just about anywhere. An unhappy person will be happy nowhere."

          I love the "Shabby Chic" look. In fact, most people don't know this, but I invented it -except I used to call it early Goodwill. It fits right in with my decorating sense of style, or lack thereof. My motto is, if it's comfy, it fits. Several old family treasures are among my non-part-with- ables. I have a lovely old yellow coffee pot in my living room. It sits perched atop a faded old white chair. Its lid has fallen open, and it has bright sunny sunflowers springing out the top. I don't care what time of year, it cheers me up. I only hide it for a few days at Christmas time. Our furniture matches reasonably well, but it's comfortable – the main consideration.

          There are several fleece blankets around for chilly evenings. There are lots of bookcases, for the books we both love. Our woodstove, an old early 1900's Round Oak, from Dowagiac MI, needs a new coat of stove black, but she doesn't complain. Just keeps happily warming us. She sets on the tile hearth next to the chimney patiently waiting all summer for the first fire of the fall. Richard and I have burned wood for years and wouldn't know what to do if we didn't. With all the logging in our area, finding wood to burn has never been a problem. We enjoy several trips to the woods each year, and we don't burn more than 6-10 cords of firewood in a winter, anyway. I keep a small humidifier going in the winter to combat the dry air. And, there's a pan of water on top of the woodstove, as well. Once in a while, there is a pot of soup there, instead.

          Blue is my favorite color, and once in a while I try another color, but if it's not some form of blue, it usually migrates back to blue. In the kitchen, I'd found a wallpaper border that featured old seed packets. I was given a set of green dishes for Christmas, so green was the color for a while.

          After a while it was time for a change. When I found a blue and white tiffany-type lamp shade at a yard sale the color came back to blue. I find that just one item of color can set the stage for the whole room. I have several sets of curtains, all with blue, that I change of through the year. Usually. Last year a friend teased me that I still had my snow men curtains up in June. Oops! A little past time to change them. This year I better try to get them changed by March so she won't notice. I had a little blue on my front porch/summer sleeping room. Then at an antique shop I found a bright blue coverlet for $10. That was one time I couldn't say no. And I'm glad I didn't. The coverlet graces the pure-white comforter at the bottom of the bed in cool tones that take at least 10 degrees out of a hot summer day. In fact the west-side-facing front porch is shaded all day, so even on hot days, it stays cool. Since the breeze is nearly always from the west opening the windows in the evening makes a great place to sleep, and reminds me of sleeping on my grandparents front porch at the lake when I was a kid.

          My back deck and 2 garden sheds are barnwood paneled. Old enamelware pans and washbasins (mostly blue, white, or gray) hang here and there, and mostly for the color. One old washbasin I found at a North Carolina flea market for $4. You can find a bargain anywhere.

          Yard and resale shopping is one of my favorite activities. But I often go home empty handed when I can't find anything just right. You can have way too much stuff, and when I feel overloaded, it's time to start packing boxes for a yard sale. I made a new friend at work this year, who has a yard sale on a main highway at her home every summer. She invited me to bring some things to the yard sale. We donated most of whatever was left afterwards. It's a great way to make a few extra bucks and downsize at the same time. I really don't know how people can spend tons of money "redecorating". Sometimes it might take a year or two to find that "just right" something. I have so much fun seeking out special items for next to nothing, just buying new things wouldn't be any fun at all!

          * * *

          "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." ~~Leonardo da Vinci

          "Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." ~~George Iles

          "All I know is that when I pray, coincidences happen; and when I don't pray, they don't happen." ~~ Dan Hayes

          Simple Coconut Mounds (I can remember making these with a girlfriend when I was a kid!)

          3/4 cup mashed potatoes

          1 pound powdered sugar

          1 pound macaroon coconut

          1/2 tsp. almond extract

          Combine all ingredients. Roll into balls using powdered sugar to roll. Chill in refrigerator for one hour. Dip in melted chocolate chips or chocolate bark.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 16, 2006

              At home, the simpler things are, the better.

              * * *
              Coming home from work the other afternoon, I got behind a
              car with several bumperstickers. Of course, I had to read them. I
              don't know where you buy bumperstickers like these, but they were
              not meant for car bumpers, nor were they meant for anywhere, as far
              as I was concerned. I know this is America. We do have the right to
              put just about any bumpersticker on our vehicle – yes, that's our
              right. But if we put obscene bumperstickers on our cars or where
              ever we so choose, it makes me think that we are only shooting
              ourselves in the foot. Why would we want to?
              I know that our forefathers didn't know they were fighting
              to give breath to a country that would one day make the likes of
              Howard Stern a multi-millionaire. They may have thought again.
              When we listen to trash like that, or any trash of any kind, we vote
              against our families, everything we hold dear, our country.
              I know whoever was driving the car in front of me, would
              only laugh had I had a chance to discuss the issue with them. I
              assume they realize that anyone from reading age on up could read
              their rear view billboard, and I would also assume that they don't
              care who reads it. That's too bad. But I know there are people in
              the world who just don't care. They don't appreciate the good
              things in life. Or maybe they resent the fact that life wasn't
              perfect for them. Maybe they never had a daddy who held them on
              their shoulders at a Veteran's Parade. Or maybe they never got to
              take swimming lessons, or spend the night at a friends. But I guess
              I know something they don't.
              Life is what you make it. You might not get to pick your
              family, but once you leave home, you are all on your own. You can
              put yourself through college. You can work at a grocery store. You
              can buy a house, or live in a box. It's all up to you. Or, you can
              throw it away.
              When I was a kid in Jr. High, my principals son Alex was
              around after school once in a while. He was good looking, and a
              great athlete. Scholarship material. Great home on the lake, great
              parents who would give him anything. Al decided it wasn't enough.
              He overdosed. Probably still in a hospital today. Wish I could give
              him another chance. One choice.
              You can be the dad who gives his kid a piggyback ride at a
              parade, or a mom who takes her kids to swimming lessons. No
              excuses. This is America. And once you figure that out, you can
              stop feeling sorry for yourself and take those obscene
              bumperstickers off your car bumper and replace them with something
              nice like, "America the Beautiful", because it is.

              * * *

              Simple Melt in Your Mouth Chicken
              ( I made this the other day. It's like chicken potpie, only very
              easy. If you have the chicken made ahead of time, it's even
              easier. You could also use leftover turkey.)

              1- 3lb. chicken (boil until tender or use leftovers)
              1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
              2 cups chicken broth (I used the water the chicken cooked in)
              1 stick melted margarine
              1 c buttermilk
              1 c self rising flour
              1 t salt
              1/2 t pepper

              Cube chicken and place in greased casserole dish. Combine the soup
              and the chicken broth and pour over chicken.
              Combine margarine, buttermilk, flour, salt and pepper and pour over
              above to make crust. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
              * * *

              "I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine"…
              Ephesians 3:20

              Five thousand breathless dawns all new;
              One million flowers fresh in dew.
              Five thousand sunsets wrapped in gold;
              One million snowflakes served ice cold.
              Five quiet friends, one baby's love;
              One white sea of clouds above.
              One June night in a fragrant wood;
              One heart that loved and understood.
              I wondered when I waked that day -
              In God's name - how could I ever pay?
              ~~Courtland Sayers

              "If the only prayer you say in your whole life is 'thank you,' that
              would suffice." ~~Meister Eckhart

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 24, 2006

                "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as
                two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand. Simplify, simplify."
                ~~Henry David Thoreau

                It happened innocently enough. It was right after Christmas
                and I was just looking for an easy read. The magazine rack looked
                pretty tame. But it wasn't. Lurking behind the Reader's Digest,
                and right there in front of Martha Stewart – it didn't just catch my
                eye, it tugged. There was no way I could have missed it – the first
                brand new gardening magazine of the year. The bright shiny cover
                blazing with bright and sunny flowers. Wait a minute, my brain
                protested. Here in Michigan it's still the middle of winter! We
                have snow and ice and are lucky to see the sun peak out. We are
                still dealing with salted walkways and black ice. Anger was icing
                my brain cells. I had to look away. It was like looking at the sun
                for too long. But I couldn't get away. There was another! I
                looked the other direction – another!
                I had not gone to the garden section of my favorite Barnes
                and Nobles for that very reason. Too early to think spring. But
                no. Here in a local grocery store where I should have been safe.
                But too late.
                I couldn't help it, really. I picked one up. I took a deep
                breath and plunged into it. Pages and pages of flowers, vegetables –
                and ugh! – landscaping! I thought I could put it down, but I
                couldn't. I kept peeking. Several pages caught my eye. Images
                seared onto my brain of green grass, and daylilies in full bloom.
                Now what was I to do? Go home and grab a shovel? Walk
                through my back yard of the new 10 inches of the white stuff
                sniffing for rose blooms? Nothing irritates me more than being
                tempted with something I can't have, for months.
                We are months away from planting. Not days but months from
                turning the soil and more months from plucking a ripe cherry tomato
                from the vine. Our perennials are safely tucked away under the
                snow. It's too early to even pull out the seed packets for the
                windowsill.
                But though the snow drifts and the wind howls outside, the
                sun will shine again. We will come out of our igloos and one day
                again we will wiggle our toes in the dirt and find that first
                zucchini. At least I have plenty of time to plan my garden. But I
                will stay away from the magazine racks for a couple weeks. If I can…
                * * *

                "Learn to laugh at your troubles and you'll never run out of
                things to laugh at." ~~Lyn Karol

                God shapes the world by prayer. The more praying there is in
                the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces
                against evil." ~~E.M.Bounds
                "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know:
                the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have
                sought and found how to serve." ~~ Albert Schweitzer
                * * *
                We often have fund-raisers where different employees bring in crock
                pots of soup, dessert, etc. and the money donated goes to a needy
                family or other community cause. A friend at work made this beer-
                batter bread to go with some soup. It's very easy, no kneading!
                Great for when you don't have much time. Experiment with garlic or
                other spices. Makes great toast and a nice pot of chili or soup.
                Simple Beer Batter Bread

                3 cups self rising flour
                3 Tablespoons sugar
                12 oz. room temp beer

                Mix all together and pour into a regular bread pan..Bake 350 about
                30 minutes or until lighly browned on top....Remove when cool enough
                to handle and place on rack. Makes one loaf.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 31, 2006

                  "Simple living is being the same person on the outside as the
                  inside."

                  I was waiting in line at a store yesterday when a woman in
                  front of me caught my attention. Just minding my own business,
                  thinking of spring, maybe getting some seedlings started on a
                  windowsill, when my pleasant thoughts were so rudely interrupted by
                  a woman whose mouth just wouldn't quit. The man she was with I
                  assumed was her husband. I felt sorry for him. She began complaining
                  about the poor service she claimed she received at this business.
                  It all went downhill from there. The cashier suggested she move to
                  an empty nearby line if she didn't want to wait. She didn't want to
                  walk that far, and made it perfectly clear. There was no person
                  within earshot who wasn't disturbed by the debilitating drivel that
                  dripped from her mouth. I wanted to get as far from her as I
                  could. The cashier remained professionally cool as she patiently
                  waited on her customer and then the complaining woman.
                  If the service was so terrible, why was the woman here, I
                  wondered. No one else was complaining. I think some people just
                  enjoy going through life whining. Maybe they like listening to
                  their own voice. Or maybe they don't care what kind of attention
                  they get as long as it's attention. I also know everyone was very
                  relieved when she was gone. It was as if the sun came out. Not a
                  pleasant experience, but a learning experience.
                  I can go through life being a bright spot in someone's day,
                  or an angry cloud. We all have things we can complain about. But
                  why be in a hurry?
                  I don't really like driving on bad roads, but when I slow down to a
                  safe speed, turn on a nice radio station, and watch the pretty
                  scenery of winter, I can still enjoy my drive. Most of life is all
                  about attitude. Most of my time waiting in line, I can find
                  something to talk about with even strangers, and often do. Maybe
                  there is a baby to smile with, or an older person who shares a piece
                  of their life with me. Before long I'm walking to my car feeling as
                  if I'd made a new friend. I always tell the clerk I'm not in a
                  hurry. I'm not. Life is too short. Why am I here for this moment
                  in time? I can try to brighten someone's day in a minute or less.
                  It takes no talent or special skill except for a smile!
                  * * *
                  "Joy is to feel the doors of the self fly open into a wealth that is
                  endless because none of it is ours and yet it all belongs to us."
                  ~~William Sloane Coffin

                  "As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding,
                  mistrust and hostility to evaporate." ~~ writes Albert Schweitzer

                  * * *
                  Simple Dinner Idea

                  How would you like to have dinner delivered to your door several
                  nights a week, without hiring a cook or paying for delivery fees?
                  It will even save money? Four families with a small amount of
                  cooking talent can easily do this.
                  You each take one night a week to prepare a meal, but you make
                  enough for four families. You can do easy meals like a large pot of
                  chili or potato soup. Baked spaghetti, or other casserole. Add a
                  salad vegetable, and or bread. One night a week you make the
                  delivery just before the dinner hour and return home to your own
                  dinner. The other three nights you just stay home while dinner is
                  delivered. Get together with a couple other families and decide how
                  you'd like to do it. Maybe you only do Wednesdays. Maybe you take
                  turns hosting a family night at your house on Fridays. Maybe you
                  are a bunch of single parents who also share childcare. However it
                  works for you, it just takes a little ingenuity. It may sizzle out
                  after a while, but that's okay. You will probably have to adjust it
                  occasionally with schedule changes. That's okay too. Try it for a
                  month and then have another meeting to discuss changes. It just
                  might work for you!
                  * * *
                  Simple Sausage Lentil Soup

                  The spices for this soup can be easily adjusted, as well as the
                  sodium. Using different flavors of sausage can also vary the amount
                  of spice needed.
                  This soup is great with bread and salad!

                  Ingredients: 1 16-oz. pkg. dry lentils, 1 lb. sweet Italian
                  sausage,1 large yellow onion (chopped), 2 garlic cloves (minced), 3
                  celery stalks (chopped), 1 lb. carrots (sliced into small pieces),
                  6 cups chicken broth (or water with enough bouillon cubes to season
                  to taste), Salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and basil to taste, Freshly
                  grated parmesan cheese to garnish

                  Directions: Rinse lentils according to package instructions.
                  Brown sausage in a large soup pot and drain well. Add onion, garlic
                  and celery. Cook until onion is tender. Add all other ingredients,
                  except cheese. Cook until lentils are tender, approximately 30 to
                  40 minutes.
                  Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
                    "Being content where you are is the center of Simple living"

                    I really want to play the guitar better. I love going to
                    the Dulcimer Festival, and enjoy the music. I even have a fiddle
                    that I haven't played in a couple years. I love gardening, and
                    sewing, and cooking. I also love playing golf, etc. etc. There are
                    some important things that take time, but sometimes they get left
                    out. I have several priorities. But sometimes I just end up
                    reading a book, going for a walk, or doing something that isn't all
                    that important. What about volunteer time, or family time, or time
                    for my faith? I have to be sure that isn't on the back burner.
                    Whew! Do you see what I see? When I do have a day off, how do I
                    spend those precious hours? Way too many hobbies, and only so many
                    hours in a day.
                    Maybe this year it's time to prioritize my priorities! I
                    know exactly what I should be doing. I am committing myself to that
                    end. What about you? Do you know what your priorities are? What
                    can you do to make it happen? If you have kids, that is your
                    priority right now. You can't do it all. Do everything you can to
                    make your time with your family your priority. After that, it's up
                    to you. Don't waste it on stuff that doesn't really matter. It can
                    all seem important. It isn't. Make a list and number them. If
                    it's not near the top, lose it. Maybe not forever, but just for
                    this year. Work on one or two important priorities. Think about
                    it, study it. Get good at it. Now you can see what happens. Don't
                    let the unimportant things block your path to the more important
                    things.
                    * * *
                    "If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy
                    expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your
                    goal." ~~ Norman Vincent Peale
                    * * *
                    Working in a local retail store, I can see what a difference
                    it makes to keep your receipts. It's not that hard to put them in
                    an envelope, shoe box, or file folder when you get home and empty
                    your pockets. You might have a place in your purse or glove box.
                    Many nurseries guarantee plants for a year. You don't have to keep
                    all your grocery receipts, unless you want to keep them for only a
                    month, or so. You could even have several large envelopes, one for
                    clothing, one for tools, and kitchen tools, or furniture, or even
                    home improvement. Some stores will take back items without a
                    receipt, but only at the clearance price. Most stores will give
                    full credit if there is a receipt that is less than 3 months old.
                    It's your money! If you buy extra supplies for remodeling, take
                    back the excess immediately. If a product goes out of date, such as
                    a style of lamp, or furniture, and many more, once it is clearanced,
                    you cannot get credit for it. Put it immediately in the front seat
                    of your car to return at the next time you get near that store.
                    * * *
                    Produce----Yield
                    Here are some amounts for some common produce items! Copy this
                    and keep with your recipes.
                    Produce Yields
                    1 medium onion 1/2 to 2/3 cups chopped
                    1 medium pepper 3/4 to 1 cup chopped
                    1 medium cucumber 1-1/2 cups sliced or chopped
                    1 medium apple 3/4 cup diced, or 1 cup
                    chopped or sliced
                    3 medium apples 1 pound
                    1 medium potato 1 cup cubed, or 1/2 cup
                    mashed
                    3 medium potatoes 1 pound
                    3 medium carrots 1-1/2 cups diced or sliced
                    1 medium head leaf lettuce 4 to 6 cups torn up
                    1 pound broccoli 3-1/2 cups florets
                    1 pound green beans 4 cups trimmed

                    Simple Cleaning: It doesn't take special sprays or formulas to get
                    the sticky gunk off the counter, stove, dishes, etc. Just letting it
                    soak with water is all it takes most of the time. Dishes soak for 15
                    minutes before scrubbing. If the stove or counter has hard gook on
                    it, I spray it down generously with water, and let it sit for a
                    couple of minutes or cover with a warm and wet dishcloth. If it
                    doesn't come off right away, I just spray it again, or let it sit
                    longer. If you are worried about germs, use very salty water. Put as
                    much salt in the water as will dissolve. The salt kills the germs. A
                    doctor who volunteered in third world countries told this. That's
                    what they use to kill viruses and germs in the hospital. It's easy
                    to keep a spray bottle under the sink!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6, 2006

                      A Simple Faith

                      A writer is always on the lookout for interesting insight into
                      things that happen in life. Whether it's for an article, or a
                      novel, there is great material all around us.

                      A couple weeks ago, a friend was telling me that he had a
                      great professor in college. The professor had explained to the class
                      that religions were just invented in ancient days by people who needed
                      to somehow understand the meaning of life. They used religion to
                      explain great tragedies such as earthquakes or floods. I was rather
                      dumbfounded, but there wasn't time to ask any questions.

                      A week or so later, this same friend saw me using a red pen.
                      A simple little red pen, which had just happened to be available at the
                      time I needed a pen. "Red! Why are you using a red pen!
                      That's not good Karma! It's bad luck," he said.

                      I laughed. "It's just a red pen. I don't believe
                      in Karma anyway," I said. He handed me a black pen. "Here, use
                      this."

                      Right then and there, I knew I had my weekly column all
                      wrapped up. It's true that everyone needs something to believe in.
                      His professor was right about that. What happens when an atheist falls
                      overboard in the middle of the ocean? He screams, "Oh God!, O
                      God!" If given the chance we will all turn to God in the end. But
                      why wait until the end?

                      It's been said that anyone who had seen a baby, knows that
                      God exists. Having seen my own babies, as well as my granddaughter, I
                      have no doubt. All babies are miracles. Who could believe different?
                      Miracles don't just happen. There was no "Big Bang" that
                      happened billions of years ago, that "evolved" into man.

                      It amazes me that we can go through life and chose not to
                      believe in the God who gave us our very breath. We go through day after
                      day and don't seem to care that the creator of the world is waiting
                      to help us through each of those days.

                      Ever watch a three year old getting dressed? You are in a
                      hurry to get to an appointment, but when you try to help them, "I do
                      it myself!" they demand as they put their arm in the wrong side of
                      the shirt. We are not unlike that child. We demand from the
                      air-craft-controller of the universe, "I can do it myself!" We
                      hang on to our crutches and excuses, arrogantly believing that we know
                      better. We could ask for simple guidance through our day, but would
                      rather stick to our stubborn independence. We wander around in the
                      deserts of our lives with the oasis just over the next dune. But we
                      can't see it because we don't ask for directions.

                      Everything that happens to us screams, "I am here! Call
                      on me! I want to help you!" But when do we pull out our "Get
                      out of jail free" card? We usually wait until it's a last
                      resort. We wait until a loved one has cancer, or we get a flat on the
                      way to an important job interview.

                      Many people believe that God is love, so everyone will be in
                      heaven. Can't possibly be true. Why? Because of free choice. We
                      choose to be kind, or hateful, or be a bank robber or a teacher. No
                      matter what we believe or don't believe, it takes faith. It takes
                      faith to be an atheist. It takes faith to believe the teachings of a
                      charismatic professor. It takes faith to think, "I'll deal with
                      this when I'm old."

                      But no matter. God is patient. He will wait as long as it
                      takes. Now or later. And sometimes, never. He just wants to hear
                      those two little words, "I believe." Now how hard is that?

                      * * *
                      Simple Home Fries:4 large Potatoes -- scrubbed1/3 cup
                      Vegetable Oil1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt1/8
                      teaspoon Black PepperSauce:1/2 cup Miracle Whip®1/2 cup Catsup
                      Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a large baking sheet, pour oil onto
                      baking sheet and spread to completely cover. Sprinkle all seasonings
                      evenly over oiled surface, then set aside. Using a large knife, or a
                      decorative slicer, slice each potato into long strips, about 1/2" x 1" x
                      4". Lay strips on oiled baking sheet, turning each one to coat with
                      spiced oil. When all potatoes have been prepared on baking sheet, bake
                      for 20 - 25 minutes, or until fries are beginning to turn golden on
                      edges. Serve hot as a side dish with the sauce.

                      * * *

                      Simple Cider Cure

                      A man had a serious problem with heartburn for the last three years.
                      They were purchasing Pepcid Complete once every other week at around $17
                      a bottle. He got a tip from a relative of taking a tablespoon of Apple
                      Cider vinegar at night before bed or before any spicy meal. It's hard
                      going down but does the job wonderfully. Since starting this, he has not
                      had one episode of heartburn and the $2.49 bottle of cider (which lasts
                      a lot longer than two weeks) is much cheaper than the $17 we were
                      spending.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 14, 2006
                        Spring is on the Way!

                        It may be snowing outside right now (yes, it is!)
                        here in lovely `ol Michigan, but spring is in the air. Richard, (my
                        husband) saw 9 robins in the yard yesterday. I'm pretty sure they
                        are hiding today, but in a couple days, they will be back, pulling
                        the worms from the yard. We've seen cranes, already, in fact, the
                        whole bird population seems to be exploding.
                        Bird watching is a great family entertainment that
                        is not costly. Taking a walk in the woods where ever you are, is
                        cheap, especially when you pack a lunch. The exercise is a fringe
                        benefit.
                        Keep a calendar. It doesn't matter which year. If you
                        see a bald eagle, or another rare sight, jot it down. Maybe you see
                        a bird really early in the spring one year. Or you visit the beach
                        and see another kind of bird for the first time. It can be quite a
                        fun hobby for the whole family. You can also take some photos and
                        keep them in an album. Whatever your hobby, your family can think
                        up great ways to enjoy it together. Do it on a regular basis. There
                        are all kinds of new things to notice with each season, as well.
                        The internet has also opened a great new world of exploration. When
                        you see a new bird, for example, you can find perhaps thousands of
                        articles of information on the subject.
                        I recently met someone who told me about being a naturalist.
                        I really didn't know what a naturalist was, but he learned it from
                        his own father. He and his family spend time each month noticing
                        nature, and documenting sightings of different kinds of plants
                        animals, and even bugs! It's definitely not expensive, but what a
                        great way to spend time as a family.

                        * * *
                        Simple Gardening
                        Did you know that for the most part, soil test kits are really not
                        necessary? After all these years "experts" admit that most soil, on
                        any given property is "average". Something most of us amateur
                        gardeners suspected all along. Most soils need amendments. Good
                        old fertilizers, such as manure, or green manure. If you know a
                        farmer, or someone who raises rabbits or has horses, manure won't be
                        too expensive, maybe free. Or, you might want to raise chickens or
                        rabbits on your own.
                        Composted manures are better since the weeds seeds have
                        been destroyed by the heating process in the composting. So if you
                        have sand, clay, or good ol' loam, you can all benefit from some
                        good ol' fertilizers. And whether you have sand or clay, you both
                        need the structure. Sand drains too well, so needs other materials
                        such as chopped lawn clippings, manures, chopped straw, chopped
                        leaves, or worked in green crops, to help keep moisture in the
                        soil. Clay soils need the same added structures to help it drain.
                        If you have very fertile soil, you don't want to add too much
                        nitrogen, however, to garden plants or flowers, because nitrogen
                        encourages "green" growth instead of flower and fruit growth. If
                        your land hasn't been chemically fertilized in a while, you may
                        qualify as "organic", which is really important lately with all the
                        new information about chemicals that we have been finding out. No
                        one really know the effect some chemicals could have on us, so
                        staying natural is important. If you sell your produce at all, being
                        organic is a really good thing.
                        So save the money from your test kit and just add some
                        simple compost.
                        * * *
                        "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right
                        thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing
                        you can do is nothing."~~ Theodore Roosevelt

                        "Every new opinion, at its starting, is precisely in a minority of
                        one." ~~ Thomas Carlyle

                        * * *
                        Sugar Cookies
                        1 stick oleo 1/2 t soda
                        1 stick butter 2 1/2 c flour
                        1 1/4 c sugar 1 t vanilla
                        1 egg

                        mix ingredients as listed. Form into balls. Roll in sugar and
                        flatten with fork. Bake @375` about 8-10 minutes until just lightly
                        turning brown. Remove immediately from pan.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 21, 2006
                          "When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or
                          compete, everybody will respect you." ~~ Lao-Tzu

                          Finding peace in your life is all about the simple life. I
                          have to laugh at some of the incongruous ways that people try to
                          make a living. There are some pretty stupid criminals. The guy who
                          was trying to rob a convenience store and left his wallet behind.
                          And with all the surveillance cameras, you can't hardly get away
                          with anything. But who wants to go through life looking over his
                          shoulder wondering "will I get caught today?" One man fled to
                          another state after a crime, but recently was picked up after 10
                          years. Ten years of looking over his shoulder.

                          No one can be truly happy when there is no peace. Life is
                          about being true to oneself. It's about hard work, and honest
                          living. It's about integrity and being able to look yourself in the
                          mirror.

                          Anything you can't be really proud of is an area that needs
                          improvement. It's not about getting even or seeking revenge, as we
                          sometimes feel. Guilt is a good indicator. What is it you feel the
                          worst about? You don't have to be a criminal to have things in your
                          life that beg for a deeper look. We can spend our lives trying to
                          prove to others what a "good" person we are, but we all deal with
                          being the same on the inside as we are on the outside.

                          I recently heard a man turn down an alcoholic drink. "I
                          know I can't handle it," he admitted. Wow. Humbling to be sure.
                          But he knew what he had to do. I don't know if he felt strong, but
                          he was really showing his strength. It takes a big person to admit
                          their weaknesses.

                          A woman I know realized she was yelling at her kids too
                          much. She sat down with herself one day and thought about it. She
                          realized it was the stress in her life, and had nothing to do with
                          her kids. It had also been a pattern in her family when she was
                          growing up, and she didn't like it. Right then and there she quit
                          yelling. She told me it wasn't even tempting once she figured out
                          why she was yelling.

                          A man had to quit a good job because he was being asked by
                          his superiors to do some dishonest things. He was told to look the
                          other way, at times. He did it for a while, but eventually, he
                          couldn't do it any longer. He quit. He gave up the paycheck.
                          Things were tough. He had to sell some "toys" that his family had
                          enjoyed. He may never find a job that pays as well. Maybe he will
                          move. But now he can live with himself. His life is already
                          better. He's spending more time with his kids. He hasn't even
                          realized that he did the right thing yet, because it still stings.
                          There is fallout to doing the right thing at times. Sometimes it
                          takes a while to realize you did the right thing. Simple living is
                          being right with yourself.

                          * * *
                          "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship,
                          communion, or company than a good marriage." ~~ David Ben-Gurion

                          Simple Squash Casserole

                          1 pound yellow squash, sliced,1 onion, finely chopped, 1 cup grated
                          Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup half and half, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 egg,
                          beaten, Dash of nutmeg, Salt and pepper to taste,1/2 cup cracker
                          crumbs, Paprika to taste

                          TO PREPARE:
                          Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam squash and onion until done.
                          Drain. Combine squash and onion in a large bowl, add cheese,half and
                          half, butter, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well. Place
                          mixture in a greased casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs and
                          paprika. Bake approximately 25-30 minutes until slightly browned.

                          Doesn't this recipe make you hungry for that fresh squash
                          from the garden? I can't wait to get my fingers in the soil, but
                          right now my garden is just a mucky mess. When you can walk on your
                          garden, you can plant peas, onions and a few other veggies that
                          frost won't hurt. It's almost here! It's not too late to plan how
                          big or small you want your garden. A grape tomato plant in a pot or
                          a –half-acre menagerie – it's up to you!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 28, 2006

                            "Gardening is the heart of simple living."

                            A special HI to all! Yesterday I found a local strawberry
                            farm, and bought 8 quarts of strawberries, just picked that
                            morning. There berries were fantastic! My friend had bought someat
                            a local fruit market, and they were all mushy. When she took them
                            back, she found out they were from Mexico! I don't know how long it
                            takes to get strawberries from Mexico to MI, but several days to be
                            sure! So if you want the most yummy berries, BUY LOCAL GROWN!

                            My hubby cleaned them, I chopped them up with my hand chopper,
                            the kind from Pampered Chef (works great) and made two batches of
                            jam. I like the reduced sugar Sure Jell. Making Jam is so easy. I
                            cook the jam, and put it in jars. My mom had given me all her
                            canning stuff, but when she saw my jam, she wished she had not given
                            it away! I gave her some jam, and told her we will do a batch
                            together.
                            For dinner, we had warm homemade biscuits, covered with
                            strawberries and whipped cream. The biscuits were still warm.
                            Yumm! I always use the recipe from the back of the Clabber Girl
                            biscuit can
                            1/3 c marg (the recipe calls for shortening, but this is better)
                            2 1/4 c flour
                            2 t Baking Powder
                            1/2 t salt
                            2 T. sugar (my addition)
                            about 3/4 c milk
                            The dough should be almost dry enough to not be sticky. If it's too
                            sticky, add a bit more flour. For good biscuits, don't stir it any
                            more than you have to. Put some flour on your pan ( I use a baking
                            stone) Preheat oven to 450`. Pat out the dough on the stone, using
                            a bit of flour under and on the dough. Pat out to 1/2 inch. Cut
                            with biscuit cutter, or glass. place one biscuit on top of the
                            other to make a double high biscuit. Bake for 12 minutes. THESE
                            ARE THE BEST BISCUITS EVER!!!! Very Simple. If you have biscuit
                            mix, just add 2 T. sugar. You can double this batch easily!

                            Now what is more simple than a strawberry dinner in summer???

                            * * *

                            From a tomato in a pot to crops in a huge plot, a garden
                            grounds us. It brings us back to basics. It makes us see what
                            matters. It gives us the responsibility to realize that when we
                            nurture something, we touch the earth, and it touches us back.
                            If every child had a plant to take care of, or maybe a small
                            garden, the violence in this world would be almost non-existent. We
                            all need to learn to nurture. A child who learns to grow things
                            doesn't want to hurt things, but learns to take care of things. We
                            need to feed and water a plant to get it to grow. Watch a gardener
                            walk among his plants. He talks to them. He waters them, feeds
                            them, trains them in their growth. He waits for them through long
                            winters and welcomes them each spring. And each morning, he walks
                            among his plants, touching them, enjoying the fragrances, noticing
                            what kind of care his plants need. Weeds are plucked, flowers
                            deadheaded to encourage more blooming, watering here, harvesting
                            there. And then, enjoying the fruits of his labor. Sliced
                            strawberries on a bowl of cereal for breakfast, an onion slice on a
                            hamburger for dinner, or an ear of juicy-sweet corn steaming and
                            dripping with butter for dessert.
                            Gardening is a peaceful endeavor. Gardening is inexpensive –
                            from the cost of a seed packet or two, to the cost of a flat of a
                            variety of plants. Maybe a pot and some potting soil and a bit of
                            fertilizer. But when combined with some freezing, drying and
                            canning, it can be a money maker. Think of the cost of strawberry
                            jam for a year. Now think of the cost of a few jar lids and some
                            pectin, and you have free jam for a year! Gardening can be good
                            exercise, from building a new plot with a shovel (the best way), or
                            it can be merely relaxing by planting a few plants in a pot and
                            watering them.
                            However you choose to garden is your choice. But no matter
                            how you do it, it will make the world a better place. Even with a
                            few weeds, (and not all weeds are a nuisance) No doubt about it – it
                            makes your corner of the world a great place to start!
                            * * *

                            "Hope is seldom found in the things we can see; it is the sweet
                            fragrance of grace."

                            "I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find
                            out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to
                            find out there is." ~~ unknown

                            "If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written
                            upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old."~ ~James A.
                            Garfield
                            * * *
                            Simple Watering
                            Having a garden means watering. But watering doesn't have
                            to be expensive. Water plants well, and mulch with newspaper,
                            plastic, leaves saved from last fall, grass clippings, or old strips
                            of carpet. When mulched, plants need little watering unless it is
                            very dry.
                            If you must water, consider it a pleasure to walk among your
                            plants and water each plant. It gives each plant a good drink, as
                            well as a chance to observe insect problems, and also doesn't water
                            the weeds like a sprinkler would do. Watering each plant starves
                            the weeds. After watering, take a few more moments once a week to
                            move your hoe lightly along the surface of the soil. That is all it
                            takes to eliminate the small weeds. No large equipment needed. Or,
                            if you have a large garden, do several rows a day. Keeping it
                            simple in the garden.

                            * * *
                            Simple BLT's and Strawberry Shortcake

                            Fry up some bacon and slice up a nice juicy tomato from the
                            garden, and wash some bibb lettuce from the garden. Add some salad
                            dressing and you are on your way to a great sandwich dinner. Slice
                            some strawberries and mix in a bit of sugar or splenda. Spoon over
                            ice cream, with a dollop of whip cream. Put a sweet biscuit under
                            it for shortcake. To make easy biscuits, use a biscuit mix, adding
                            a tablespoon or two to a batch making them just slightly sweet.
                            Warm biscuits, fresh from the oven, under your shortcake is truly
                            the best strawberry shortcake there is!

                            Keeping Summer Simple,
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 25, 2007

                              Lessons for the Garden

                              A garden that one makes oneself becomes associated with one's
                              personal history and that of one's friends, interwoven with one's
                              tastes, preferences, and character, and constitutes a sort of
                              unwritten...autobiography. ~Alfred Austin

                              "If we make our goal to live a life of compassion and unconditional
                              love, then the world will indeed become a garden where all kinds of
                              flowers can bloom and grow." Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

                              * * *
                              This week we put up a new arbor, painted Buttercream. I
                              mixed the color, adding just a little yellow paint to some white I
                              already had. It is not easy to paint an arbor, there are a lot of
                              nooks and crannies, but I did get it all covered. I had a
                              beautiful `heavenly blue' morning glory to climb up it, along with a
                              few other colors, and when it was all put together, the effect was
                              beautiful! I had some morning glories that came up from seed on
                              their own. But I had to transplant them. Why is it when they come
                              up from seed, they don't come up where they should be? The next
                              morning they were looking pretty wilted, even though I was so
                              careful. By the next day, though, they were looking healthier. They
                              are going to make it!

                              In the garden we are still planting some seeds. With no rain
                              now for a week, we are sure to give lots of water to our healthy
                              plants. Especially when they are just coming up, they really need
                              water every day to help keep them strong. It's getting harder to
                              find seeds, but there is still lots of time to plant things like
                              radishes, beans, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, and many favorites.
                              Even some plants that need a longer growing time, can be found with
                              shorter days to harvest. Good care helps, too. The proper watering
                              and fertilizing help to get plants producing. Too much dryness,
                              stunts growth, and keeps the plant just hanging on instead of setting
                              fruit.

                              So, if you are wanting to plant some fall crops, pick up your
                              seeds while you can still find them! If you have extra seeds,
                              storing them in a cool, dry environment can help lengthen their shelf
                              life. I keep mine in tins, veggie seeds in one, flower seeds in the
                              other.

                              For watering plants around my deck, I use tap water that
                              would normally go down the drain. My tap runs almost a gallon of
                              water before the water gets hot in the kitchen, but I don't just let
                              it run down the drain, I use it to water the plants close to the
                              house, and a few indoor plants. I try to conserve when possible.
                              Keeping my fertilizer right under the sink makes it easy to add to
                              the water.
                              * * *

                              Simple Pork Chops
                              4 to 6 pork chops
                              1 cup ketchup
                              1 cup Coke
                              Brown pork chops and place in baking dish. Mix Coke and ketchup
                              together and pour over pork chops. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for
                              45 minutes. You could also grill these, wrapped in foil, on a medium
                              grill. Nice and tender!

                              * * *
                              No one has an exclusive on opportunity. When the sun rises, it rises
                              for everyone. ~~Chinese proverb

                              When your bow is broken and your last arrow spent, then shoot--shoot
                              with your whole heart. ~~Zen proverb

                              columns.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 28, 2008

                                We can stay young by focusing on a dream instead of on a regret.

                                Simple Good Oatmeal Muffins

                                1 C Old-fashioned Oatmeal
                                1 C Milk
                                mix and let sit for 5 minutes
                                Add:
                                1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
                                1/3 c brown sugar
                                ½ t salt
                                ¼ c oil
                                1 egg
                                1 c flour
                                1 t cinnamon
                                1 T baking powder

                                scoop into greased muffin cups. Makes about 8 muffins. Bake @ 425
                                for 20 minutes until golden brown.
                                * * *
                                Special Delivery

                                When you wish to give a plant to someone in the hospital, put
                                together your own and take it to the hospital to the volunteer desk
                                with the patient's name and room number. It'll be "delivered" by the
                                volunteers just like the florist shop items! This can save a lot of
                                money because you use your own container purchased from a thrift
                                store or garage sale and your own plant and make your own delivery.
                                The patient just knows that you were thinking of him/her, and then
                                you can make a visit later that day or the next day if you are in the
                                same vicinity. Try it. No one questions your dropping off a gift to
                                be delivered. This also gives you incentive to repot those `extra'
                                plants, like those extra baby spiders plants, or take cuttings from
                                your philodendra. Even orchids make baby plants you can get starts
                                from! When you get them established, you can get them potted up in a
                                nice pot for a birthday or "cheer –up" gift. You could also look for
                                clearance plant sales, just to get a start! When a friend gave me an
                                orchid, she also gave me a note card with instructions for care, and
                                the likes and dislikes of the particular plant. It's easy to look up
                                plant names on the internet and make your own little plant cards and
                                keep them in a filebox for your own reference.

                                * * *
                                I try to get out every day and get some fresh air, and go for a
                                walk. Even though I don't often feel like getting out, especially
                                when the wind can be so frigid, but I really enjoy it, once I get out
                                there. The past few days 6(!)Bluebirds have been entertaining us
                                right in front of our bay window. I was watching them this morning,
                                and the thought crossed my mind that maybe we were the ones being
                                watched. Maybe they feel sorry for us, thinking we are stuck in the
                                cage called a house? Who knows who is the watcher and the watchee!
                                They flit about and sing, and ruffle up their feathers to look
                                bigger, and now that there are 6 instead of 2, and even though there
                                is about a foot of snow still, there they are. If they can stand the
                                cold and the snow, just maybe I will make it too. While they have
                                cheered me up this morning, who can I cheer up today?

                                * * *
                                I have been spending a lot of spare time working on our family
                                history this winter. There are a lot of free sites you can access
                                from the Internet, just by searching genealogy, family history sites,
                                etc. I am combing through family photo albums, and notes as far back
                                as I can find. The other day I was able to add my Great
                                grandmother's middle name (Nora), and some other details, all one at
                                a time. It's like adding more and more pieces to a puzzle. I hope
                                to just keep adding more and more. I even found a cousin Sue, that I
                                have never met on the internet. We share a great-great grandfather!
                                If you are looking for a simple, and yet meaningful hobby, family
                                history is really fun, and it can get creative and artistic. You can
                                find lots of ideas at libraries, and most local libraries have
                                genealogical societies, that will be glad to lend you a hand, and
                                point you in the right direction.

                                Email: thesimple_life@...
                                columns.